IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

So who's gonna be the first to do a podcast about retro-gaming podcasts? (essentially, the audio version of this thread). Is that too META?

We did, on NYPWP. The "Metapod" episode. And any Poddies awards. Never too meta for this crazy gang.

• Like 3

I thought of that, but I guessed he meant an ongoing 'cast, which to me would be a wordy rundown of ofher weekly podcast happenings & subjects.

& listening to Retro Junkies Minis, they're both saying "Jag-wire" instead of "Jag-war." Like nails down a chalkboard to me. & it's not a case of "potato-potawto", it's just WRONG.

Like people who say "counsel" instead of "console".

I thought of that, but I guessed he meant an ongoing 'cast, which to me would be a wordy rundown of ofher weekly podcast happenings & subjects.

& listening to Retro Junkies Minis, they're both saying "Jag-wire" instead of "Jag-war." Like nails down a chalkboard to me. & it's not a case of "potato-potawto", it's just WRONG.

I like playin' ma colecavision sittin on the front pourch sippin ma hootch. dat is til lullabelle, dat hussie, make me go a workin those fields...

Accents are a different story. If it's a regional dialect, then it's excusable (& if too thick or strong then I personally likely wont listen) but AFAIK these guys aren't regional, but mispronouncing the word & it bugs me.

I suppose for as many podcasts as I listen to, I should be much more tolerable of voice & speech patterns. Actually lately I'm getting corrected for using "them" instead of "those", as in "move them toys outta the way."

Twin Cities Minnesotan born & raised. Yee-haw don'cha know.

Am I the only one who felt like I was being "talked AT" in the latest (Ms. Pac-Man) No Quarter? OK, OK, I get it, the game is sexist, and we're all evil for even thinking about enjoying it.

First time I ever used fast forward in one of their episodes...

• Like 1

I either missed it or didnt care the 1st listen, but the 2nd time around I noted a definite shift/point where they kinda gear up for this discussion. I'll bet they went down that road because that's the best discussion angle for the game & generated the most conversation/content for the show.

You almost HAVE TO mention the gender thing when talkin' Ms Pac.

Oh & a few posts back, I meant "tolerant", not "tolerable"- I get them there words mixed up.

Edited by RJ

I either missed it or didnt care the 1st listen, but the 2nd time around I noted a definite shift/point where they kinda gear up for this discussion. I'll bet they went down that road because that's the best discussion angle for the game & generated the most conversation/content for the show.

You almost HAVE TO mention the gender thing when talkin' Ms Pac.

Mention it, sure. But devote 1/3 of the show to it? Maybe it was just a ploy to gain more female listeners?

[emoji6]

Aaaaand this is the second recent ep. of Retro League that I skipped. A guest, hyping a new '90s-style cyberpunk game, basically said (I admittedly boiled this down to a core statement) anyone currently age 25+ who disagrees with his political & social viewpoints will, in the future, be deemed "old & useless". Nice attitude, sonny. I literally gasped, & deleted the ep.

I'm guessing he alienated a good chunk of RL's audience. Was there a disclaimer or apology issued later in the show? Maybe he said "old & toothless". My hearing's going. I'm already halfway to useless.

• Like 1

Aaaaand this is the second recent ep. of Retro League that I skipped. A guest, hyping a new '90s-style cyberpunk game, basically said (I admittedly boiled this down to a core statement) anyone currently age 25+ who disagrees with his political & social viewpoints will, in the future, be deemed "old & useless". Nice attitude, sonny. I literally gasped, & deleted the ep.

Thanks for allowing me to retain a bit more storage space on my iPhone, S!

Heh. I'm not S. I want the credit when they come looking for us.

Doh! Sorry RJ, I know. Just not paying close attention when I quickly replied with TapaTalk. That said, sometimes you and S1500 have such similar views here that you blend together.

[emoji6]

• Like 3

Seems Retro League had a dual-upload, a standard ep. posted same day as that interview. Wish their "Atari 2600 or iPhone shovelware" went on longer, esp. since it was in the shownotes. Woulda been fun. Weekly feature maybe? RL needs some fun stuff.

& no one on Intellivisionaries laughed, groaned, or reacted otherwise toward the end (when "tackling" football was mentioned) that Thin Ice is a COOL game...

C'MON GUYS! YOU'RE SLIPPIN!

Ha! See what I did there?

& no one on Intellivisionaries laughed, groaned, or reacted otherwise toward the end (when "tackling" football was mentioned) that Thin Ice is a COOL game...

C'MON GUYS! YOU'RE SLIPPIN!

Ha! See what I did there?

Nice one! That's why we have you, RJ, to correct us when we 'fall through the ice' on a potential joke (ugh! OK, I'm reaching here, that was a pretty 'thin' reference).

Anyway, when we got to that point in the episode, it was around 3:30 am for Rick and Will, 12:30 am my time, and we'd been recording for about 3 hours, skating on the edge of mental meltdown.

The ice of our creative puns was beginning to thaw, and our comedy blades weren't as sharp as they were when we started. Our brains needed a refreshing Zamboni resurfacing.

OK, I'll stop now.

• Like 1

OK that's a 2 minute penalty for too many puns on the "ice"!

[Paul]: Hangs head in shame, as he skates a rectangle around the referee on his way to the penalty box, after which a loud CRACK is heard, and the referee plunges into the frigid water, transforming instantly into an ice cube.

If you're wired to pay attention to language, then developing pet peeves when listening to podcasts is probably unavoidable. "Jag-wire" is a long-standing one of mine, as is the use of the word "arcade" to refer to an "arcade game", as in "let's go play some arcades!".

Lately, I've developed two new ones. The first is the overuse (I'd call it abuse) of the word "iconic". I get the intended meaning, but throwing it around indiscriminately dilutes its meaning. Not everything memorable or slightly popular from the 80's is "iconic". The image of Pac-Man is "iconic" in the world of video games; to attribute that descriptor to Dig Dug or Moon Patrol is a stretch.

The second is the word "graphically", as in "graphically, this game is better on the NES". I suppose an argument could be made that this usage is technically correct, but it just sounds awful to me. The word "graphically" more commonly means "vividly", not "with respect to graphics".

I fully understand I'm probably alone on these, and that's fine, I don't expect them to change. :D

• Like 2

Yeah, that's what I meant, RJ. A monthly podcast discussing the good and the bad of retro-gaming podcasts.

We could call it "TOO Worthy Video Game Podcasts" ...or "Not Too Worthy...", depending on the show being discussed.

:-D

Of course all of us here with existing podcasts are ineligible to host the show.

;)

• Like 1

If you're wired to pay attention to language, then developing pet peeves when listening to podcasts is probably unavoidable. "Jag-wire" is a long-standing one of mine, as is the use of the word "arcade" to refer to an "arcade game", as in "let's go play some arcades!".

"Arcade" in that context bugs me too, Cynicaster.

One that seems to make frequent appearances in gaming podcasts is the ever popular "I SEEN it" (or variations, such as "I SEEN this game", "I SEEN this guy playing an arcade")... Ugh! I involuntarily cringe and twitch whenever I hear it.

We could call it "TOO Worthy Video Game Podcasts" ...or "Not Too Worthy...", depending on the show being discussed.

Of course all of us here with existing podcasts are ineligible to host the show.

;)

Perfectly eligible. You just described the Poddie Awards, where a podcaster(myself) will freely praise & bash other podcasts without sugar coating the truth. Even one's own podcast is not spared!

Mike of RetroGamingRoundup(I think) talked about these other podcasts that were modern gaming ones that were getting tons of more traffic than their own. Okay, I got something mixed up here. It was some podcaster that was yakking about the modern gaming podcasts on the same network getting way more traffic. and I agree with him.

Yeah, that's what I meant, RJ. A monthly podcast discussing the good and the bad of retro-gaming podcasts.

;)

Me, if you dont like it - cool. If you do - cool. I do the best I can with ColecoVisions and The Channel F Files. I have no audio editing experience and such, robotics engineering is my stock and trade. I dont worry anymore of what others think like I used to (I had considered stopping a few times). I just go with the flow and talk about what I love, old games. For me its all about getting together to share common interests in a media to allow others to share in the fun. I think good constructive critism is very appreciated, we all come from different walks of life with different accents and ways we talk. Different is good, would be rather boring if everyone sounded the exact same way. all our podcasts have something that someone, somewhere drives them nuts. Be it the "UMS" every other word, stuttering, misprouncements, etc... The thing to keep in mind is to provide constructive feedback as to not drive away any potential new podcasters.

After all that, I am a shoe in now for the Brown Potty award :) or at least some good whippins on here :)

• Like 3