Photo

AspeQt: Yet another SIO2PC/APE clone

681 replies to this topic

#676 HiassofT OFFLINE  

HiassofT

Dragonstomper

• 802 posts

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:42 AM

Lo and behold the two files had different lengths and closer examination with a hex editor revealed that the copy of the file in the ATR had extraneous bytes (in fact a specific value - $0D-Carriage Return character) in several places throughout the body.

This sounds like a file might have been opened in text mode instead of binary mode - or you use some function that's doing lf->crlf translation.

BTW: Just tried to compile current svn trunk and noticed 3 files were missing:
hias@atari:~/atari/aspeqt/svn$ qmake
RCC: Error in 'documentation.qrc': Cannot find file 'AspeQt User Manual-English.html'
RCC: Error in 'documentation.qrc': Cannot find file 'AspeQt User Manual-German.html'
RCC: Error in 'images.qrc': Cannot find file 'images/MainWindowBackGround.png'
RCC: Warning: No resources in 'images.qrc'.
BTW2: it would be nice if you could include a short commit message, so viewing the svn log gives a hint on what was changed in each commit.

so long,

Hias

#677 atari8warez OFFLINE  

atari8warez

River Patroller

• 2,127 posts

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:44 AM

Ok guys, lets not get this into another pissing contest. I admit this time around I was too quick to jump the gun on uflash unlike other times when I had problems or concerns with FJC's (or other people's) software and reported them to him (them) most of the times with videos simply to show the issue more clearly. Using videos is not for any other purpose and he knows it. This time I removed the video as fast as I can so that I do not create unfair references to his software, I came here and made my misunderstanding and the bug in AspeQt public (I could have just as well hide it and fix it and mix it quietly with other modifications). I also apologized to FJC in the uflash thread, yet he still comes here and makes remarks which has nothing to do with the problem at hand.

I will not drag this issue further and will continue to work with AspeQt, unfortunately debugging a multi-threaded, event driven, signals and slots based code is not easy to debug, AspeQt has a lot of complex code and multitude of objects and inheritances to deal with and understand, majority of the code is not mine so the debugging will take some time and effort, therefore I better spend my time doing just that and fixing instead of creating new opportunities for more show.

My gratitudes and thanks goes to everybody who supports and appreciates using AspeQt. Some authors have issues when they have users who take a serious look at their software and don't hesitate to voice their concern or suggestions with whatever means they see necessary, they would much prefer to hearing and reading comments like "you're the best, you're the greatest". I am not one of them, I can take the criticism just as well as I take praise (something I rarely get and thus appreciate very much when it happens).

So again, it was my mistake to jump the gun with this latest issue therefore I apologize for that, let's get back to the fun of debugging :)

Edited by atari8warez, Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:46 AM.

#678 atari8warez OFFLINE  

atari8warez

River Patroller

• 2,127 posts

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:00 PM

This sounds like a file might have been opened in text mode instead of binary mode - or you use some function that's doing lf->crlf translation.

BTW: Just tried to compile current svn trunk and noticed 3 files were missing:

hias@atari:~/atari/aspeqt/svn$ qmake
RCC: Error in 'documentation.qrc': Cannot find file 'AspeQt User Manual-English.html'
RCC: Error in 'documentation.qrc': Cannot find file 'AspeQt User Manual-German.html'
RCC: Error in 'images.qrc': Cannot find file 'images/MainWindowBackGround.png'
RCC: Warning: No resources in 'images.qrc'.
BTW2: it would be nice if you could include a short commit message, so viewing the svn log gives a hint on what was changed in each commit.

so long,

Hias

Hias the code in question is not mine so I can not comment what it is exactly wrong with it until i have a chance to examine it (gotta first find the exact point in the code where the file is processed ). I will add those missing files and include commit messages in the future, thanks for the suggestion about the bug, will keep that in mind.

#679 atari8warez OFFLINE  

atari8warez

River Patroller

• 2,127 posts

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:10 PM

Hias, missing files are now restored to SVN

Edited by atari8warez, Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:11 PM.

#680 atari8warez OFFLINE  

atari8warez

River Patroller

• 2,127 posts

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:51 PM

version 1.0.0 Preview-5 (Feb 23, 2014)

Finally got to the bottom of the file corruption problem that occurred when the Image Explorer is used to insert files into an ATR image.

Issue: When a  binary file is inserted into an ATR via Image Explorer by either "Add File" menu item, or by drag and drop functionality, AspeQt was doing a text conversion and dropping $0D characters from the binary file causing the corruption of the said file.

Reason: The primary reason was I believe the Image Explorer has never been fully tested and was (and still is) under development as indicated by the AspeQt manual. But the specific reason for the above issue was an improper IF statement which had an if condition that should have really been an else condition and vice versa.

Fix: Changed the offending if statement and tested the Text Conversion logic to make sure text and binary files are processed correctly. Also cleaned-up code which displayed a vague error message when number of bytes read from the file did not match expected number of bytes.

Proper procedure for converting text files with AspeQt Text Conversion feature:

Case-1:  Atari format text file is on the PC and you want to add it to the ATR image, simply insert/drop the file into Image Explorer window with Text Conversion OFF

Case-2:  Atari format text file is on the PC and you want to convert it to the PC format (using AspeQt like a text converter), simply insert/drop the file into Image Explorer window with Text Conversion OFF, then extract/drag-and-drop from the Image Explorer to the PC with Text Conversion ON.

Case-3: Atari file format text file is on Atari and you want to add it to the ATR image, simply copy the file with your Atari to the drive where the ATR image is mounted.

Case-4: Atari file format text file is on Atari and you want to copy it to your PC in PC text file format, first copy the file with your Atari to the drive where the ATR image is mounted, then extract/drag-and-drop the file from Image Explorer to PC with Text Conversion ON

Above procedure text will also be added to AspeQt manual for the upcoming v1.0.0 release

Attached File  aspeqt_v1_P5.zip   571.52KB   32 downloads

Edited by atari8warez, Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:33 PM.

#681 lemiel OFFLINE  

lemiel

Star Raider

• 77 posts

Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:09 AM

Back to 1050 Turbo. As I wrote in http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221086-sio2sd-and-real-1050-drive-dont-like-each-other/?view=findpost&p=2926821  I want to have possibility to transfer (copy between) in 1050 turbo speed mode from/to real drive/SIO2SD/AspeQt connected simultanously to computer. Nothing but that or as much that.

Edited by lemiel, Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:10 AM.

#682 atari8warez OFFLINE  

atari8warez

River Patroller

• 2,127 posts

Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:48 PM

Back to 1050 Turbo. As I wrote in http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221086-sio2sd-and-real-1050-drive-dont-like-each-other/?view=findpost&p=2926821  I want to have possibility to transfer (copy between) in 1050 turbo speed mode from/to real drive/SIO2SD/AspeQt connected simultanously to computer. Nothing but that or as much that.

Sorry Lemiel, I have other priorities with AspeQt and I am not able to commit any time to studying/understanding Turbo system's inner workings at this time. I however welcome anybody who has such knowledge and time to get involved and work on such an add-on module for AspeQt, after all it is open source and everybody has access to the source code.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users