IGNORED

Intellivision II Side Controller Bottons

Sam9938

Are they supposed to be all stiff and stuck, I just bought one today and they feel like there not pressing in at all. So i'm a little worried.

Also I've got a universal power adapter, any one know what voltage and tip it needs to be on

Edited by Sam9938

I personally,would be careful about plugging in any old adapter into your INTV 2.I have an original adapter,the specs are:input: 120v 60Hz 19W. Output: 16.2V AC 955mA.I play it safe,as I've heard of folks frying something by using the improper specs,some say it wont,i wont gamble with 30+ year old consoles.If you can find an equivalent at those specs that's fine also.The Intv 2 power supply i couldn't find ANYWHERE.I ordered mine from 4jays.com.The intv 1 has the power supply built in of course,but at least with the intv 2 you can just buy another power supply if it goes bad.And yes the intv 2 controller buttons have virtually almost no play.They move in barely a millimeter when pressed.

Edited by Rik

I personally,would be careful about plugging in any old adapter into your INTV 2.I have an original adapter,the specs are:input: 120v 60Hz 19W. Output: 16.2V AC 955mA.I play it safe,as I've heard of folks frying something by using the improper specs,some say it wont,i wont gamble with 30+ year old consoles.If you can find an equivalent at those specs that's fine also.The Intv 2 power supply i couldn't find ANYWHERE.I ordered mine from 4jays.com.The intv 1 has the power supply built in of course,but at least with the intv 2 you can just buy another power supply if it goes bad.And yes the intv 2 controller buttons have virtually almost no play.They move in barely a millimeter when pressed.

$24 at 4jays. Thats more than I paid for the system shipped. Wow

Is that price including tax and shipping?I just saw the intv 2 power adapter at 4jays for $17.95.EDIT..You're right,it shows two different prices for the power intv2 power supply,$24.95 and $17.95 :ponder: :?

Edited by Rik

Is that price including tax and shipping?I just saw the intv 2 power adapter at 4jays for $17.95.

That what it said for a new one, I didnt see used. But its ok ill try to get more info on successful attempts with a universal adapter, Thanks though

Is that price including tax and shipping?I just saw the intv 2 power adapter at 4jays for $17.95.

That what it said for a new one, I didnt see used. But its ok ill try to get more info on successful attempts with a universal adapter, Thanks though

Oh that's why,i didn't realize 4jays sold used power supplies.By all means if the universal works,right on then :thumbsup: ,less hassle for you :)

Edited by Rik

Stupid like I am I tried it and it powered on and I could see the game through alot of static to I guess the Wattage is not the same

Man that sucks!I ordered my power supply from 4jays,it arrived in less than a week.Yeah,its pretty pricey,but in the long run it was more expensive in gas money running around everywhere trying to find the right adapter.The INTV 2 adapter is a rare breed,much like the one for the 7800.Maybe you can find one that works somewhere,i just don't want to see you blow something up in your intv,but that's just me though,i'm over cautious when it come to my classic game stuff :) Good luck!

Edited by Rik

Stupid like I am I tried it and it powered on and I could see the game through alot of static to I guess the Wattage is not the same

Man that sucks!I ordered my power supply from 4jays.Yeah,its pretty pricey,but in the long run it was more expensive in gas money running around everywhere trying to find the right adapter.The INTV 2 adapter is a rare breed,much like the one for the 7800.Maybe you can find one that works somewhere,i just don't want to see you blow something up in your intv,but that's just me though,i'm over cautious when it come to my classic game stuff :) Good luck!

Yea the only reason I did it is I have another intelly II coming in the mail with everything, This was just my parts one that I bought for the controllers as is but I guess it works so far

Man that sucks!I ordered my power supply from 4jays.Yeah,its pretty pricey,but in the long run it was more expensive in gas money running around everywhere trying to find the right adapter.The INTV 2 adapter is a rare breed,much like the one for the 7800.Maybe you can find one that works somewhere,i just don't want to see you blow something up in your intv,but that's just me though,i'm over cautious when it come to my classic game stuff :) Good luck!

Yea the only reason I did it is I have another intelly II coming in the mail with everything, This was just my parts one that I bought for the controllers as is but I guess it works so far

Awesome!I always say if you want to buy an INTV 2 online like Ebay or whatever its always good to make sure it comes with the power supply,some newbies figure it has the supply built in like the intv 1.

Here are the specs of the third-party AC adapter I've been using with my Intellivision II for years: 12VAC, 1200mA, tip positive. I got this particular console from eBay, and the seller bundled a power supply from an old Compaq laptop (something like 21VAC), and even that seemed to work fine until I replaced it with the more conventional "wall wart" adapter I'm using now. I don't think the power supply specs are quite as critical as people seem to think, as long as they're somewhat close to the original specs.

EDIT: Hmmm ... I just put that AC adapter on my multimeter, and it tests out at about 15VAC. I don't know if that's still within spec for that power supply or not, but it is closer to the original adapter's 16.2VAC.

Edited by jaybird3rd

Are they supposed to be all stiff and stuck, I just bought one today and they feel like there not pressing in at all. So i'm a little worried.

Also I've got a universal power adapter, any one know what voltage and tip it needs to be on

My thumbs hurt just thinking about those buttons. I would still mashed them up to play Sea Battle with someone.

16.2vac. I used my old 400 adaptor when it crapped out. I have never had a problem. The system is has least 25 years of service on 9vac.

Edited by Almost Rice

Their cheap shoddy plastic buttons that get stuck, and sometimes jammed into the controller. This is one area where the INTV one controller is better than the two controllers, they are slightly rubbery and feel better. Not to say it's tons better or anything :P the controller in general is pretty bad designed.

Luckily, the controller on the Two is detachable, you can mod another controller or get an offbrand counterpart to replace it with. Or hell, build your own...I did :P

Intv 2 system is one where I can see the purpose of making a joystick. How hard would it be to make one? I wish I did not throw away the 2 bad controllers I had in the 80s. I could tear into them now.

I bought this one on ebay, look at the controllers of one, they are joysticks. I dont know how on earth they got there but it convinced me to buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200403528464&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_884wt_1165

I'm assuming it was a mod but still a great idea.

Also, no clue why he spelled it councils

Edited by Sam9938

Intv 2 system is one where I can see the purpose of making a joystick. How hard would it be to make one? I wish I did not throw away the 2 bad controllers I had in the 80s. I could tear into them now.

I bought this one on ebay, look at the controllers of one, they are joysticks. I dont know how on earth they got there but it convinced me to buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200403528464&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_884wt_1165

Those are after-market add-ons. They're essentially sticks that...well...stick onto the control disc. Personally, I don't think they help much, but they're cool nonetheless. :) If there was a way to limit the stick's movement to eight, or even four directions, they'd be more helpful.

You could probably rig one up yourself, actually. I wonder how well the rubber shaft/boot from a CX-40 would work?

Those are after-market add-ons. They're essentially sticks that...well...stick onto the control disc. Personally, I don't think they help much, but they're cool nonetheless. :) If there was a way to limit the stick's movement to eight, or even four directions, they'd be more helpful.

You could probably rig one up yourself, actually. I wonder how well the rubber shaft/boot from a CX-40 would work?

I have a crappy extra cx40 that dosent work well. I might try something. I want to get my intelly as comfortable as you can get it. Who made those after-market joysticks anyway?

Or your RF adapter is bad/ loose, wrong channel, or bad coax on the tv. One of those is more likely to be the cause of the game looking fuzzy and static.

But I would still make sure to get an adapter with the right voltage.

Look on eBay for a broken INTV and use the power adapter from that.

Yeah, I'll admit.. the controllers on the INTV II are pretty bad, but you get used to them.. and for a good reason ;)

Its a good system, with lots of good games.

Its library is fairly unique.

I got my 7800 in today and used the rf from that, set my universal adapter to 12v and positive and safe to say the system runs flawlessly. Which is awesome seeing as I didnt even expect it to work.

Controllers on the II suck bad, have high hopes for my Intelly I coming in

Edited by Sam9938

I got my 7800 in today and used the rf from that, set my universal adapter to 12v and positive and safe to say the system runs flawlessly. Which is awesome seeing as I didnt even expect it to work.

Controllers on the II suck bad, have high hopes for my Intelly I coming in

Glad you could solve the problem.

I love my Intv II collection, but the Inty I is the better system to play on. The Coleco branded games arent locked out like on the II & III, and the controllers are far better. Aldo, INTV corp made nice little joystick adapters for them, which are relatively common. They DONT fit properly on the Invt II controller, however they fit just snug on the I & III.

Be sure to look through the threads for the best Intv games.

Off the whim I recommend:

Bump & Jump

Thunder Castle

Dreadnaught Factor

AD&D Treasure of Tarmin (or Cloudy Mountain)

Shark Shark

Astrosmash

Tron Deadly Disks

Snafu

Utopia

And just about any game you can find from Imagic!