IGNORED

NES Zapper vs LCD T.V. Any hope?

oldgames

What kind of device??

I was referring to a hypothetical programmable light gun. That would likely come from the homebrew community.

Maybe the WiiU controller will provide some kind of camera solution with a virtual console release. I really thought Duck Hunt would have seen a release on virtual console already with an on screen reticule. Sad really as the light gun was a big part of most people's Nes experience.

• 6 months later...

I really thought Duck Hunt would have seen a release on virtual console already with an on screen reticule. Sad really as the light gun was a big part of most people's Nes experience.

Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, and Wild Gunman were all submitted to the ESRB and rated back in 2006 but never came out. So clearly they had plans for such a setup back then where the Wii remote controlled an on-screen reticule with the emulator software interpreting it to the correct signal when the fire button was pressed.

Too bad since one of the nicest aspects of the Wiimote were all of the light gun style shooters that were released at retail. Console and classic arcade releases like Operation Wolf would've been great on the Virtual Console.

Edited by Atariboy

Yes but what about the tv I posted.

Rear projection is based off the same NTSC standard as CRTs so it's not implausible that it would work. The refresh and interlaced scanning are the same so as long as the screen can give enough contrast it should work. LCDs are close to working but the progressive scan is the problem with those. In theory an LCD that displayed true interlaced signals would work as well but I don't think they exist due to the nature of how LCDs work best. It's probably possible but I've never seen one.

Actually if someone could create a device that forces the LCD to interlace, like a converter box that sends the signal real time it might work. It's not possible for a few reasons, but we are dealing just in theories here.

I think rear-projection TVs were thought not to work because the contrast wasn't enough that the gun would register a "hit." If so, that would explain why some rear-projections actually would work, if the bulb was good and bright, the projection didn't disperse too quickly and you weren't standing too far back.

• 4 years later...

Because all HDTVs exhibit some amount of frame lag, the Zapper cannot anticipate this and the game will almost always return a "miss". Even homebrew games cannot anticipate this effect because the amount of lag is unknown as it varies from one HDTV to the next.

A home-brew or patched game could run a calibration screen, and have the user pull the trigger and black out then illuminate the whole screen and watch the light gun to determine the actual delay.

A home-brew or patched game could run a calibration screen, and have the user pull the trigger and black out then illuminate the whole screen and watch the light gun to determine the actual delay.

not if the light gun (like the nes zapper) has a 15khz notch filter that only works with crt strobe rates. This way you can't cheat by pointing at a light bulb or other bright light source. No hdtv strobes at 15khz.

Some HD CRT TV's also work with the NES light gun just fine. I have one of these - the 24 inch Toshiba 24AF42. It is the only HD CRT that I have experienced working with it yet.It has component and S-Video jacks in the back.

You are one of the lucky ones. Only because it presumably passes 240p/480i directly to the tube. Most 1080i native crts resample the sd picture to 1080i which is well above the standard crt 15khz horizontal strobe rate.