IGNORED

Component Video mod for ColecoVision

5-11under

• 1 month later...

I'm having trouble getting the colors quite right with this mod: If I get the whites looking good then the yellows are a completely washed out tan-brown; conversely, if I get the yellows looking nice by turning up the blue-difference potentiometer, then the whites invariably end up in some range of yellow to green. I have yet to find a decent compromise.

Note: I had to get the blue potentiometer up fairly high to get most of the colors to pop, but I can't really increase it further without turning the blacks into a bright blue; they're already a little bluer than they should be but still look alright. I tried several times following Harvey's guide on adjusting the colors, but no luck. Any recommendations on how to fix this?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've seen Yurkie's mod, but I'd like something that doesn't require an upscaler (especially a specific one) and keeps as close to what's output natively by the VDP as possible. If I wanted it converted to RGB, I already have my own external solutions for that. Also, Yurkie doesn't appear to offer a DIY kit, which is exactly what I want.

Edited by Lios

I've seen Yurkie's mod, but I'd like something that doesn't require an upscaler (especially a specific one) and keeps as close to what's output natively by the VDP as possible. If I wanted it converted to RGB, I already have my own external solutions for that. Also, Yurkie doesn't appear to offer a DIY kit, which is exactly what I want.

go for the f18a

http://codehackcreate.com/store

and you take future dram prob away at the sametime with this board

Edited by chart45

Also, Yurkie doesn't appear to offer a DIY kit, which is exactly what I want.

I'd love a DIY kit for RGB as well, it's very frustrating that he doesn't offer one for RGB but yet has one for composite video. I'm still leaning towards getting an F18a but I'd absolutely love to have RGB.

• 3 years later...

Yurkie and citruspsi3000 mods both take Y, R-Y, B-Y signals directly from the VDP and convert them into RGBS using timing pots, op-amps and discretes. The designs are based on this application note http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/vdp-99xx/e3/SPPA004A_9928-29_9118-28_Interface_to_Monitors.pdf

There isn't a complete IC based mod available yet. Check out citruspsi3000 RGB mod, comes as a diy kit, easy to install and it's better supported.

• Like 1

I would rather have HDMI for the ColecoVision/ADAM, however component video is my second choice. When and if a automatic IC based mod becomes available that would be the way to go. No pot adjustments would make the component video kit easier to install plus more accurate color quality when the IC is using native reference settings.

Edited by HDTV1080P

The citrus3000psi board is going to be your best bet for RGB. If you would rather have a pure digital HDMI out then the new F18 mk2 is going to be your winner. However that is not yet available.

One of the tricky parts about these mods is that the signal attenuation varies greatly from one console to another. I've installed quite a few and found that no 2 have been alike yet.

• Like 2

The citrus3000psi board is going to be your best bet for RGB. If you would rather have a pure digital HDMI out then the new F18 mk2 is going to be your winner. However that is not yet available.

Wow - I was totally oblivious to the fact that an F18A MK2 was in development. Have now subscribed to the relevant AA thread and am on the waitlist. Thanks for the info.

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 1

Back in the early 1990’s Micro Innovations was going to develop an external 80 column color video output for the Coleco ADAM computer that would have most likely have plugged into the side expansion module interface (Might have also worked on the ColecoVision front expansion module interface also). Of course Micro Innovations around the mid 1990’s stopped making hardware for the Coleco ADAM and never officially released the color 80 column video upgrade plug in adapter for the ADAM computer. However, my point is 100% of all hardware that Micro innovations made for the Coleco ADAM did not require any internal hardware modifications. Their products connected by ADAMNet, and the 3 internal expansion ports (not sure if they used the side ADAM expansion port at all but other companies like EVE Electronics and Coleco did). My point is none of Micro innovations products required one to take the computer apart and solder components onto the main motherboard.

I do not have the schematics in front of me, but it should be possible in theory to develop a external HDMI output for both the ColecoVision and ADAM computer that would plug into the ColecoVision and ADAM expansion port. It would be powered by the console power supply. The HDMI adapter would have its own HDMI graphics card interface that would take the digital binary signals from the CPU directly and covert it to a native 480i 4:3 HDMI output. Basically it would disable the existing video display processor in the ColecoVision/ADAM and have its own video display processor with HDMI output.

It would be really neat to have a OPCODE SGM that has a HDMI jack on the side that would output native HDMI signals.

Edited by HDTV1080P

One of the tricky parts about these mods is that the signal attenuation varies greatly from one console to another. I've installed quite a few and found that no 2 have been alike yet.

If no front expansion module interface is made to upgrade the CoelcoVision/ADAM video quality, then I might one day take my ColecoVision/ADAM apart and solder a HDMI output video upgrade on it. I am guessing that the F18 mk2 when released well support the Coleco ADAM computer system and ColecoVision for HDMI output.

Edited by HDTV1080P

it's possible to run the f18a from the exp port of the colecovision.. not sure about the adam stand alone

Then if the F18 mk2 with native HDMI output can be ran from the ColecoVision and ADAM external expansion port, that would be the ideal way to go. Maybe someone could modify the SGM so that it contains a F18 with a HDMI port on the right side of the case (Maybe OPCODE games could sale new Super Game Modules with a built in HDMI port).

The other solution is to develop an expansion module for the ColecoVision and ADAM that had the F18 with a HDMI output (An on/off switch would allow one to toggle between HDMI and the native VDP in the console). However, the HDMI expansion module would also need a expansion slot to plug in the SGM and other modules. ColecoVision/ADAM owners would spend up to $200 for such a product that offered HDMI output with no modification needed. Possible 200-300 F18 mk2 could be sold if it worked in such away.

If the demand existed, a company could get a high-end Chinese computer graphics card company to make a dedicated HDMI video graphics expansion module for the ColecoVision/ADAM. The graphics card company would most likely want a minimum run of 500 and the research and development costs would be much more than designing a new power supply for the ColecoVision/ADAM.

Edited by HDTV1080P

i have this done and ready but its for me only cause i will never work on another colecovision project im done and learn the hard way here

That looks cool, the very first native HDMI upgrade for the ColecoVision that requires no internal modification. I hope you enjoy your design, its your decision if you do not want to mass produce this product. Its a lot of work and money to bring new hardware to the ColecoVision/ADAM community.

Edited by HDTV1080P

That looks cool, the very first native HDMI upgrade for the ColecoVision that requires no internal modification. I hope you enjoy your design, its your decision if you do not want to mass produce this product. Its a lot of work and money to bring new hardware to the ColecoVision/ADAM community.

the cost is very low exept for the f18a him self

pcb print in china around 4$

xilinxs 2 or 3 $ on ebay

40 pin socket under 1$

60 pin edge connector can be ordered on ebay 10 for 15$

f18a new version?