IGNORED

Component Video mod for ColecoVision

5-11under

Nothing really seemed pretty good to begin with, only saying if you had learnt anything yourself through experience. :)

Did you mean to put a period after the word "Nothing", or not? ;)

There's some minor things I would change, but nothing too great, and I don't have too much motivation to update it. It does the job for me.

I would want one and if you made any improvements from your experience with the first lot, I would be happy to pay more.

What sort of improvements are you thinking of?

For me there are a few improvements I would like to see:

1. Fix the position of the middle variable resistor. It doesn't line up with the others and so the screw doesn't nicely lineup with the holes drilles in the CV casing (assuming the holes are drilled using the supplied template).

2. Eliminate the vertical banding.

3. Have an option to be able to really sharpen the image instead of the current soft version.

Don't get me wrong, I think that this is the best video mod currently available for the CV and when I eventually get round to refurbishing my other CVs I will not hesitate to install this mod in them.

Edited by Ikrananka

I would want one and if you made any improvements from your experience with the first lot, I would be happy to pay more.

1. Fix the position of the middle variable resistor. It doesn't line up with the others and so the screw doesn't nicely lineup with the holes drilles in the CV casing (assuming the holes are drilled using the supplied template).

3. Have an option to be able to really sharpen the image instead of the current soft version.

Don't get me wrong, I think that this is the best video mod currently available for the CV and when I eventually get round to refurbishing my other CVs I will not hesitate to install this mod in them.

1. The problem with the holes is actually a problem with my part selection. The footprint on the first batch of those centre potentiometers was different than the others. The PCB was designed for both, but not correctly.

2/3. The vertical banding comes along with the sharpness of the image. Reducing the banding reduces the sharpness. There may be ways to improve this, but that's beyond my capability at this point. Removing some of the jumpers can increase sharpness (and banding),

1. The problem with the holes is actually a problem with my part selection. The footprint on the first batch of those centre potentiometers was different than the others. The PCB was designed for both, but not correctly.

2/3. The vertical banding comes along with the sharpness of the image. Reducing the banding reduces the sharpness. There may be ways to improve this, but that's beyond my capability at this point. Removing some of the jumpers can increase sharpness (and banding),

1. I suspected that the potentiometer problem was a part issue.

2/3. Understood - I know we've discussed this before. Regardless of the banding, I still love the mod and wouldn't choose any of the others currently available.

BTW - do you still have stock available for sale?

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I'll definitely take one when you get some available. Just like toymailman above, I'd also need to send you my console. I'll gladly pay for parts, shipping and labor to be able to get an awesome video mod like this.

I have a question, would this video mod be compatible with the Atari 2600 expansion module?

Edited by Zenimus

I would rather have a HDMI output on the Colecovision since 100% of all TV’s now have HDMI inputs at Walmart and other retail stores (all TV’s being sold now are HDTV’s). Some monitors now even lack component video inputs and only have HDMI inputs.

However, since there is no HDMI modification for the Colecovision/ADAM then component video outputs would be the best available in terms of picture quality. I was disappointed to hear that the expansion module #1 Atari 2600 adapter still requires composite video outputs. There should be a way to convert composite video internally in the Colecovision and convert it to component video instead of having to switch inputs when wanting to use the Atari 2600 adapter.

I am guessing that this modification will only work for the standalone Colecovision and not the standalone Adam computer? Also if I were to connect expansion module number #3 (Adam module) up to the standalone Colecovision would I be able to use the component video outputs? Also it is my understanding that the mono audio output would be able to be passed using the RCA audio output instead of RF output on the Atari 2600 adapter and Adam module with the component video modification.

If you offered an installation service I would be interested in getting my Colecovision upgraded to component video outputs.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I would rather have a HDMI output on the Colecovision since 100% of all TV’s now have HDMI inputs at Walmart and other retail stores (all TV’s being sold now are HDTV’s). Some monitors now even lack component video inputs and only have HDMI inputs.

However, since there is no HDMI modification for the Colecovision/ADAM then component video outputs would be the best available in terms of picture quality. I was disappointed to hear that the expansion module #1 Atari 2600 adapter still requires composite video outputs. There should be a way to convert composite video internally in the Colecovision and convert it to component video instead of having to switch inputs when wanting to use the Atari 2600 adapter.

I am guessing that this modification will only work for the standalone Colecovision and not the standalone Adam computer? Also if I were to connect expansion module number #3 (Adam module) up to the standalone Colecovision would I be able to use the component video outputs? Also it is my understanding that the mono audio output would be able to be passed using the RCA audio output instead of RF output on the Atari 2600 adapter and Adam module with the component video modification.

If you offered an installation service I would be interested in getting my Colecovision upgraded to component video outputs.

The ColecoVision video chip outputs something that is very close to being component video, so component output is a natural stopping point for video output quality (although products like the F18A bring that to a whole new level). Just like the 2600, where S-Video is a natural stopping point based on the hardware. HDMI through conversion is easily done, although your results may vary, depending on what converter you use. I use a component to VGA converter in my "shop", so I can use my computer's monitor. The blacks are bluer than when I go straight to my TV via component, but it still looks really good.

Yes, unfortunately the A2600 expansion module outputs composite video. It's not trivial to convert from composite to component. It can be done, and you could switch between the two inside your CV. Like anything else, it's a matter of time and money... not mine! ;)

I would really like to have both component video and S-Video on the Colecovision so that I could use component video for the Colecovision games and S-Video for the Atari 2600 games. Is it possible to get S-Video with component video added to the Colecovision?

Even though S-Video is better quality then composite video since the luminance and chrominance are separate, the major problem with using S-Video is that 99% of all consumer electronics manufactured in 2012 do not offer any S-Video inputs any more. HDMI and component video have replaced S-Video. So even though I would love to have S-Video for the Atari 2600 at this point since no new TV offers S-Video it is pointless feature (Only a few high-end A/V receivers still support S-Video for a limited time).

Edited by HDTV1080P

I would really like to have both component video and S-Video on the Colecovision so that I could use component video for the Colecovision games and S-Video for the Atari 2600 games. Is it possible to get S-Video with component video added to the Colecovision?

Even though S-Video is better quality then composite video since the luminance and chrominance are separate, the major problem with using S-Video is that 99% of all consumer electronics manufactured in 2012 do not offer any S-Video inputs any more. HDMI and component video have replaced S-Video. So even though I would love to have S-Video for the Atari 2600 at this point since no new TV offers S-Video it is pointless feature (Only a few high-end A/V receivers still support S-Video for a limited time).

From what I've been told, you need to pay royalties of some kind to include HDMI in any kind of video output hardware. It's a rather big obstacle to homebrew hardware development.

From what I've been told, you need to pay royalties of some kind to include HDMI in any kind of video output hardware. It's a rather big obstacle to homebrew hardware development.

I think that would be the case if you did HDMI output from scratch. If you have an HDMI chip, I think that's taken care of.

the major problem with using S-Video is that 99% of all consumer electronics manufactured in 2012 do not offer any S-Video inputs any more. HDMI and component video have replaced S-Video. So even though I would love to have S-Video for the Atari 2600 at this point since no new TV offers S-Video it is pointless feature (Only a few high-end A/V receivers still support S-Video for a limited time)

For these situations you need to invest in a video upscaler. Not only will it convert S-Video and such to HDMI or VGA, it also probably has a better internal upscaler than any TV does, which means your picture will be even sharper. I'd recommend an XRGB Framemeister. I have one and it turns a decent connection like composite into a good one, and a great connection like component into a spectacular one. I can't wait to see what a component Colecovision looks like with it!!

So one problem with converting from composite or s-video to HDMI is that it'll add a frame of lag to what appears on the screen. I know for some of Daniel's games it makes them harder because you have to react "before" you see what happens on screen. At the very least it is different.

As for s-video, component and composite, well I do see that none of the TVs I looked at today have s-video. But composite is still pretty common for many TVs. And I personally don't think that composite is that bad really. But HDMI output is an interesting thing to aspire to for sure. Or VGA plus a special VGA -> HDMI cable like you'd use with the F18A video card.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...