Photo

New GUI for the Atari 8-bit

3753 replies to this topic

#3751 Matej OFFLINE  

Matej

Moonsweeper

• 304 posts

Posted Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:59 PM

Only 256colors on VBXE??? On VBXE there is also 640x480/64 colors or 320x240/1024 colors mode too???

Cant wait too see it! Will be beautiful!!! 

#3752 Prodatron OFFLINE  

Prodatron

Chopper Commander

• 105 posts

Posted Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:19 PM

Only 256colors on VBXE??? On VBXE there is also 640x480/64 colors or 320x240/1024 colors mode too???
Cant wait too see it! Will be beautiful!!!

Please don't forget that it's a lot of work to add all the different conversion routines for bitmaps with different colour depths.
In SymbOS we have displays with 2, 4 and 16 colours. Bitmap graphics can have 4 or 16 colours. You need the follwing routines:
- display a 4 colour bitmap on a 2 colour display
- display a 4 colour bitmap on a 4 colour display
- display a 4 colour bitmap on a 16 colour display
- display a 16 colour bitmap on a 2 colour display
- display a 16 colour bitmap on a 4 colour display
- display a 16 colour bitmap on a 16 colour display
Now imagine what will happen if you have even more different colour depths?
It would be possible to write a generic routine which could convert everything into everything, but it would be terrible slow, if you don't have some hardware, which will do it "for free".

#3753 Bikerbob OFFLINE  

Bikerbob

Dragonstomper

• 549 posts

Posted Fri Oct 6, 2017 7:20 AM

Does anyone know or any historical articles about GUI creation in 8-bit systems?

I know bits and bobs of all of it, and thanks Jon for the SymbOS link, I read a bunch on there as well.. very interesting.

I have always been an ATARI man, and because of that had the idea that our little "cult" of users were pushing boundaries wider and further than all those other computers I know nothing (out of my ignorance) about.

I knew of Amstrad, but here in Canada, I am not sure if it ever came to sale. Impressive that SymbOS, just as I was not a huge C64 fan, but wow, they had GEOS so early.. and since I was fixated on Atari, I never knew. I am sure there is much and more I know nothing about.

its interesting how your perspective limits your view.. just wondered if anyone knew of any more 8-bit histories, that might give me an idea of how the various surviving communities developed.

James

#3754 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 12,646 posts

Posted Fri Oct 6, 2017 7:35 AM

There's some stuff in my blog and this is quite a nice site about GUIs:

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/guis/

There's not a lot regarding the nuts and bolts of actually coding the things, which is why I had to write everything from scratch (including re-implementing the SymbOS window manager on the basis of a description of the rectangle lists provided by Prodatron). GEM source code is interesting reading, too, as is the story of the original Mac's OS (I forget the site URL). Not all 8-bit stuff, but since there were so few decent 8-bit window managers, we have to look to 16-bit platforms for inspiration. :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users