Photo

Arkyology - New prototype discovered - Finished Game!

510 replies to this topic

#501 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

River Patroller

• 2,133 posts

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:15 AM

darn it, stop making awesome games! lol

i'm more than happy to give my money to the AA store when it's ready. kinda lame that folks are doing this on ebay.

#502 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Wank Fart

• 18,632 posts

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:44 PM

darn it, stop making awesome games! lol

i'm more than happy to give my money to the AA store when it's ready. kinda lame that folks are doing this on ebay.

The game was posted publicly without any strings attached so it was only a matter of time before this happened. I'm personally surprised it took this long before they started showing up for sale in public to the masses. A lot of people just don't care.

#503 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Wank Fart

• 18,632 posts

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:05 PM

The light sixer Crossbow sent me was key to success here. Game works perfect as expected. Lesson to be learned here is that Arkyology will not run on 7800's that are known for issues with other games. You can add this title to the running list of 2600 games that work perfect on all other systems but don't work on bitchy 7800s.

#504 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,374 posts

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2019 6:43 PM

Can't seem to track down the cause of that "death rattle"...but it only happens when the framecount reaches 60 in Stella (?)

By death rattle, do you mean how the screen slowly scrolls upward when it's game over? 'Cause that's what happens when playing the Arky_mod (not Paul's original rom) games with Harmony on a 7800 that plays all the known problem games. 

Had some fun *finally* giving this game a try today! Was hoping the modded versions tweaked certain play mechanics, but doesn't seem to be the case. I'll have to give all 20+ pages a good read to see if I'm missing something, but getting on/off ladders is a bit tricky as is jumping to reach the keys/door handles and animals.

Also, what's up with the intermittent pulsating hole that sweeps the floor? Guess I have some reading to do. :lol:

#505 -^CrožBow^- OFFLINE  

-^CrožBow^-

Quadrunner

• 6,752 posts
  • Collector of Fine Atari and Sega Antiquities!

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2019 9:14 PM

My 7800 actually didn't exhibit any issues with the game at all and I've played it quite a bit. But I've only managed to get to day 4 as my higest. As for the Pulsating hole..that is actually a turtle...a really fast turtle.

#506 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

River Patroller

• 2,508 posts

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2019 9:57 PM

By death rattle, do you mean how the screen slowly scrolls upward when it's game over? 'Cause that's what happens when playing the Arky_mod (not Paul's original rom) games, Harmony on a 7800 that plays all the known problem games. 

Had some fun *finally* giving this game a try today! Was hoping the modded versions tweaked certain play mechanics, but doesn't seem to be the case. I'll have to give all 20+ pages a good read to see if I'm missing something, but getting on/off ladders is a bit tricky as is jumping to reach the keys/door handles and animals.

Also, what's up with the intermittent pulsating hole that sweeps the floor? Guess I have some reading to do. :lol:

You can't jump on and off ladders, you have to be on the floor beneath the ladder (in the small rectangle on the floor) to get on or off. For the handles/latches/hammers/crosses/whatever and animals, you have to touch them with your out-stretched hand, not your head, so, it takes more precision than it first seems. Mechanics were not touched, as the difficulties were all intended. The programmers considered the game completed. By the last revision by Nukey, changes included graphical stability and other program stability issues due to transfer from 1984 "computer" to SD cart or modern emulator, minor graphical changes (water under ark, legs on porcupine), plus options where earning extra lives can go beyond three total and changes in the alligators (alligators/no alligators?). These options were set with the difficulty switched, last I remember). Someone else might remember something more, but I think those are the main revisions from the original. A turtle hack would be another nice addition to the Arky-Mod.

#507 Supergun OFFLINE  

Supergun

Stargunner

• 1,064 posts

Posted Sat Jan 5, 2019 7:20 AM

Yes, that list of implemented changes sounds about right. But for the record, the only version I ever play, when I play, is the original untouched rom file as it was from the day the programmer posted it here. And on real hardware, (untouched stock 2600 with a CRT tv), it plays just fine. Difficult, and at times unforgiving? Yes. But you quickly get used to the control & gameplay. Not to mention, its the only way that your score counts towards our small group of competitors here!

#508 sramirez2008 OFFLINE  

sramirez2008

River Patroller

• 2,676 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:59 PM

Not trying to rush anything or anyone, but was wondering when we could expect the official AA release of this cart? :)

#509 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,876 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:23 PM

Not trying to rush anything or anyone, but was wondering when we could expect the official AA release of this cart? :)

Also, I would like to see the newest Xevious Prototype (fixed) released with and without Box. That was found and shared in 2015.
Was it forgotten, or is there just no demand?

The official Atari box can be seen in the background of an Atari commercial. Those 1984 games were really pushing the system.

I just wish the Xevious tune was as good as the 7800 Xevious, because it’s using the same sound chip.

Edited by iesposta, Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:25 PM.

#510 chewy OFFLINE  

chewy

Chopper Commander

• 109 posts

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:41 PM

im finding it challenging enough to want to play again and again- i just got to level 2, but not much beyond the start of that- 

#511 chewy OFFLINE  

chewy

Chopper Commander

• 109 posts

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:41 PM

oh forgot to say hardware profile- playing on light sixer. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users