IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

I found SoCal pretty distracting, and a bit hard to listen to with the breath sounds.

...but with the exception of SoCal's breathing (!) it's a great one so far

He may have to be renamed "Blow"Cal Mike.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 3

Very fun, my kids and I had a good time doing our little segment.

And yeah, I found SoCal pretty distracting, and a bit hard to listen to with the breath sounds.

I was coming here to comment on this. :-D

Both you and Ferg did a GREAT job with your holiday segments for the Colecovision Podcast! I also really liked how you two took different approaches to it -- Ferg went with a more classic horror styled bit (and more swearing then I thought he knew!) where as Rick went with a more comedic bit with his kids taking part. Lot of great lines in both of their segments. My personal favorite was Rick's "Hit it with the VHS copy of Star Wars Holiday Special -- that will kill anything!" :P

Both of you did a really wonderful job with your bits, though.

And yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught the Metal Gear Solid sound bite. :-D

As for SoCalMike -- yeah, the breathing on the microphone was a little distracting, but not the end of the world. When he does RGR it's common for either Scott or Mike to have to tell him about that so he backs off. I'm surprised Willie didn't say anything. :twisted:

• Like 2

I was coming here to comment on this. :-D

Both you and Ferg did a GREAT job with your holiday segments for the Colecovision Podcast! I also really liked how you two took different approaches to it -- Ferg went with a more classic horror styled bit (and more swearing then I thought he knew!) where as Rick went with a more comedic bit with his kids taking part. Lot of great lines in both of their segments. My personal favorite was Rick's "Hit it with the VHS copy of Star Wars Holiday Special -- that will kill anything!" :P

Both of you did a really wonderful job with your bits, though.

And yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught the Metal Gear Solid sound bite. :-D

As for SoCalMike -- yeah, the breathing on the microphone was a little distracting, but not the end of the world. When he does RGR it's common for either Scott or Mike to have to tell him about that so he backs off. I'm surprised Willie didn't say anything. :twisted:

I was on the Absinthe while we were recording...... He actually just picked up a new Blue Snowball mic today (I have been harrassing him for some time about the breathing :) ). for the Halloween episode, I just tell people Socal was in the spirit being the heavy breather on the phone :)

• Like 4

Too cool...yet another skill that Ferg's kept to himself for a while. Acting!

It's still kept to myself. :)

I was pretty punchy that day, my neighbor of course took his sweet time leaving for work. I didn't want any 911 calls for no reason. :/ I had fun doing those things though, I love that Willie is so creative! :)

• Like 3

So I don't read anything over on the GameGravel forums -- I'm busy enough just doing AtariAge -- so I didn't know anything about SoCalMike (Mike Kennedy) 'officialy' leaving the Retro Gaming Roundup podcast. I suspected something like this might happen, due how ticked off Scott got when he missed the live news section for the September podcast. It was confirmed when Paul (it might have been Rick, sorry guys) mentioned that he was leaving during their newest Intelivisionaries podcast which I listened to on Tuesday, and then confirmed by Scott and Mike themselves right at the start of the October RCR podcast.

I'm glad he's still doing the Top Ten debates, though -- that's always been my favorite part of the podcast (although there are many good things in it)

It sure does seem like Mike has his fingers in a lot of pies right now -- managing editor for the RETRO gaming magazine, which he talked about with Willy on the most recent Colecovision Podcast, doing the Colecovision podcast, and also that 'secret project' that Willie alluded to recently -- I think he said it was something Hollywood related. I wish him the best of success. His 'It came from MAME' sections were always interesting and entertaining.

On a related note, there was a mention on the RGR site that their homebrew game CGE Adventures would be available free in ROM format. I was going to order the ROM, but there was no download link, and I can't find a way to ger the game. The link the provided on the front page doesn't work. Anyone know?

I just finished submitting some feedback to some podcast sites, including No Quarter and Ferg's 2600 Game by Game podcast. I sent him a long e-mail this week since I figure with two math 'edutainment' games he's not going to get much feedback. :lol:

Finally, I offered to the No Quarter guys originaly when I first wrote them feedback a few weeks ago that as a sign of thanks for their hard work and dedication that I had two copies of Arcadecraft on Steam for them. They had mentioned the game in a previous podcast and I really enjoy it -- the Steam version is much improved over the original Xbox Live one. I'm going to give them another week to see if they want their copies, and if not I'm going to offer it to other podcast hosts out there that I listen to and enjoy. I'm sure someone will take it. :)

On a related note, there was a mention on the RGR site that their homebrew game CGE Adventures would be available free in ROM format. I was going to order the ROM, but there was no download link, and I can't find a way to ger the game. The link the provided on the front page doesn't work. Anyone know?

I'm guessing you can navigate to it somehow, but I didn't find it that way. I resorted to google searching, but here's a link: http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/cgeadventures/buy_vcsgame_level1.php

Since we're talking about the rom a bit, does anyone know if there's a way to make it work on the Harmony multi-cart? I've run it in the Stella emulator, but not successfully via the Harmony.

I'm guessing you can navigate to it somehow, but I didn't find it that way. I resorted to google searching, but here's a link: http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/cgeadventures/buy_vcsgame_level1.php

Since we're talking about the rom a bit, does anyone know if there's a way to make it work on the Harmony multi-cart? I've run it in the Stella emulator, but not successfully via the Harmony.

I thought it would work on the newer version of the Harmony?

I thought it would work on the newer version of the Harmony?

If I remember correctly, the cart has a ARM processor in it that force feeds the data into the 2600. So a Harmony would not be able to run it. I have the latest revision of the Harmony cart that Joshua from the Turtle Flakes podcast picked up from me. It does not work on it either which I already knew (but had to try :) ). There is a "hard" version of the rom out there as well, I have one I received from the programmer ByteKnight. It really amps up the dificulty and is a hoot to play when on those "adult" beverages :)

If I remember correctly, the cart has a ARM processor in it that force feeds the data into the 2600. So a Harmony would not be able to run it.

I had heard that, but didn't know for sure. I don't understand how the rom runs in Stella if the architecture of the code and such depends on a processor to push the code into the Atari. But oh well.

I had heard that, but didn't know for sure. I don't understand how the rom runs in Stella if the architecture of the code and such depends on a processor to push the code into the Atari. But oh well.

Contact Scott over at RGRU, he can tell you all about it and most likely why it runs on stella but not on a Harmony cart

Contact Scott over at RGRU, he can tell you all about it and most likely why it runs on stella but not on a Harmony cart

Some kind of copy protect, I would imagine.

I also wonder why they suddenly made the ROM free. I was about to buy it a few weeks ago, and then couldn't find a purchase link, and I e-mailed UKMike about it only to be told "Check out the live news for the podcast this month."

Well, as they did the live news while I was gleefully watching my Pats destroy the Bears, I missed it. :)

And haven't listened to the new episode yet, I'll do that at work on Monday.

I've been listening to the "Rediscover The '80s" Podcast ( http://podcast.rediscoverthe80s.com ). Cool idea. Sort of the audio only version of VH1's "I Love The '80s" series. Good production and topics so far. The only thing that bugs me (and it's really minor and likely won't matter to most) is that the host says:

"Thah eighties" instead of "Thee eighties"

As I learned in grammar school, when you use the word "the", if the word following that begins with a vowel, you say "thee". If it begins with a consonant, you say "thah". Simple rule, but apparently one that a lot of folks never learned.

• Like 1

Digital Press has another podcast episode out. I feel like this podcast is not on the same wavelength as any of the others I regularly listen to. The episodes come out less frequently than mine(which is fine). But I'm not feeling a connection to it. It's like listening to a retro gaming podcast from 7 years ago. No Throwback Network connection, no Retro Junkies connection. No host crossover. Not even arguing with us on here.

It's like it's there, but it's not there.

Not trying to sound cliqueish with the ecosystem that has been built here, but this is so far removed from any ecosystem.

I'm listening too far into this podcast.

• Like 1

It's a good thing Ferg doesn't seem to mind my rambling e-mails and is patient enough to read them each week. I don't know if it's good that he doesn't get as much feedback as some other major podcasts, or bad that he has to make do with sucky feedback like mine. :lol:

And that was damn funny when Ferg said "I've never actually played Oregon Trail.....I can hear your groaning, stop that!" cause I actually DID groan at that. :P You need to fix that gaping hole in your gaming history right NOW! :-D

• Like 1

I've been listening to the "Rediscover The '80s" Podcast ( http://podcast.rediscoverthe80s.com ). Cool idea. Sort of the audio only version of VH1's "I Love The '80s" series. Good production and topics so far. The only thing that bugs me (and it's really minor and likely won't matter to most) is that the host says:

"Thah eighties" instead of "Thee eighties"

As I learned in grammar school, when you use the word "the", if the word following that begins with a vowel, you say "thee". If it begins with a consonant, you say "thah". Simple rule, but apparently one that a lot of folks never learned.

I found that podcast a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed both episodes. It must take a HELL of a lot of editing work to make those, though! Better him then me, that's all I can say. :P

Stored on an 8-inch floppy disk, possibly coded in FORTRAN, a new podcast has been added to the BBS uploads section:

The History of Personal Computing - http://www.historyofpersonalcomputing.com/ - Just found it. Rating pending

Please allow me to fix your link, good Sir: http://www.historyofpersonalcomputing.com/category/podcast/

Thanks for the heads up on this. I grabbed all four episodes and will check some out at work tomorrow.