IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

It makes you wonder what kind of person criticizes those who create, in lieu of remaining passive and just soaking up a lot of television (or whatever). There must be some kind of desperate rationalization going on there. "I cannot do; therefore, I criticize." It's certainly nothing new.

It's funny that those who've never recorded podcasts (or anything similar) presume such ease. Until one tries to improvise for an hour or six with ongoing coherence, he can't possibly know that "anyone with a microphone" can't do it -- nor can he realize how much preparation and editing it takes to make it sound "easy." It's got a lot in common with music that way.

Over the past couple of years, I've healed my nerves from a relationship with a sociopathic, borderline woman who put on a great sanity act at the beginning; sworn off women for life (I'm lucky -- I love solitude, and I don't have a loneliness gland); changed jobs; changed homes; and experienced a three-month phase of acute insomnia. The latter happens to my over-energetic ass every five or six years. None of these circumstances were related to each other, but the job and insomnia happened to overlap. I found myself walking to and from work, the store, etc. with severe fatigue, knowing that in spite of my exhaustion, I wouldn't fall asleep when I finally got home and lay down; wondering if it was ever going to end; and missing a certain little girl (who I'd helped to raise) terribly. Getting over it. Being grateful that masculinity keeps my emotions from controlling my actions. You know how sleep deprivation can magnify the hell out of everything, though.

I didn't go on leave, because I wanted to make sure I didn't skip any work while saving up for a new drum set. I'd beat my last one to death after twenty years. I've had no musical outlet of the more violent and satisfying kind, even though I sure could use one (guitars and pianos aren't quite the same, y'know?).

Even for Mr. Optimism here, it's been a hell of a recent ride. Happily, I'm on the downhill side. Now, that's a C-Major couplet if ever I heard one.

I like to consider myself a level-headed, good-humored guy. We all have our brief dips in the rabbit hole, though, to greater or lesser depths. Here's what I've been getting at with all of this unsolicited verbosity: Without the frequent earphone stream of friends -- never mind that I've never actually met them -- talking enthusiastically and amicably about a subject with which I've been fascinated throughout most of my life, I don't know what I would have done.

I'll never be able to articulate to any of you how much your shows have meant to me, nor the extent of my gratitude for all of your work. Finding that there's a new episode always makes me as excited as I was on Christmas morning in the '80s.

So to anyone who doesn't get it, so to speak, and feels the need to explain this in various negative terms to whomever will read his typing, I offer this humble blessing: May your shit come to life and kiss you.

Edited by Chris++
  • Like 6

I'll never be able to articulate to any of you how much your shows have meant to me, nor the extent of my gratitude for all of your work. Finding that there's a new episode always makes me as excited as I was on Christmas morning in the '80s.

So to anyone who doesn't get it, so to speak, and feels the need to explain this in various negative terms to whomever will read his typing, I offer this humble blessing: May your shit come to life and kiss you.

Well said, Chris (as always). I second that blessing, adding that I'm hoping for a French kiss - a really DEEP movie style one.

Sent from my Intellivision ECS using Intelli-Tapatalk

• Like 3

Yep, the criticism can get out of hand. Arkay and I left the 5200 podcast because of all the negative feedback it was getting "you should let Ferg do this" was the most common comment I got, others were not so "nice". I also get alot of negative stuff for Colecovisions, Channel F but surprisingly nothing for Intarivisions (probably because Ferg, Rick and Nurmix are on there) and The Toy Tomb Podcast (for now until the diehard toy enthusiasts find me :P). I have considered leaving Intarivisions and let Ferg, Nurmix and Rick just do it, probably would get more of a following if I did :P

I mainly like to talk about the games, what I like about them and such. I dont get in depth like other podcasts do, its mainly what I enjoy about the system and games and sharing the passion with others.

I am trying to finish out the Channel F Files (6 more carts to go) then may do a short series on the Microvision (12 carts, nice and short :P)

Dont know why I wanted to start podcasting, should have just stayed making vids :P

• Like 3

Listening to Arcade Outsiders(many podcasts are on a summer break now). One voice mail left to them got hardcore into discussing aspects about the main topic of the show: arcade games. They noted that. After that voicemail, the discussion veered away from arcade games into wrestling & other non-arcade game topics.

They should talk more about arcade games.

Yep, the criticism can get out of hand. Arkay and I left the 5200 podcast because of all the negative feedback it was getting "you should let Ferg do this" was the most common comment I got, others were not so "nice". I also get alot of negative stuff for Colecovisions, Channel F but surprisingly nothing for Intarivisions (probably because Ferg, Rick and Nurmix are on there) and The Toy Tomb Podcast (for now until the diehard toy enthusiasts find me :P). I have considered leaving Intarivisions and let Ferg, Nurmix and Rick just do it, probably would get more of a following if I did :P

I mainly like to talk about the games, what I like about them and such. I dont get in depth like other podcasts do, its mainly what I enjoy about the system and games and sharing the passion with others.

I am trying to finish out the Channel F Files (6 more carts to go) then may do a short series on the Microvision (12 carts, nice and short :P)

Dont know why I wanted to start podcasting, should have just stayed making vids :P

This crap always makes me sad. Willie, you're one of the most positive, fun-loving guys doing podcasts. I consider myself lucky to be on Intarivisions with you, and have enjoyed the last couple of CORGS shows where we got to hang out together. I can't identify with anyone who would be negative about any of the podcasting stuff you do. "Let Ferg do this" - as if you pushed Ferg out of involvement or something! And just stating the obvious: Ferg can do a 5200 show if he wants to. Nothing's stopping him.

Oh hai, Ferg! :)

Anyway, I really enjoy your podcast shows, Willie. Anything you put out goes right to the top of my podcast player for the day's listening.

• Like 6

Don't be hard on yourself. Forget what the haters say. And yes, I know I'm one of the biggest podcast curmudgeons on this thread. I listen to all your casts and enjoy them. The Toy Tomb is fun since these were all toys that were before my childhood timeframe. You give love to the lesser-known consoles.

• Like 6

thevnaguy, on 15 Jul 2016 - 10:12 AM, said:

You do awesome work Willie and it sucks you felt 'forced' out. I don't comment as much as I should, but I LOVE all your podcasts and work and wish that you would do more. :) Most of us are the 'silent majority' who think the podcasts are awesome but are too busy or think it wouldn't be read if we sent in feedback. Don't let that small vocal minority bother you. That reminds me, I really need to find time to send in something for Toy Tomb. :)

• Like 4

I agree, I love all the podcasts that Willie does and I like his style as well. Like Rick said, when his podcasts show up in the feed, they go right to the front (sorry Marc Maron :-D). I like listening to people who have a passion for games talk about them, and Willie has that in spades. I feel bad that he was compared to me, we are two different people and we each do things differently. If you want a 5200 podcast in my style, go and do it. It's not so easy when you're the one actually creating it. I think we all as podcasters do the best we can and that's really all we can do. If you like it, terrific! If not, that's okay too. Just move along or create your own. That's one of the reasons I started mine, my era was not well represented in podcasts.

Podcasts are, for the most part, free. We do it because we like it. We have to be happy with it, so we do it the way we want. If you have constructive criticism, we will listen. We may not implement it, because that is our prerogative. This is supposed to be a fun hobby talking about our other fun hobbies, so let's try and keep it that way.

To Willie: I love talking with you and Rick and Paul on Intarivisions. I don't care about the following, and I think you're wrong about that anyway. :) I just like talking with you guys about games every month, so I hope you will stay.

• Like 6

Wow! I'm shocked that you would get sooo much negative criticism, Willie. I know there are always critics, but that really surprises me. You do top notch work and have high production values to boot. It's a shame about the 5200 Super Podcast too. I never played a 5200, but enjoyed listening to the cast, and that should say a lot. Just keep on making whatever podcasts and videos you want to make!!!

60646ce6357192fc0252aa336282ea0a.jpg

• Like 4

Wow! I'm shocked that you would get sooo much negative criticism, Willie. I know there are always critics, but that really surprises me. You do top notch work and have high production values to boot. It's a shame about the 5200 Super Podcast too. I never played a 5200, but enjoyed listening to the cast, and that should say a lot. Just keep on making whatever podcasts and videos you want to make!!!

This times a thousand! Willie is hilarious and a lot of fun to listen to. I'll put any podcast he does on my list.

• Like 4

Everybody's had one of those times where they talked and talked and forgot to hit record, or had a guest and the guest's connection was horrible, and such the audio was unusable.

I think the hall of fame winner was on RetroGaming Roundup with Jerri Ellisworth. You could barely hear her, but you could hear SoCalMike breathing. Kinda funny. :)

• Like 1

I think the hall of fame winner was on RetroGaming Roundup with Jerri Ellisworth. You could barely hear her, but you could hear SoCalMike breathing. Kinda funny. :)

I can one up that on my previous podcast....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

10 days is too long. Check out Retro Game Squad while you still can:

http://www.retrogamesquad.com/

I mentioned in this thread that I stopped listening because they never went beyond the NES. But now I can listen at 1.5 speed! Bwahahahahaha! I probably will skip the imports show though, I don't have much interest in those.

It seems like a SoCal kind of thing to do, but I think that was actually Scott's breathing that ruined a great interview. I remember telling someone about listening to the interview and saying how Jeri's comment that her favorite thing to do when she was young was to go to the Boeing surplus store was the hottest thing I ever heard a girl say. I was then informed that she batted for the other team, but I stood by my statement.

A new podcast has arrived!

The 16/32 podcast - Wade's Atari ST podcast is out. Wade, can you post the URL?

rss: http://1632podcast.info/categorypodcast/feed/

2 things to note for other podcasters:

1) Google has altered the podcast submission criteria since InverseATASCII was submitted. They now require the <iTunes:email> meta tag, which WordPress.com doesn't embed. So, while InverseATASCII is on Google Play, 1632 is not. I have a support ticket open with them regarding it.

2) WordPress.com altered their plans since I setup InverseATASCII two years ago. You now have to purchase the premium plan to host audio or video files. That plan is 8.50 per month (on sale for me at least at 6.50 per month right now). Since I'm already paying for domains, extra storage, and a custom theme for IA, I don't want to incur another cost. So I'm hosting the audio files from inverseATASCII. I thought this might break some syndicators because the feed URL domain was different than the media URL domain, but iTunes didn't care, so hopefully the others won't either. So, if you look at the feed, the media files are actually coming from inverseatascii.info.

• Like 1