IGNORED

Atari Computer Camp

Allan

Thanks for the memories. I went to "Computer Camp" back in the 1980s in Miami. We learned to program in Basic, Logo, Pascal, and Fortran on Atari 800s and Apple IIs. Plus we played a lot of games, went swimming in the olympic size pool, played pool in the rec center, and played sports and capture the flag in the woods. It was a great time. There were a bunch of kids of many ages (probably 9 or 10 up to 14 or 15). It was quite a motley crew, and a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I will rip and convert the video they have online and make it available to anyone who wants it later today or tomorrow. I assume there was much more content of this available which would also be great to have.

I think the conversation about "stealing peoples collected works" is somewhat interesting.. I certainly grab alot of images while I'm online - plenty from Curt's site and others, as well as google images.. I use the material in my blog posts occasionally, but in return I usually credit thanks and provide a link back to the original site.

This stuff is history now, and while money may change hands to obtain it, it really then should be shared with those who might not have the money or the time to spend on collecting it that others do. I agree completely that a watermark is fair - hopefully not so intrusive though that it ruins the image, but enough so that if someone does rip the image that others will at least find the original source.

With that said - thanks to curt, and all of the other people who do have the time and the money and who are willing to share. You guys keep the scene alive and I think a lot of people thank you for it in their own way.

doc

• 4 weeks later...

I worked at Atari Camp for two summers. I've been scanning in some of the training manuals I acquired. I am uncertain as to whether I can/should upload them, as they contain copyright notice from Atari. Some of the manuals need programs from a disk. I am not sure if the disk still I have still functions.

Paul

Chesapeake 1983

New England 1984

I worked at Atari Camp for two summers. I've been scanning in some of the training manuals I acquired. I am uncertain as to whether I can/should upload them, as they contain copyright notice from Atari. Some of the manuals need programs from a disk. I am not sure if the disk still I have still functions.

Paul

Chesapeake 1983

New England 1984

I would love to see the training manuals. I don't think there is a copyright problem. This site alone has all the Atari game manuals. If you need someone to convert your disks to an on-line format, let us know. If your in or near Connecticut I can do them for you. Let me know.

Allan

I've put all the manuals into pdf. The disk, I don't want to risk messing with it until I am sure my computer works well enough to copy the disk over without screwing it up. Ahh, the joys of ancient tech.

I will include the letterhead they gave us.

I live in NY about as far from CT as you can get, so thanks but I won't be making it that way any time soon.

(Most of the pdf's are more than 2 mb.)

Atari_Letterhead.pdf

Paul

"They are stealing someone's time and effort to acquire, pay for, scan, upload and present the images."

Well, main train of thought would be this:

1. Person A tries to find some kind of image online, but fails to find it.

2. Person A then goes ahead and invests the effort "to acquire, pay for, scan" the images.

So, now this may be the end of the story.

But it not always is:

3. Person A decides all this effort was a lot of trouble and whishes to save others from having to do the same and uploads it.

Okay, now it depends, what was found in the attempts at point 1.

If what Person A found was really absolutely nothing, then I can understand how having watermarks can be compatible with point 3.

However if Person A actually found the images, but only of too poor quality for his taste, then putting watermarks on their own uploads - hence in effect diminishing the image quality - would in my opinion contradict his intention and he may have not put it up at all in the first place.