IGNORED

Replacing flex circuits in Intelly controller

Sam9938

So I got my Intellivision I and the controller does not respond when the wheel membrame circuit is touching, when I lift that part of the controller up the num pad works fine but when it is touching it makes to close of contact to the circuits or something. The second controller does not work at all but the game knows its pressing cause I can hear the clicking sound from the t.v. Is there any way to fix these, and if not, than how can I replace the circuits in them without buying other controllers that would cost almost as much as the system.

Also, where can you get a new pin connector for the system, Thank you

Edited by Sam9938

I don't recall, but I believe many of the games will ignore the second controller until a game is started. If it's clicking, you may try pulling the plug of the second controller and swapping it for the first. I've never had the system apart though, so I don't know if internally it's just plugged in or not, though many of the "hardwired" systems are just internal plugs.

As for the flex circuit, eh...I don't think that anyone makes them, however, you may be able to jack the part/s you need from another console. And it sounds like someone liked the driving games a little to much and ruined the circuit using the pad like a wheel :P (to bad they aren't more durable, it's fun to play that way, but it ruins the controller to use it like that :( )

Hope you get it working.

So I got my Intellivision I and the controller does not respond when the wheel membrame circuit is touching, when I lift that part of the controller up the num pad works fine but when it is touching it makes to close of contact to the circuits or something. The second controller does not work at all but the game knows its pressing cause I can hear the clicking sound from the t.v. Is there any way to fix these, and if not, than how can I replace the circuits in them without buying other controllers that would cost almost as much as the system.

Also, where can you get a new pin connector for the system, Thank you

A few years back I tried to get information about manufacturing new inserts for the Intellivision controllers but I didn't get anywhere. I think that if they can be made cheaply enough they'll bring a lot of non working Intellivisions back to life. Until then, you gotta canabalize them from another system that's not working.

Bill

You've probably got some surgery ahead of you. Open up the offending controller and take out the flex circuit, unfold said flex circuit. At the folds, there's probably a *LOT* of scorching or carbon. Clean this scorch as best you can with a pencil eraser, or some Rubbing alcohol/contact cleaner and Q-tips. If the traces are lost because there was so much heat (i.e. holes), you're probably S.O.L. You may need a donor Inty to get a new flex circuit then.

If the flex plastic is intact, but the traces are gone, you have a risky option: trace repair. Get some of that conductive copper paint used for car back-glass defrosting available at auto repair stores; the types used to re-trace those 'lines'. Re-paint the traces using as little copper paint as possible, to prevent shorting. I use a round toothpick, only putting copper on the tip. Let the paint dry 24 hours, and then re-fold the flex circuit and cross your fingers.

My own attempts have only been 50-60% successful with this, but it better than sitting on my thumbs and doing nothing.