IGNORED

Caribbean Cruise Pinball (Cocktail)

EricDeLee

Well... There isn't a 'pinball section' so I figured I'd stick this here.

post-3390-125954789305_thumb.jpg

Looks like I'll be adding a bit of joy to the household soon.

:)

Caribbean Cruise Cocktail Pinball

I figured I'd grab one of these (being it was local) to see how it is.

I figured if anything, in is at least a very interesting table. I haven't seen too many cocktail pinballs, and from what I understand, this is actually one of the fun ones with the extra set of flippers and multiball.

It's small... will fit great in my house (or at work if I ever decide to place it there).

What do you all think? Have you played any of these pinball cocktail tables? Have you played this one in particular?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been soo tempted to pick one of these up. I've seen two go through Craigslist in my area in the last year or so. It somehow looks more interesting and polished than the other cocktail pins I've looked at (and the one I own).

About playing cocktail pinball: I haven't played that particular machine. I find the smaller playfield less enjoyable than a full sized table. I think that's mainly because there's less room for stuff to happen. That's one thing that appeals to me about the C.C. design: there's a lot going on.

Generally, though, I enjoy playing it and especially appreciate the novelty of the format. It wasn't until I found my current machine that I ever even heard of cocktail format pinball machines.

If I found a workable "Rotation VIII", I'd certainly try to get it and toss my other machine out if I had to. Again, I think the novelty factor is appealing to me.

I have a crazy idea in my head that some day I'll re-engineer some of the tried-and-true workings of pinball machines to allow making a sit-down format machine with a much thinner top.

Edited by BigO

The other one like this... is called Night Moves.

Same company, basically the same type of game. What interested me about this was the speech, the playfield with the score right in the middle and the multiball. The multiball is what sold me on this particular one. Although, I admit, this isn't say Medevial Madness, it seems like it will be fun. :)

Just having something like this in my collection will be something cool for me. Plus, I'll learn how to take care of these things for when I get a bigger machine: like Gorgar, or Haunted House... or something

I have never seen a cocktail pinball in person. The closest I'd say I can get is that 2 player Joust Pinball. I saw one in the early 90's or late 80's, but nobody played with me. I know where one is now, but it isn't working.

I think the cocktails would be less fun also, but I also think they'd be great for a basement gameroom and conversation piece.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my cocktail pinball this evening!

The things are a lot lighter than cocktail arcade games (I suppose not having the big arcade monitor is a big reason)

I brought it home and let it warm up... and all is well. Lots of fun thus far.

There are a few minor issues. I need to replace all of the rubbers. But the guy gave me a full set, so I am good for that.

I need to figure out how to get to the book keeping part of the game. I have the original manual and everything, but just can't figure it out. I will eventually try to reset to the factory settings and erase all of the old scores from when this was on location.

Funny thing about this... the guy had 5 of these at one time. He told me that he used to pull an average of around $500 a month from the machines. That is crazy money!

So... I will be doing a cleaning of it soon. I counted a total of 5 bulbs I need to replace. Other than that, it works wonderfully! And of course, my wife has the high score right now out of us all. Grrrrr

I passed on one of these last year, sometimes I regret it but then again I just don't have the space unless I get rid of one of my full size machines....and thats not happening ;) The only problem I could see with them is the game could get a little old/boring since it is so small of a playfield. Even some of the newer full size machines are no fun due to lacking playfields but I think a cocktail pinball would be a great supporting cast! Now go pick your self up an Indiana Jones by Williams :) What price did you pick it up for out of curiousity?

I have never seen a cocktail pinball in person. The closest I'd say I can get is that 2 player Joust Pinball. I saw one in the early 90's or late 80's, but nobody played with me. I know where one is now, but it isn't working.

I think the cocktails would be less fun also, but I also think they'd be great for a basement gameroom and conversation piece.

You know where a Joust pinball machine is? I would be interested in that, working or not!

I just got my order in for pinball related stuff:

New Pinballs, bottle of Novus #2 Cleaner, a few boxes of #47 bulbs, I got some wax, mag polish (for the stainless steel).

So now I just need to grab some good sand paper... and some graphite like spray.

This weekend I will be cleaning this sucker... possibly. I am debating on ordering all new acorn nuts that hold the playfield plastics on.

I really wish I would have got that one around my work area for $50

:(

I just got my order in for pinball related stuff:

New Pinballs, bottle of Novus #2 Cleaner, a few boxes of #47 bulbs, I got some wax, mag polish (for the stainless steel).

So now I just need to grab some good sand paper... and some graphite like spray.

This weekend I will be cleaning this sucker... possibly. I am debating on ordering all new acorn nuts that hold the playfield plastics on.

I really wish I would have got that one around my work area for $50

:(

Order the acorn nuts. I had the same debate with myself. I was glad I replaced the dingy, rusted and missing ones. It did help to clean up the overall appearance of the playfield.

Man... I am tired! I'm doing my first cleaning of a pinball machine today. I've been at it for hours. I've waxed the playfield scrubed a lot of things, removed a bit of rust on some parts, used mag polish on others...

I'm about halfway done. Tomorrow I might get it finished. I do have to replace one playfield post... other than that, I'm moving along pretty well.

Lots of work... that's for sure. If I ever get a full size machine, I think I'll get it shopped by a professional. LOL

If I can get another one... cheaper... I would grab it for my office.

The Take Five one is not bad, however, if it isn't working, then it is not worth that price.

I HATE how they always say... "it lights up, but does not work. More than likely a small fix or a loose wire."

If it is... fix it and sell it at that price... if not than lower the price.

Well... I finished cleaning up my game! I waxed the field, cleaned everything. I have some before and after pics I'll post later on.

Cleaning up the rust and then getting that playfield smooth and shiny was awesome! It plays even better now.

Here is a cocktail pinball that just popped up in my neighborhood (well, sort of)

http://minneapolis.c...1549659836.html

I have that exact machine with a different paint job on the playfield. All in all, I'd prefer the Take Five theme over what I have. While it isn't tough argue that Roy Clark indeed is a talented musician, I don't really feel like his face adds much to my pinball experience. :-) The game play isn't horrible. The playfield is in excellent condition which is a lot of why I took the chance on it.

Mine had the exact same functional description when I bought it: lights up, doesn't work. All I had to do to bring it back to life was re-seat all of the chips and clean electrical contacts on various connectors. I believe that re-seating of chips probably fixed it, but I did everything before firing it back up. (By re-seating, I mean that I pried them up slightly in their sockets and pushed them back down. This breaks through thin layers of oxidation that build up over time and interfere with contact between the IC pins and the socket contacts.)

There are many playfield lights that drive directly from one part of the power supply whether the computer is working or not.

I have some manuals for it, too. I think I ordered them online from Marco Pinball Specialties (something like that) when I bought a set of playfield rubber replacments and some miscellaneous nuts and bolts.

I agree that $300 is too much for the machine in a non-working condition, though I wouldn't expect to get another for the $80 I got mine for.

Edited by BigO

I agree that $300 is too much for the machine in a non-working condition, though I wouldn't expect to get another for the $80 I got mine for.

If you wait it out, you can find a pinball cocktail for a bargain price.

One just sold right before Christmas for $50. It was near my work, and I was about an hour late on calling.

Last year there was 2 of them in a storage unit somewhere near Holland, MI. $75 each I believe. I was in email contact with the guy, and then he simply disappeared. either they sold, or they are sitting there. lol

I know where 1 full CC cocktail still is. Good condition. Playfield MAY be better than mine. Not really sure.

So... there are opportunities. You just have to keep an eye out for them.

A few pics:

post-3390-126383522701_thumb.jpg

Sample of a few railings prior to cleaning.

post-3390-126383530059_thumb.jpg

Same area...Cleaned, polished, etc

post-3390-126383540106_thumb.jpg

Sample area BEFORE Cleaning

post-3390-126383545853_thumb.jpg

Same area after cleaning

post-3390-126383550114_thumb.jpg

front of Playfield with exotic looking 80s chicks before cleaning

post-3390-126383552783_thumb.jpg

Same area after cleaning (yep... they still look like 80s chicks)

post-3390-126383565999_thumb.jpg

Another playfield area prior to cleaning.

post-3390-126383570246_thumb.jpg

post-3390-126383574593_thumb.jpg

Two shots of that area after cleaning....

I think, overall, it was a very fun and cool learning experience for me.

I assume it won't be the last time I do this either. I think I have caught the Pinball bug.

Plus, I am really growing more fond of this particular one now that I busted my knuckles on it, cursed, and put a lot of elbow grease into it.

I didn't do anything to the parts under the playfield. Eventually I am sure I will... but not now. Right now I'm pretty happy with the results.

• 5 months later...

You know where a Joust pinball machine is? I would be interested in that, working or not!

There is a Joust pinball machine on ebay right now if you are still looking for one:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1604535222291?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=160453522229&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

_DSC0252-1.jpg

WOW. I've only seen one cocktail pinball in my entire life. It was one of those "night moves"-like ones. It was unplugged, so I couldn't play it. It looked too small to be fun, and the fact there might be some balance issues compared to a full pinballer.

There is a Joust pinball machine on ebay right now if you are still looking for one:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1604535222291?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=160453522229&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

_DSC0252-1.jpg

Yeah, I was looking more for a non advertised one sitting in a bowling alley or something with an out of order sticker on it that I could score for a cheaper, yet fair price. Once they hit Ebay, they are WAY out of my price range ;)

• 1 month later...