IGNORED

Coming Out of the Closet: I love the Intellivision Controller!

Ransom

There, I said it. I like the disc, the numeric pad, and even the little action buttons. The controller's nice to use, especially when playing games that were written with it in mind.

I also like the 5200 controller -- it's got good looks, nice analog control, and plenty of buttons for any game. As with the Intellivision controller, if the game was written with the 5200 controller in mind, it works very well.

In fact, I've never met a controller I really hated. True, I have my preferences. But I have yet to use a controller that I absolutely can't live with. And the quirkier ones are just sort of fun anyway. As impractical as it is, isn't it kinda neat to use that goofy Power Glove?

So, how about you? Is there a usually-reviled controller that you like?

Edited by Ransom

There, I said it. I like the disc, the numeric pad, and even the little action buttons. The controller's nice to use, especially when playing games that were written with it in mind.

I also like the 5200 controller -- it's got good looks, nice analog control, and plenty of buttons for any game. As with the Intellivision controller, if the game was written with the 5200 controller in mind, it works very well.

In fact, I've never met a controller I really hated. True, I have my preferences. But I have yet to use a controller that I absolutely can't live with. And the quirkier ones are just sort of fun anyway. As impractical as it is, isn't it kinda neat to use that goofy Power Glove?

I'm right with you on the Intellivision controller. I don't understand the disdain for them. The control is pretty good on them and they seem to hold up well. Once you get used to playing with the console in your lap, Intellivision is a fun system =).

Once you get used to playing with the console in your lap, Intellivision is a fun system =).

LMAO! Sorry, that just struck me as really funny. Those systems get quite warm you know! Warmer than a cat or Apple laptop ;)

I mostly agree though: mint or near mint INTV pads are not *that* bad to use. It's when they've been beat to hell I think is where they become a pain. Side firing buttons especially. Speaking of the disc pad though, anyone get the feeling using it, your sprite/character kind of just 'glides' or 'skates' along the screen? The INTV has a different "feel" to it that way than other systems and games. Hard to describe...

Edited by save2600

I don't have an intellevision, but I do like the 5200 controllers. They work well, mine have been rebuilt and there still going after a couple months. Although I do have to ask why Atari thought it nessecary to give every game an overlay whether it needed it or not, prime example being Pac-Man where the instruction are ON THE SCREEN defeating the need for an overlay

When they work, they are pretty sweet controllers. But they tend to be worn out, or mangled, these things did after all go to kids as toys for the most part.

I'm lucky to have gotten new 5200 controllers, and a pretty intact INTV over the years, so I got to play with them on working systems instead of the shoddy broken down ones that are useually available.

I like the INTV disc also.It's a lot more responsive than the other discs I've seen on other systems for maze games.I also like the CV controller,but it can get frustrating for maze games,but GREAT for CV pitfall 1 and 2,and H.E.R.O,for me anyway!

Edited by Rik

Could be because I grew up with it, but I never had any problem with the Inty controller, either. All I have now is an Inty 2, and the side buttons and membrane keypad bother aren't as nice as the original, but it's still fairly comfortable. I also like the 5200 controller. There are definitely some poorly programmed games that give you problems w/ the analog stick, but in my experience that's the exception rather than the rule.

The stock Colecovision controller is the worst - those stiff little nubby sticks really cramp your hands. It's just painful and uncomfortable. The CV Super Action Joystick is great, though, so that's a good option. Nothing's as bad as the Atari 7800 Painlines, though.

Speaking of the disc pad though, anyone get the feeling using it, your sprite/character kind of just 'glides' or 'skates' along the screen? The INTV has a different "feel" to it that way than other systems and games. Hard to describe...

Could you contrast that with how a standard joystick feels? I agree it has a different feel, and I like it, but I don't quite understand what you're saying here.

I love the Intellivision's disc, I think it's the closest thing to a mouse's precision on a console. I love playing Intellivision Atlantis with it; that game is so much better than the 2600 version.

-Adam

Edited by KIWASABI

I dont even need to come out of the closet, i'd wear an Inty paddle on a t-shirt to show off my INTV pride! lol.

But really, I have never had a problem with the Intv controllers. The system II was one of my favorite systems for a looong time, especially with the ECS.

The side buttons you get used to after a couple of minutes. It would be nice if you felt like you were actually pressing something, but overall I think this controller works well.

Prime example, Tower of Doom, Atlantis, or Tron Deadly Disks, this disk controller works very good. Sure there are a couple exceptions, like Atarisofts arcade ports, but thats why you get the INTV brand joystick adapter ;)

NOW, one controller I do have beef with, is the Colecovision controller. Its not a bad controller, but I really just dont like the knob thing. I find my thumb either getting really sore, or slipping off of it when trying to go for a high score or play for over 10 minutes in general. It would be much better if it were a flat disk, a ball, or joystick like on the 5200 controller.

Of all classic controllers, I give 2600 A+ on ease of use.

Of more recent controllers, N64.. what do you think about this controller? I love it, but at first I thought to myself, am I supposed to hold this with three hands?

Edited by jeremysart

I wouldn't say I like them nor would I say I dislike them. I finally got an INTV (well specifically a Tandyvision) "late" in my game collecting career, so my interest in playing it was limited at best. I really wanted to see how Demon Attack, Q-Bert and others looked in the INTV vs the coleco, 2600, 5200, etc...

They are a bit difficult to get used to, but as with 99% of controllers out there, it just takes practice. I'd bet $$ the supposed hate for the intelly disc controllers was about as hard to find back in the day as for the 5200 controllers. I never heard anything bad about either until the internet classic gaming scene kicked in, and people who never had a system back in the day bought their first Intellivision, played it once, sucked, and blamed the controllers. Same for the 5200, same for the Colecovision.

Practice...a little goes a long way.

That said, I find the Intellivision controllers playable. My beef is the firs buttons. Not the fact that they're side-monuted mind you, but they are REALLY hard to push. One of these days I'm going to play around with them and figure a way to make them 'softer' to push.

I'm definitely a fan of the 5200 controllers. Way ahead of their time, and if they were reliable they'd be perfect IMO. I never had a problem with them back in the day, nor did anybody I knew who had a 5200. I'm sure they were a little more difficult to master than I remember at the moment, but not once do I remember thinking "gee, pac man would be easier if these controllers were self centering".

Yeah, the INTV2 buttons that I have are really horrid.

You aren't kidding. I played Sea Battle marathons and my thumbs were numb from it. I don't play many games now because most of the ones I liked were head to head. Even games like Shark! Shark! Was more fun withan opponent(i liked competitive play).

Edited by Almost Rice

I don't have an intellevision, but I do like the 5200 controllers. They work well, mine have been rebuilt and there still going after a couple months. Although I do have to ask why Atari thought it nessecary to give every game an overlay whether it needed it or not, prime example being Pac-Man where the instruction are ON THE SCREEN defeating the need for an overlay

A foolish consistency... :D

When they work, they are pretty sweet controllers. But they tend to be worn out, or mangled, these things did after all go to kids as toys for the most part.

I'm lucky to have gotten new 5200 controllers, and a pretty intact INTV over the years, so I got to play with them on working systems instead of the shoddy broken down ones that are useually available.

That's a good point, and it may be the key as to why so many folks don't like some controllers. I'm also lucky in that I have a mint INTV and BEST 5200 controllers. Perhaps that's the difference. We'll see what happens with the CV once I get it.

I like Intellivision controllers, except for the lousy side buttons. A lot of games don't use them, thank goodness.

I agree...making the games with the controller in mind is so important! The 5200 controllers are awesome on games that use the analog feature, for example. And INTV games that use the keypad and the disc work out really well. Or take Astrosmash! with autofire. Or Space Hawk with the increasing size of your shots as they travel further away. Trying to make the Inty act like a 2600 isn't always a good idea. Using the system's quirks to its advantage makes for much better games.

I like the INTV disc also.It's a lot more responsive than the other discs I've seen on other systems for maze games.I also like the CV controller,but it can get frustrating for maze games,but GREAT for CV pitfall 1 and 2,and H.E.R.O,for me anyway!

That's interesting -- ports work well on the CV. I can't wait to play that system for the first time in decades, once my shipment from Ax arrives.

Could be because I grew up with it, but I never had any problem with the Inty controller, either. All I have now is an Inty 2, and the side buttons and membrane keypad bother aren't as nice as the original, but it's still fairly comfortable. I also like the 5200 controller. There are definitely some poorly programmed games that give you problems w/ the analog stick, but in my experience that's the exception rather than the rule.

The stock Colecovision controller is the worst - those stiff little nubby sticks really cramp your hands. It's just painful and uncomfortable. The CV Super Action Joystick is great, though, so that's a good option. Nothing's as bad as the Atari 7800 Painlines, though.

Speaking of the disc pad though, anyone get the feeling using it, your sprite/character kind of just 'glides' or 'skates' along the screen? The INTV has a different "feel" to it that way than other systems and games. Hard to describe...

I agree, they did tend to give the player's sprite a different sort of movement in many of the INTV games.

I love playing Intellivision Atlantis with it; that game is so much better than the 2600 version.

-Adam

Yup. Atlantis on the Intellivision feels like it's the original implementation, and the others are ports!

Of all classic controllers, I give 2600 A+ on ease of use.

Of more recent controllers, N64.. what do you think about this controller? I love it, but at first I thought to myself, am I supposed to hold this with three hands?

Yeah, those N64 controllers were totally bizarre, at the time. But they do work well! Too bad about the sticks wearing down, though.

I'm definitely a fan of the 5200 controllers. Way ahead of their time, and if they were reliable they'd be perfect IMO. I never had a problem with them back in the day, nor did anybody I knew who had a 5200. I'm sure they were a little more difficult to master than I remember at the moment, but not once do I remember thinking "gee, pac man would be easier if these controllers were self centering".

Same here. I just remember being totally impressed by the entire 5200 look and feel back when. Sure, it took a minute to adjust to the analog stick (I'd never used one before then), but I had no problem with it. It wasn't until the NES that I started wishing for something better...but they had the Advantage available, so I was all set.

I've never really had anything against the Intellivision controllers -- except for the fire buttons. They're small, have sharply-defined edges, and are very stiff. I always had difficulty using them for more than a few minutes (even as a kid, when I used to play games on my younger cousin's console).

I've also never had problems with the TI-99/4A's joystick, even though it apparently made #6 on IGN's "Top 10 Worst Game Controllers" (Intellivision's is #4). The only thing is that I always forgot (and still do, in fact) that it's a digital controller, and does not react to how far you shove it over to the side. However, despite all the times my TI controllers made sickening snapping/cracking noises, they held up through at least 5 years of almost daily use and abuse.

ColecoVision had a really cool-looking controller, but as others have said, cause hands (or at least thumbs) to cramp. My older younger cousin (she was younger than me, but older than my other cousin, who had the Intellivision) was somehow able to use the stick like an arcade joystick, but I never mastered that. Of course, she also totally kicked my @$$ at maze games on the CV, especially "Mouse Trap," which she seemed to be able to play virtually forever (or at least, until she got bored with it).

The only controller I've ever really hated was the NES controller. My cousin who had the ColecoVision married a guy who had an NES (and she proceeded to kick both of our @$$es at Super Mario Brothers on it), and everytime we played games together, my thumbs would get so sore from operating the controller (small buttons, sharp edges; really, my same complaint with Intellivision's fire buttons, but this was the whole controller). Not to mention that it was so tiny it made my hands cramp just trying to hold it. When I bought my own NES, I made sure that I also bought an NES Advantage at the same time. The turbo function was useless to me (it was mostly unusable in "Metroid"), but the full-size arcade-style joystick and buttons made those "Legend of Zelda" and "Metroid" marathons actually playable. ^_^

Edit: Forgot to add that one of the things I liked best about Intellivision's controllers (besides the control disc) was the satisfying "click" the keypad made when you pushed a number. You could tell, by feel and sound, that you had successfully pressed whatever it was you pressed. I wouldn't want a whole keyboard like that, but for a game controller, it was nice (especially on games that might not play a sound effect when you push something).

Edited by TI99Kitty

The only controller I've ever really hated was the NES controller.

I wonder how much hand size affects controller like/dislike. My wife has small hands, and never had a problem with the original NES controller (just the opposite of my experience and yours). She also likes the lap-sized controllers like the Advantage and the one for the Genesis. But she has a tough time using the INTV and 5200 controllers. Maybe it's the same for a lot of people.

I love the CV controller like i mentioned above.But,3 of the most frustrating maze games on the CV that the stock stik does not work too well on for me anyway are:Pepper 2,Mousetrap,and IIRC Lady Bug.Other than that,the CV stik works great for me. :thumbsup:

ugh. what used to be the 1st player controller on my grandma's Sears Super Video Arcade (intv), the left side of the disk wont work, unless i press really hard. next time im up at the cabin (where its at) im gonna take it apart and clean some contacts... if it has any. im not very familiar with those compact buttons and things like that. i like the HUGE buttons that are easier to get under and clean. ill see about that controller. THAT console and controller was the one that brought me into the world of Classic Gaming, the second is the NES.

The only controller I've ever really hated was the NES controller.

I wonder how much hand size affects controller like/dislike. My wife has small hands, and never had a problem with the original NES controller (just the opposite of my experience and yours). She also likes the lap-sized controllers like the Advantage and the one for the Genesis. But she has a tough time using the INTV and 5200 controllers. Maybe it's the same for a lot of people.

I don't know. My cousin's hands are about the same size as mine, but she could play for hours using the NES stock controllers, and couldn't play worth $#!t using the Advantage. But then, I played more arcade games than she did, and was used to arcade controls. Now, I'm used to gamepad-type controls and would probably suck with arcade controls now, too. ^_~

OTOH, the Dreamcast controller could be smaller, and still be comfortable for me. Or maybe the controls should just be lower on the controller's face -- I have to reach for the analog stick and the Y button. The PS/PS2 DualShock controller is just about the perfect size for me -- not so small my hands cramp just from trying to hold it, but small enough where I can reach all the buttons easily.