IGNORED

New GUI for the Atari 8-bit

flashjazzcat

Basically one really smart, motivated guy, supported (substantially) by another three or four guys and we have a piece of software that could have made all the difference for Atari if they had been either smart or motivated enough to develop it; especially at a time when they really needed something to make a difference. I mean, something like this would have really spurred third party application support, which would have pushed the hardware platform forward. I mean...aw forget it. I qalways get emotional about the 8-bit.

• Like 2

Will the final version implement device drivers for input devices, so it's a single build for Amiga mice, Atari mice, joysticks, twin paddles, KoalaPads etc,?

(And so far, so great, on an 800xl (stock), an 800xl (256K internal); an 800xl (Ultimate 1Mb); an 800xl (320 PBI upgrade); a 130xe (IDE Plus 2.0)...)

Thanks Ray. That royally f**ks things up, no doubt about it. I didn't envisage windows being dragged entirely off the screen (of course this is all part of field testing!), so it's unsurprising that such circumstances create problems. This is similar to the bug w1k reported, so I'll look into it. There's a lot of clipping going on, and it's easy to end up with impossible conditions (this one probably being one clipping region being entirely outside of another, and the condition not being picked up).

Bob: do you want to give this one a spin (ST mouse) and tell me if the mouse pointer is properly rendered yet at 7Mhz?

gui65816.xex

Once it works, a video will be required for proof. :D

No problem Jon, I realize that moving the windows all the way down isn't something that will happen very often, but as you said the purpose of field testing is to find all these little quirks and make the software solid as a rock so weird people like me can not find any holes to bring it to its knees :) . But seriously my 30 years in computing taught me enough to know where to and what to look for when testing and I developed a sense in discovering potential weak spots. I have no other motive then to play a small role in helping you make it as strong as possible. I realize a lot of sweat and blood goes into such a complex project and I appreciate your efforts... good work....

Will the final version implement device drivers for input devices, so it's a single build for Amiga mice, Atari mice, joysticks, twin paddles, KoalaPads etc,?

It will. I'm quite looking forward to this part, since I'm going to implement a relocating loader for drivers and other resident extensions. This (it seems inevitable) will use the MADS relocatable binary format, which provides external symbolic references, relocation tables, etc (everything SDX binaries have with a couple of useful extras thrown in, like the ability to automatically relocate "LDA #< LABEL" without having to go around the houses). Wherever possible, configuration files will be in plain text format.

Don't expect to make much progress for a while: PC's dying (after six years - PCI slots have already gone the journey and the machine frequently hangs on during the BIOS boot phase) and I have no means of buying a new motherboard / CPU / memory combo at the moment (the current PC is first-gen AMD 64 with DDR RAM). I'm looking for stuff to sell on eBay - already wasted money on a USB wireless adapter when it was apparently the PCI controller at fault. :(

Alright, just booted the demo on my 130XE. Looking good! I can't really mess around with it much yet, as I need to build an adapter so I can use my bus mouse to control it. I'm using composite video, so I'm getting a little bit of a rainbow effect on certain things, but what I'm seeing is still very readable. I'll drop another note here once I get my mouse working.

I give up. What's the secret to using that page? I tried to donate, put the amount in (even varying amounts)

about 20 different times, then tried to logon to my paypal account, it always goes back to the screen and

says, "Please enter an amount other than zero".

:(

EDIT: Nevermind, got it - you *have* to update the total before the page will accept anything. :)

• Like 1

Guys - thank you all so very much. I can confirm that I've just placed an order (next day delivery) for a new new motherboard, RAM and CPU combo. Beginning to wish I'd gone for something a bit more high-end now (!), but seriously we're on the bones of our ass right now here (as are many people in this part of the world), and prior to these amazing acts of kindness and gestures of faith in the project, I was completely at a loss when faced with expensive unforeseen situations like this. It's hard to know what kind of shape the "retail" version of the GUI will take, but I have real hopes of commissioning a custom pass-thru cart and a presentation box with printed manual. I think - as a collector's item - it will be worthwhile. ;) Anyway, many of you are now owed retail packages, so I'm gonna have to get my records in order here.

Once again I'm humbled by the commitment and generosity shown by members of this community. I have the feeling the PC's gonna completely croak very soon, but then again it owes me nothing after more than six years of use. It's old equipment: Nforce4 motherboard with a dual core Athlon 64 and 2GB of DDR1 (!). I'd have been happy if it had chugged on for ever, but there it is. No doubt I'm in for a performance shock when I get the new system up and running. Of course there's a lot of preparation to do in the meantime, since I have a hell of a lot of valuable data to shift.

Website renewal's up, so that's taken care of too, and a whole lot of other headaches have been alleviated. I'd rather regard the donations as investments than hand-outs (and I'm sure you would too), but whichever way you look at it, you're still bloody kind and offered help when it really mattered most. I'm trying to learn the skills I need to find work in the IT sector, and I have to honour the commitment to the GUI shown by you people, so I have my work cut out, well and truly.

Thank you all again. And now I have to test Candle's ATR button code for the Incognito... :D

Edited by flashjazzcat

BTW, I guess it might have been discussed somewhere in this thread, but I don't want to grow

old(er) trying to search....so what's the pricing scheme? I've seen different options mentioned,

like retail, deluxe, etc,....Or is this something that's yet to be determined?

Thanks!

Like I said, Jon, I feel like its a worthy investment. I'm sure most here feel like I do, that we're going to get back

what we put in, squared. :)

Well - I only hope the end product is as exciting as I expect it to be. :)

BTW, I guess it might have been discussed somewhere in this thread, but I don't want to grow

old(er) trying to search....so what's the pricing scheme? I've seen different options mentioned,

like retail, deluxe, etc,....Or is this something that's yet to be determined?

Thanks!

Definitely yet to be determined. If I can use Steve Tucker's RAM cart (yet to be determined too), then I guess he and I would work something out together in that department, or if it was just a plain pass-thru cart (like Diamond, say), that would have to be fabbed up some place and I'd want a high-quality casing with a printed logo, etc. Printed manual and box would be nice, but I'm a long way off enquiring about this yet: gotta finish the software first, or at least something resembling a working system. ;) I just hope I don't grow too much older writing it. :D

Of course the ROM and support disk will also be available to download for free, for those who just want to flash their own 1Mbit cart, Sic! cart, U1MB, etc - just to make that clear.

As promised, donated!

You shouldn't Phil - you've been too generous already. ;)