IGNORED

Best neo geo games? (not fighters!)

so_tough!

Due to other priorities, over the last year I have not bought any videogames at all. Last week I bought two pc engine games, the dry spell is over :) Christmas is coming up, so I thought I would treat myself to some neo geo games. I own an aes and neo cd. Soon after I got my neo cd (console didn't come with any games), I picked up 5 fighting games off ebay for not much at all. They are not really my cup of tea, I guess I don't really like fighting games.

What cd or aes games can people suggest ?? I'm up for any suggestions, as long as no fighters!!!

ps-if anyone wants these games, either to buy or swap, send me a private message!!!

Twinkle Star Sprites is a top pick for me... it's an overhead view shooter played against the computer or a friend. Imagine the love child of Raiden, Bust-A-Move, and old episodes of Sailor Moon and you've got the right idea. Not the manliest game you'll ever play on the Neo-Geo, but if you wanted testosterone in your video games, you'd be playing fighters.

Ninja Commando's also pretty fun, a big chaotic mess of a shooter that gives ADK's earlier game Time Soldiers a 16-bit supercharge. You'll battle everything from cavemen to enormous sumo wrestlers, engage in nonsensical conversations with the villain, and pull off awesome super moves far beyond anything you've ever seen in Commando or Ikari Warriors. It's the poster child for everything I love about the Neo-Geo... bright candy colors, screen-filling bosses, earth-shaking explosions, wild special effects, and plenty of the absurdity you've come to expect from the Japanese. It isn't a very long game, so if you're actually buying the cartridge, get a copy as cheap as possible.

Some of my non-fighting Neo favorites are:

shmups - Prehistoric Isle 2, Ironclad, Pulstar, Blazing Star, Last Resort, Capt. Tomaday, Ghost Pilots, Twinkle Star Sprites, Viewpoint

beat em ups - King of the Monsters 1 & 2, Sengoku 2 & 3, Burning Fight

platformers - Nightmare in the Dark (horror themed bubble bobble clone), Magician Lord

run n gun - Metal Slug series, Shocktroopers series, Spinmaster, Nam 75, Ninja Commando

puzzle games - Puzzle dePon, Puzzle Bobble series

sports - Windjammers, Super Dodgeball, Neo Turf Masters, League Bowling, Baseball Stars 2 (my fav baseball game on any platform)

racing - Overtop, Neo Drift Out

other - Neo Mr. Do, Crossed Swords series

Some of these are expensive, esp. for AES. A couple of these are CD exclusives too.

Edited by boog

Thanks dudes!! :) Actually I should probably tell you what neo games I have.....

Minus the fighting games I bought off ebay for the neo cd, I have viewpoint for the neo geo cd. For the Aes I own, Alpha Mission 2, Ghost pilots, Riding Hero and Blues Journey. I did used to own Samurai Showdown 2 and World Heroes Jet, but I sold them. I really need more neo geo games :)

Magical drop is pretty entertaining...heck for ten bucks I picked up some horse racing (stakes winner) game and it is time consuming even to learn, but Im with Ax on his lists.....top hunter is fun and Metal slug will take ya some time to play and the graphics are appealing.....

pm sent

Edited by Chris Leach

A few spring right to mind

Neo Turf Masters, Street Hoop, Baseball Stars 2

Metal Slug 3 (no cd)

Puzzle Bobble

Blazing Star (no cd), Aero Fighters 2

shock troopers, neo bomber man, panic bomber and strikers 1945 are good too, but mvs only.

To be honest though, I'm into neo geo primarily for the fighters.

Edited by Reaperman

Many thanks for the suggestions :) Just curious anyone else into neo geo but does not like the fighting games?

I used to want one so bad back when they were new. But I was just in high school so the closest I ever got to one was looking at pictures and screenshots in magazines. I'm not a fighter fan, but this thing looked amazing. I have a Wii and have only downloaded one Neo game, Metal Slug. So... now that I am an adult with a J-O-B, if I ever got one, I wouldn't be interested in the fighting games, either.

I couldnt get into the CD system after owning AES & MVS, loading drove me nuts.

It seemed to NEVER end...even between rounds.

SVC Chaos is a great fighter even if you dont like them. Its the best of the Neo line up Against Capcoms greatest! Ryu vs Megaman.icon_thumbsup.gif

But my non fighter favs are:

Shock Troopers 2

Prehistoric Isle 2

Pulstar

Blazing Star

Twinkle Star Sprites

Ganryu

Top Hunter

Viewpoint

Sengoku 2

Nightmare in the Dark

Metal Slug 3,4,5

Shocktroopers

Baseball Stars 2

Neo Mr. Do

Crossed Swords

Robo Army

Some of the most fun games on Neo Geo are sports games!

I have the most fun playing Neo Geo sports games - especially with a friend…

League Bowling

Neo Turfmasters

Baseball Stars 1 and 2

Super Baseball 2020

also some other good titles I enjoy personally:

Alpha Mission 2

Andro Dunos

Last Resort

Blue's Journey

Cyber-Lip

Magician Lord

Sengoku

These games I mentioned are some of the more affordable and easy to find AES games.

As for Twinkle Star Sprites, this game is ultimate competitive fun, one of the best games ever, but is pricey on Neo Geo, so my wife and I enjoy the other ports of TSS.

I have a Neo Geo MVS and it's probably my favorite game system. I'm not a fan of fighters really (although I play Samurai Shodown once in a very rare while). My favorite games are:

Nam 1975

Shock Troopers

Blazing Star

Pulstar

Metal Slug 3

Nam 1975 is probably my favorite because I love shooting gallery games (Cabal-style games) and this is one of the best.

-Adam

Out of the games I have played that are not fighters I really like:

Windjammers

League Bowling

Super Sidekicks 3

Aerofighters 1 & 2

Neo Turf Masters

Magician Lord

Puzzle Bobble

and the Rally game that I can't remember the name of.

Edited by The_Laird

I'm fairly partial to shooters. All of these can be had on the Neo CD and the load times are minimal (one long load sequence at the start typically, then no load times afterwards): Last Resort, Viewpoint (Doesn't seem to be listed much here?), the Aero Fighters series. I wasn't a fan of Ghost Pilots, but it's cheap on CD, so that's another one right there. If you don't mind a lot of load time, Pulstar is a personal favorite, and the first two Metal Slugs were released on CD (They should be pretty cheap these days, too).

Just curious anyone else into neo geo but does not like the fighting games?

Despite all the suggestions people have already made (Which is probably close to EVERY non-fighting game available), the Neo Geo is primarily for fans of SNK fighting games. I'm a little curious... if you don't like the fighting games, why did you buy an AES in the first place? Seems awfully expensive for an impulse buy.

--Zero

Many thanks for the suggestions :) Just curious anyone else into neo geo but does not like the fighting games?

Neo Geo rocks, but yeah - all those rehashes of the same one-one-one fighting game was lame - IMO. Just sold a 4 slot AES system to a buddy and got rid of my console a long time ago, but the games I would pursue again today would be:

Ghost Pilots

Nam 1975

Crossed Swords

That Golf Game

Both Baseball Stars

League Bowling

Burning Fight

King of the Monsters (both)

Last Resort

ALL Metal Slugs

Mutation Nation

Ninja Combat

Sengoku (all)

Stakes Winner

Thrash Rally

Windjammers

Andro Dunos

Viewpoint

the Neo Geo is primarily for fans of SNK fighting games.

I'd disagree with that statement. As someone that deals in arcade games, I can tell you none of my customers who have AES systems enjoy the redundant fighting games at all. The Neo*Geo is just as much for fans of shooters and sports as it is fighting games.