IGNORED

AspeQt: Yet another SIO2PC/APE clone

cyco130

Ok, your app works on my MacBook Air as well - strange why it's not working the other way around as well. Yours is approx. 2MB larger than mine but has a nice icon. So unless the crashes cease to appear once Yosemite is out in public, I'd suggest atari8warez links to a site where you put up the most recent compiled app of AspeQt?

My iconset file is probably the difference in size. I copied that into the Resources folder of the app bundle and edited the info.plist file manually because I don't know jack about QT Creator and didn't want to try to figure out how to add it into the project build. For that matter, I didn't actually use QT Creator at all. As it turns out, I built it with command line tools, then created the icon image, created a set of various-sized icons from it with a nifty Automator script someone had posted elsewhere, added that to the .app bundle and then, once you pointed the way, used that nifty macdeployqt command to package it all up into a self-contained app.

I don't mind if Atari8Warez links it from his own site, or puts it up on his SourceForge site or whatever. I don't claim anything about it except making it work with Yosemite, which I'm sure anyone could've done if they built it on a Yosemite system using the latest QT tools and libraries like I did. And the icon image is something I nicked off the 'net on an image search, then cut out, made the background transparent, etc. And if THAT gets someone's knickers in a twist, I can easily do a "product shot" of my own 1050's and Program Recorder against a white background and create another one.

Will do. I'm still a newbie on Linux, but SIO2PC and Amiga Explorer are the last two 'windows only' apps I have and both have a Linux equivalent so I'm desperate to get them working. I'm not having much luck with the Amiga Explorer one either (lxamiga) due to similar compiling errors.

Yeah, unless you're pretty au fait with QT and all the dependencies, fixing compilation errors can be a bit frustrating. I've given up with Mac OS X, since since it's probably assumed everyone is running Mavericks. Under Windows, things usually just seem to work out of the box. I don't have a Linux installation at the moment, but last time I did the published build of Aspeqt worked just fine.

I've given up with Mac OS X, since since it's probably assumed everyone is running Mavericks.

What's the latest version of Qt and Xcode you can install under 10.6?

And for that matter, did the version I compiled with your and freetz's help work for you?

What's the latest version of Qt and Xcode you can install under 10.6?

And for that matter, did the version I compiled with your and freetz's help work for you?

XCode 4.2 is the highest, and even that was hard to get hold of. I'm not too fussed about compiling Aspeqt; I was just trying to obtain a build which works on the AMD machine. However, none do, and the fact QT Creator itself won't run on that machine suggests a CPU or kernel compatibility issue.

All the Mac OS X builds of Aspeqt linked in this topic work just great on the Intel laptop, as does QT 5.3 itself, aside from the SDK library problems which prevent me from actually compiling anything. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

So what was I doing wrong then? When I tried to Make it I got all sorts of errors.

You don't need to compile, it is already compiled, just download, unpack and run. You don't need the QT installed, I tried it on my Ubuntu install under Virtualbox, it runs just fine

post-15627-0-45535600-1405711775_thumb.jpg

Edited by atari8warez

In case Linux (Ubuntu/Debian) users run into a problem with missing Qt libraries in their OS installation, here's a list of library dependencies for AspeQt

linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb775e000)
	libz.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 (0xb772d000)
	libQt5PrintSupport.so.5 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQt5PrintSupport.so.5 (0xb76ce000)
	libQt5Widgets.so.5 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQt5Widgets.so.5 (0xb70ab000)
	libQt5Network.so.5 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQt5Network.so.5 (0xb6f65000)
	libQt5Gui.so.5 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQt5Gui.so.5 (0xb6b0d000)
	libQt5Core.so.5 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5 (0xb6677000)
	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0xb665b000)
	libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb6571000)
	libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb6554000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0xb63a5000)
	libm.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0xb635f000)
	libgobject-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0 (0xb630d000)
	libglib-2.0.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0xb6200000)
	libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 (0xb60cc000)
	libpng12.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpng12.so.0 (0xb60a4000)
	libharfbuzz.so.0 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libharfbuzz.so.0 (0xb604e000)
	libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1 (0xb5fee000)
	libicui18n.so.52 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libicui18n.so.52 (0xb5ddc000)
	libicuuc.so.52 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libicuuc.so.52 (0xb5c6a000)
	libdl.so.2 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0xb5c65000)
	librt.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0xb5c5c000)
	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb775f000)
	libffi.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libffi.so.6 (0xb5c55000)
	libpcre.so.3 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3 (0xb5c16000)
	libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1 (0xb5bf4000)
	libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libfreetype.so.6 (0xb5b55000)
	libgraphite2.so.3 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgraphite2.so.3 (0xb5b39000)
	libglapi.so.0 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libglapi.so.0 (0xb5b21000)
	libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXext.so.6 (0xb5b0d000)
	libXdamage.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXdamage.so.1 (0xb5b09000)
	libXfixes.so.3 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXfixes.so.3 (0xb5b03000)
	libX11-xcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11-xcb.so.1 (0xb5b00000)
	libxcb-glx.so.0 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb-glx.so.0 (0xb5ae8000)
	libxcb-dri2.so.0 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb-dri2.so.0 (0xb5ae1000)
	libxcb-dri3.so.0 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb-dri3.so.0 (0xb5add000)
	libxcb-present.so.0 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb-present.so.0 (0xb5ad9000)
	libxcb-sync.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb-sync.so.1 (0xb5ad2000)
	libxshmfence.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxshmfence.so.1 (0xb5acf000)
	libXxf86vm.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXxf86vm.so.1 (0xb5ac8000)
	libdrm.so.2 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdrm.so.2 (0xb5abb000)
	libicudata.so.52 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libicudata.so.52 (0xb444e000)
	libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXau.so.6 (0xb444a000)
	libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb4443000)

Also attached is a text file of the above in Linux text format.

My default Ubuntu installation running under VirtualBox VM has all the QT libraries needed by AspeQt so there was no need for me to install QT at all.

dependencies.txt

Edited by atari8warez

Okay, so I got my SIO2USB/10502USB device from atari8warez today - the good news it arrived safe, it looks fantastic and it works!

The bad news is the version of AspeQt I compiled has weird stuff going on that I need to figure out. It works, sort of, most of the time, but there are often numerous pauses and hesitations while disk access is going on. Simply booting will read a couple dozen sectors at most before it will hesitate for several seconds, sometimes 20 or more seconds, then continue on. The process is also consistently using 99% - 105% of one of the cores of my i7 MacBookPro. By contrast, I can use "SIO Server" app without any hesitations or pauses at all, and it's only using ~10% or less of my CPU time while it's running.

If I get the urge tomorrow I will delve into the QT Creator application and see if there are options I need to set or un-set that might be impacting performance.

That's strange. With an i7 it should fly!, I am able to run AspeQt decently on my netbook with an Atom single core processor under Ubuntu, with about 30% CPU usage in high speed SIO mode I have no hesitations or pauses but some speed renegotiations between the Atari and AspeQt. Could this be a driver issue??

That's strange. With an i7 it should fly!, I am able to run AspeQt decently on my netbook with an Atom single core processor under Ubuntu, with about 30% CPU usage in high speed SIO mode I have no hesitations or pauses but some speed renegotiations between the Atari and AspeQt. Could this be a driver issue??

You know, I don't think so. For comparison, I tested SIO2OSX (the demo version) and the freebie little SIO Server app someone posted here at AA several years ago.

SIO Server worked without a hitch - absolutely lightning smooth.

The demo version of SIO2OSX worked just fine once I set it for DSR handshaking.

Both of them idle at about 5% - 10%, and peak at about 30% during a long file transfer. So something is up with AspeQt as I've compiled it. I need to figure out why it's using so much processor power and hesitating after every couple dozen sectors.

When I built it, I used the Xcode 5 command line tools; I tried tonight to set my development environment to use the Xcode 6 command line tools but the 'make' process failed. I don't know if that's an incompatibility with Qt or a simple problem with paths. Setting my environment back to Xcode 5 let me compile again but obviously the performance is exactly the same. I'm gonna sleep on it and see if I can figure out what's up tomorrow.

I have the same problem on my MacBook Air with the version that I compiled in a standard envorionment - "top" states that AspeQt's process is using 100% CPU load and more. Always thought that it has to be that way, but didn't really try other programs at length. But good to know that it's probably something in the code that can be fixed in the end...

Edited by freetz

I have the same problem on my MacBook Air with the version that I compiled in a standard envorionment - "top" states that AspeQt's process is using 100% CPU load and more. Always thought that it has to be that way, but didn't really try other programs at length. But good to know that it's probably something in the code that can be fixed in the end...

I sure hope it can be fixed; my bigger concern is the hesitation and delays in virtual disk access. The CPU usage sucks for battery life if you're mobile but otherwise doesn't harm anything, really.

For comparison, I suggest you download and try SIO Server. It's not as full-featured as AspeQt but it sure is pretty. And it works without those delays and pauses in the SIO data stream. It also doesn't suck up the CPU cycles. http://www.ellissoft... Server.app.zip

We really need to figure out what's going on with the AspeQt code. I wonder if we could ask 'meliss', the author of SIO Server, to take a look at the AspeQt code with an eye to optimizing the Mac side of the code?

Edited by DrVenkman

For comparison, I suggest you download and try SIO Server. It's not as full-featured as AspeQt but it sure is pretty. And it works without those delays and pauses in the SIO data stream. It also doesn't suck up the CPU cycles. http://www.ellissoft... Server.app.zip

Tried SIO Server the other day and while it ostensibly works fine with my FTDI interface, it has serious problems with double-density disks and keeps timing out. Single-density ATRs seem to boot without issue, which I find quite strange. I'd like to know what's going on with that. If SIO Server also did folder imaging (and I could iron out the transmission problems), it would be a really nice alternative.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Tried SIO Server the other day and while it ostensibly works fine with my FTDI interface, it has serious problems with double-density disks and keeps timing out. Single-density ATRs seem to boot without issue, which I find quite strange. I'd like to know what's going on with that. If SIO Server also did folder imaging (and I could iron out the transmission problems), it would be a really nice alternative.

I haven't played around with DD images so I missed that issue. I never had a DD drive back in the 80's so it just never occurs to me to use them virtually. Limited thinking on my part, I guess. :) I don't think SIO Server does cassette emulation either, nor does it do printer emulation. I think 'meliss' has pretty stopped developing it or adding features, so any hope for a more fully-featured, free Mac app lies with AspeQt.

What I miss especially is AspeQt's really nice feature to boot an executable and update it at the touch of a button. Very handy when developing on a Mac/PC but running the code on actual hardware. Still, I guess it's probably just a very minor issue if these problems don't exist on PC hardware. I lack debugging knowledge to the extent of finding out what actually keeps the machine busy. Since it also happens when AspeQt is more or less idling, I assume it's a polling or sleep state misconfiguration or something like that...

What I miss especially is AspeQt's really nice feature to boot an executable and update it at the touch of a button.

I use folder imaging 100 per cent of the time, which is why I've always been keen to see the problems ironed out of it. I just image the compiler's target folder and mount it on D2:. I'd really miss that feature if it wasn't there.