Photo

Arkyology - New prototype discovered - Finished Game!

138 replies to this topic

#126 nanochess OFFLINE  

nanochess

River Patroller

• 4,972 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 1:43 PM

A finished game?!?!?!

I really would like to see it :)

I didn't remember already posted in this thread!!! :o

Apparently I forget things about 2 years later. :grin:

#127 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• 26,703 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 1:59 PM

I completely forgot about this as well.

#128 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 17,006 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 2:45 PM

I completely forgot about this as well.

I betcha CPUWIZ didn't.

#129 pacman000 OFFLINE  

pacman000

Moonsweeper

• 312 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 6:21 PM

This was an interesting read; thanks for bumping it.

#130 Swami ONLINE  

Swami

Dragonstomper

• 971 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 11:40 PM

I betcha CPUWIZ didn't.

The infamous 100 eproms?

#131 chavert OFFLINE  

chavert

Moonsweeper

• 348 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 3:54 AM

• Arkyology (unreleased) (Sparrow) Paul Walters, George Hefner, Rick Harris (programming); Barb Ultis (graphics)
  • Dazzler [Unitronics Expander] (unreleased) (Unitronics)
  • Those Little Buggers [Unitronics Expander] (unreleased) (Unitronics)
  • Treasure Hunt [Unitronics Expander] (unreleased) (Unitronics)

I did not know, interesting.

#132 Waggie OFFLINE  

Waggie

Dragonstomper

• 673 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 7:09 AM

Yes, we worked with Unitronics and made three games for the "Unitronics Expander" ( http://www.atarihq.c...8/expander.html)  btw: That second picture is actually me holding the joystick! It was taken at the 1983 CES in Las Vegas for a last-minute flyer. The three games pictured are "Treasure Hunt", "Dazzler", and "Those Little Buggers" ( I *REALLY* hated that name).

After reading this thread again, this nugget jumped out at me.  If Paul is still around, I'd love a little more info on this.

Did they have a working prototype and if so, who might still have it?  Was there a specs sheet to help in developing games for it?

Do the 3 games exist somewhere still?  Some of the talented people on Atariage could probably figure out how to get them to work.

#133 high voltage OFFLINE  

high voltage

Quadrunner

• 6,305 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 7:56 AM

After reading this thread again, this nugget jumped out at me.  If Paul is still around, I'd love a little more info on this.

Did they have a working prototype and if so, who might still have it?  Was there a specs sheet to help in developing games for it?

Do the 3 games exist somewhere still?  Some of the talented people on Atariage could probably figure out how to get them to work.

Don't wanna derail, Waggie.....Birthday Mania, please.....

#134 Waggie OFFLINE  

Waggie

Dragonstomper

• 673 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:01 PM

Don't wanna derail, Waggie.....Birthday Mania, please.....

I hear you.  Nothing really to blame now except laziness and my mental block with Photoshop.  I just don't find it very intuitive for the editing I need to do for the materials.  I've been planning to tackle it over the holidays as I don't have to travel this year.

#135 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Just a regular dude.

• 24,988 posts
  • Meh

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 4:10 PM

Wow.  This looks like a fun game!

#136 Waggie OFFLINE  

Waggie

Dragonstomper

• 673 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 4:17 PM

Maybe this should go in a different thread, but here is some info I found on Unitronics:

1.  A U.S. Trademark was filed for the name Unitronics on January 17, 1983.  The application reveals that the first use was January 5, 1983 (CES apparently) and that the company that owns it is Unitoys, Inc. from San Francisco.

2.  The U.S. Copyright database lists 3 items belonging to Unitoys.  The most relevant one is titled "Unitronics game story boards."  and has a date of January 17, 1983.

3.  The California secretary of state reveals that Unitoys was registered on July 22, 1982 and the agent is someone named Ed Ghandour.

4.  In searching the name, an article from People magazine popped up from January 11, 1982 about a former math professor named Addi Ben "Ed" Ghandour in the San Francisco area.  He invented a new yo-yo that returns automatically and started a company "Today Knots, Inc." to manufacture and sell them.  I could not find a registration for the company, so it is possible the proper paperwork was not done or it was a DBA which is handled at the local level in California and difficult to research.

5.  The U.S. Patent database has his invention listed with a filing date of January 14, 1981 and lists his name as Edmond Ghandour.

6.  There is an Ed Ghandour that lives in the San Francisco area today that appears to be a financier/developer.  Its hard to say if he is the same person, but the clues would suggest it is.  If it is the inventor, he would be about 72 today based on the magazine article.  I couldn't find an email to contact him, maybe someone local would be interested in finding a way to speak with him?

#137 Mountain King OFFLINE  

Mountain King

Dragonstomper

• 628 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:56 PM

I'm a little concerned that this job just completely dropped off the face of the Earth.

#138 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Commander

• 32,900 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:19 PM

No time to respond properly, personal issues on programmers side. Everything is ready, I have the ROM and materials, given I don't lose them.

Again, do not ask me for the ROM, just like all the other protos I am entrusted with.

We now return to watching water dropping helicopters.

#139 Mountain King OFFLINE  

Mountain King

Dragonstomper

• 628 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 12:35 AM

Stay safe Cpuwiz.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users