IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

they did display more knowledge than the retronauts on the subject and their show is free, so i give them a pass.

the retronauts are my mendozza line. yes its a low bar, but crossing that line means you at least have serious interest in the subject.

We all have gaps in our knowledge where we don't specialize in. I mean, I'm betting the retronauts know where the magic item is in the 5th dungeon of Final Fantasy 4 off the top of their head, but I don't.

I mean c'mon, that's like not knowing Hideo Kajima's birthday! *geek snort*

SAG's main host is named Chris & I like him more & more each episode. Not only does he seem the most knowledgeable, when they do the "what're you playing" segment, the other guys are all current-gen, but my man Chris is out buying Atari 2600 games like Absolute's SkateBoardin' or CIB Plaque Attack.

'Atta boy. Keeping it retro.

No, I DIDN'T know David Crane did SkateBoardin'. This thing about people not knowing what I think they oughta, goes back to "Jeopardy!" last Tues when no one knew the Ghostbusters' car is the "ECTO-1". I asked 10 co-workers, & they didnt know either. Color me amazed.

• Like 1

SAG's main host is named Chris & I like him more & more each episode. Not only does he seem the most knowledgeable, when they do the "what're you playing" segment, the other guys are all current-gen, but my man Chris is out buying Atari 2600 games like Absolute's SkateBoardin' or CIB Plaque Attack.

'Atta boy. Keeping it retro.

No, I DIDN'T know David Crane did SkateBoardin'. This thing about people not knowing what I think they oughta, goes back to "Jeopardy!" last Tues when no one knew the Ghostbusters' car is the "ECTO-1". I asked 10 co-workers, & they didnt know either. Color me amazed.

I grabbed what I believe is the most recent episode and a girl on the show started gushing about Final Fantasy and I was done.

Oooh, ouch. I always start as early as I can in a show's history, Im on SAG #12 currently but when I hit the latest ep. I'll keep my ears open to steer clear. Something about a mermaid & a cat?

I also noticed as the SAG eps. go along there's a bit more & more current-gen talk; everyone but Chris seems to be modern gamers, & one guy never fails to mention his PS4. Chris seems to be the only true Stone Ager.

I hope it's not (d)evolving into "Digital Age Gamer". :ponder:

Maybe the girl is a guest, for a one-off FF ep? She's not a regular host, at least not by show #12. A female perspective can be interesting & appreciated- I'd welcome a real retrogaming girl's presence on a show, unless it's Jenn Frank or Kat Bailey actually speaking. The Insert Coin host's wife didnt help him much.

Also, it's probably my ears wearing out, but I cant hear podcasts over the industrial machinery at work anymore. So now I listen only about 2 hrs total to/from/at work (down from around 10 hrs) & any chance I get at home, or any other solo commute (both rare).

By New Year's my ears might be broken altogether. My wife already thinks so. ;)

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

Oooh, ouch. I always start as early as I can in a show's history, Im on SAG #12 currently but when I hit the latest ep. I'll keep my ears open to steer clear. Something about a mermaid & a cat?

I hope it's not (d)evolving into "Digital Age Gamer". :ponder:

I usually start at the beginning too, but I'll do a quick preview of a couple other episodes first to see if I want to start at the beginning.

I'll try another episode or two. And perhaps the girl was a guest.

• Like 1

Unsubbed from SAG in disgust. Dont even bother listening into the double-digit episodes. I really wanted SAG to be worthwhile, had so much potential. High hopes dashed.

Chris should do a "Retro Solo-cast" or "Solo RetroCast" or something. I feel sorry for him.

Edited by RJ

Unsubbed from SAG in disgust. Dont even bother listening into the double-digit episodes. I really wanted SAG to be worthwhile, had so much potential. High hopes dashed.

Chris should do a "Retro Solo-cast" or "Solo RetroCast" or something. I feel sorry for him.

And with that, the love affair is over. I can relate when it comes to dating. There's excitement, passion, drinks, not getting each other off their minds ,and then the fallout. Unanswered texts, waiting & waiting for some response, and then a passive-aggressive excuse why they don't to see you again.

Will we not find our next Twitch Asylum?

• Like 2

Such a shame, I was really (overly) upset about this earlier this morning.

A podcast comes along, seemingly everything you'd ever want, even the NAME is intriguing, you get it home & spend a few nights with it, & before you know it, things turn ugly real quick.

Discovered on the same site as Watch Out for Fireballs, another podcast that also focuses on a single game, I think. Here's the URL

http://duckfeed.tv/asp/?category=Abject+Suffering

Here's the iTunes link.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/abject-suffering/id657005891?mt=2

Not sure if they go on for 4 hours about Bebe's Kids. Every episode is a horrible game, so this might be worth a listen.

A new podcast has entered the ring!

RVG Podcast - <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://rvgpodcast.podbean.com/%20%C2%A0-%20Haven" href="http://rvgpodcast.podbean.com/%20%C2%A0-%20Haven" t%20listened%20yet."="">http://rvgpodcast.podbean.com/

Haven't listened yet. Rating pending

Edited by S1500

So the RVG podcast has these smaller "ByteCast" episodes. One was an 8 minute episode talking about Astro Blaster. And there was a cassette for the graphic. It's no different than the "It Came from Mame" segment on RGRup. No swearing, off-topic rants or distractions. This podcast is getting better & better, which is better than the setback that was Abject Suffering.

"Abject Suffering" will be unsubscribed. They spend 99% talking about anything but the game in question. It's just a discussion that we're overhearing. They seem to be enjoying it, but nobody else is. Heck, I'm ready to give them a negative review on iTunes.

We Talk Games was mentioned here years ago (wow it's bizarre to type that!) but the host recently posted about it over in the Arcade subforum. I wanted to c&p the whole entry onto here but my ipod's bein' pissy this morning.

I dont recall listening to this one. Also, swear warning.

www.wetalkgames.com

Available on iTunes

EDIT- lots of mixed iTunes reviews, seems WTG was better liked before whatever changes were made. They seem to do a fair share of obscure games a la No Quarter. Personally I found only a few Im interested in.

Edited by RJ

Fergs song was epic! Very talented.

Whoaaa, Scott ragequit? Do tell! Please dont make me resub- it's not worth it.

SoCalMike didn't show up. Scott went nuts about it. Too angry even to do a 20-minute tangent about the trim pitch of a Piper Cub.

• Like 1