IGNORED

Coming Out of the Closet: I love the Intellivision Controller!

Ransom

I don't know. My cousin's hands are about the same size as mine, but she could play for hours using the NES stock controllers, and couldn't play worth $#!t using the Advantage. But then, I played more arcade games than she did, and was used to arcade controls. Now, I'm used to gamepad-type controls and would probably suck with arcade controls now, too. ^_~

OTOH, the Dreamcast controller could be smaller, and still be comfortable for me. Or maybe the controls should just be lower on the controller's face -- I have to reach for the analog stick and the Y button. The PS/PS2 DualShock controller is just about the perfect size for me -- not so small my hands cramp just from trying to hold it, but small enough where I can reach all the buttons easily.

Must be something else then. Some day we'll solve the Great Controller Questions Of Our Time. :D

I liked it too and for many games i can't imagine a joystick being better. Case in point, Auto Racing. Controlling the top view of the car seemed very natural with the disk.

Games where you had to fire repeatedly with the side buttons like say Space Armada could get uncomfortable for extended periods but these types of games were not what people bought intellivision for. There were games where whole keypads were used for complicated gameplay which made for awesome sports, RPG and 2 player games. Look at Sword and Serpants. It would be difficult to go throw all those spells and functions without a sophisticated controller.

You love the Intellivision controller, eh? I'd give you mine, but they're hardwired into the system. (fumes)

:) I originally considered getting the Sears model, with its easily pluggable/unpluggable controllers. But ultimately I wanted a console like the one I'd used in my childhood.

Fortunately, it's not too hard to unplug and replace the controllers in the Mattel version of the INTV, if it ever comes to that.

Edited by Ransom

• 1 month later...

I never had a problem with INTV controls, only some slight cramping with INTV 2 controls. I think they're very responsive for their time and suited for complex games. Even better are the ones you can play one-handed with autofire like Astrosmash or Demon Attack. Even the 5200 controls were ok if better internals were used.

To this day, i still have never tried the controllers for the Intellivision I since i have only owned an Intellivision II. When that's all you have, you make due and make it work. So i never had a problem with them. I did wear them out when i was a kid and broke the side buttons. I have always wondered if i would get an improvement out of the controllers from the first system. But i can live without them i guess. lol