IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

I tellsya, if Shinto maintains his current production quality on his Jaguar GBG podcast, he'll need to clear some space on his desk for a POTY award in a few months.

Well deserved! the POTY is more of a popularity thingy than a actual vote thingy :P however, Shinto would win the vote as well :)

I still like the mention colecovisions podcast got for "best intro to colecovisions podcast as done by Ferg" To funny :P.

I be a rebel!

• Like 1

So in today's news:

Electric Dreams BBS Podcast is in limbo: confirmed by the podcaster. Shame, since I was really getting into that 'cast.

There was talk on Cartridge Freaks on a Nintendo 64 game by game podcast. It will be separate from Cartridge Freaks, which released episodes very infrequently, and it wasn't much about video gaming.

I'm looking forward to the TI-99/4A 'cast coverage on the next Floppy Days.

• Like 1

Well deserved! the POTY is more of a popularity thingy than a actual vote thingy :P however, Shinto would win the vote as well :)

I still like the mention colecovisions podcast got for "best intro to colecovisions podcast as done by Ferg" To funny :P.

I be a rebel!

Still think Intellivisionaries needs a Poddie :), they inspired me to do Colecovisions and are great to listen to!

• Like 1

Wow! Ferg uttered it!

For the record (whose, I'm not sure), my own problem with the phrase "back in the day" since the first time I heard it years ago is that it seems to imply that today isn't the "day." It comes from that sad mindset that sees the past as better than the present. What an awful way to live that would be.

So, as usual, I read too deeply into slang. :D Also, however, it just sounds kinda dumb. It's like "such-and-such is a thing" and other forcibly adopted, modern teenybopper phrases.

Anyway, my actual point of this post is to commend the new level of production and drama attained on the 2600 GbG Podcast. Awesome job.

• Like 3

Wow! Ferg uttered it!

For the record (whose, I'm not sure), my own problem with the phrase "back in the day" since the first time I heard it years ago is that it seems to imply that today isn't the "day." It comes from that sad mindset that sees the past as better than the present. What an awful way to live that would be.

So, as usual, I read too deeply into slang. :D Also, however, it just sounds kinda dumb. It's like "such-and-such is a thing" and other forcibly adopted, modern teenybopper phrases.

Anyway, my actual point of this post is to commend the new level of production and drama attained on the 2600 GbG Podcast. Awesome job.

Actually, Ferg used 'the phrase' in a recent episode of the Intatarivisions also....a great podcast you should be listening to if you're not. I think it was the Venture one.

The opening skit for the Waterworld episode was great! My favorite lines:

"Don't use that phrase"

"Country music? Oh boy, this is worse then I thought!"

(sigh) "This game is shit."

• Like 1

If I'm writing/typing I'll usu. use BITD, though I'm leaning toward "back in the Ferg" now. In a spoken conversation I'll say "back in the day" as no one I talk to outside of here knows what a "Ferg" is. Maybe I'll start saying "what the Ferg?" (WTF)

Also, I find myself humming/singing "addenda & erra-ta" a lot. Thanks, Pie Factory.

• Like 3

Thank you guys. :) For the record, I did not actually say the phrase, the alternate time stream version of me said it. I didn't think it was right to bleep that, because he didn't know.

Back in the Ferg is amazingly flattering, thank you Jim for starting that.

Also, skits are hard. That will be the peak of my production capabilities I think, so I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I am overwhelmed with everyone's kindness and appreciation towards me. Thank you! :)

• Like 5

124.png

Episode 124 is part 2 of our special interview with Lorne Lanning, gaming legend and all round dude. Lorne is best known for heading up Oddworld Inhabitants, home of the Oddworld game series.

For the lowdown on New and Tasty and the ways you can buy Oddworld games head over to: http://www.oddworld.com

Please remember to give us your vote for Best Video Game Podcast in the UK Podcaster Awards Vote here.

Arcade Mugs link: http://www.arcademugs.com

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/retro-asylum-podcast/id474414834?mt=2

http://traffic.libsyn.com/retroasylum/retro124.mp3

• Like 1

You know, I am hearing a lot of "bitd" on many retro gaming podcasts without even referencing Ferg. Must be a retro podcast thing, not unlike a certain SquareSoft RPG series that gets namedropped.

I think in the retro gaming community—where we talk about things we enjoy today, that we originally discovered a long time ago, often with extended periods of “down time” in between—there is a strong need for words and phrases in the vernacular that can be used to rapidly distinguish between the experiences and conditions of “now” vs. “then”.

I think the phrase “back in the day” is so prominent because, like it or hate it, those four syllables get the intended point across quickly and efficiently.

Some phrases can get used and abused for years and never wear out their welcome, but unfortunately, some phrases take on a decidedly irritating character with excessive repetition. For me, “back in the day” falls into the latter category. Another phrase that podcast listening has made me hate is “that being said,” “having said that,” and all variants thereof.

• Like 1

"Back in the day" doesn't bother me. Nor does "that said" et al. I'd like to think I / we don't overuse them to the point of annoyance on The Intellivisionaries. But if in fact we do, what are acceptable alternatives? And are they only acceptable because they are used less?

"In the days of our youth"

"Back in the heyday of console gaming"

"In 1982..."

?

It's purely subjective with me. It's fun and merely in-context to talk about why I don't use certain phrases, but I don't think anyone should change the way he talks because of my preferences or anyone else's -- ever, let alone when he undertakes a massive amount of work to create something, whereas the spectators don't have to do anything but enjoy the results. The artist's first responsibility is to himself. He's the one trading pieces of his life to create things.

The reason Ferg's vocalized distaste for "b.i.t.d." has yielded camaraderie-based jokes and, in effect, comically communicated tribute and respect from other showmakers, is that he has a great knack for talking about any annoyance in a very lighthearted tone that's devoid of arrogance, whereas it would sound grumpy if someone with a different voice and demeanor were to discuss it.

Damn, I can be wordy.

• Like 2

Is it true that others besides the castmaster (I couldn't think of a word, so I've made one up) can submit a podcast for consideration by iTunes? If so, is it also true that having "bad words" in the show will disqualify the podcast?

If both of those are true (this is turning into a mathematical equation), would the deliberate insertion of a "bad word" at the beginning of one's first episode allow him to avoid being clandestinely submitted for iTunes approval?

Thanks. They're extreme beginner's questions, but I'm into learning by asking.

Seriously, getting a podcast approved iTunes is a hassle. You need to provide your RSS settings and hope they're right. (And if not you better hope that your feeder will allow you to alter the settings.)

So, yeah...to get your podcast approved, you need the RSS info.

But once you get approved, it's automated from there. You publish from your blog or whatever is powering the RSS feed and iTunes updates automatically.

When you submit to iTunes, you have to let them know if there's "explicit language." And if it does, it's labeled as such when it's published.

Heck, even if a podcast is approved without explicit language, you can still get away with publishing an episode with some choice words; after all, once you're approved, the postings are automatic...once you submit your podcast via your blog, iTunes updates its feed within seconds (if THAT long). One of my favorite podcast is very family-friendly but there are a couple of episodes in which they forgot to censor a few words but nobody died. I think the worst that'll happen is someone can report you.

• Like 2