IGNORED

Giving it some serious thought..

jeremysart

I have a pretty large collection of classic gaming consoles, hardware, software, books, and a few vintage PC's as well. In the collection are about 34 consoles, 300+ games, vintage Atari books (including an entire subscription to the ACE MI "Atari Computer Enthusiasts of Michigan" from 1979 to 1983) plus several rare boxed games and hardware including the ECS and Music Synthensizer, plus Congo Bongo and Fathom both complete and re-sealed for the Intv.

I have always imagined how cool it would be to have this stuff when I have a kid of my own, and to introduce them to the classics of the day before whatever consoles are out then.

But as of lately, I have been giving it serious thought to just sell it all.

I am largely attached to my collection, and I know it will be hard to see it all go, but the fact that I am tied so tightly to material possessions, and nostalgic emotions has brought me to the conclusion that my collection is unhealthy for the life style that I want.

I am an Artist, I love painting. But ever since I got a full time job, my own place, a wife, and my own responsibility, I have found it very hard to ration out my time, and find hours for making art like I used to, and I have been horribly depressed (though no one would know it). The depression has for sure had a lot to do with my morbid fascination to collect as much as I can in such a short period of time.

The room I had set up for making art has slowly transformed into shelves full of gaming consoles and games.

So I am starting to think, the money I could earn from my collection might make me happier than the collection itself. The money could buy me art supplies, future school materials, more time, more space, and more self-confidence.

So I guess my question is, what is your opinion of the market?

Do you think the demand and price of vintage consoles and games will rise over the next 10+ years, or do you think it will weaken, and would now be a decent time to abandon ship?

If not, how long do you think I should hold on to it?

What time of year is best for selling?

Dunno, any support or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Well, if you feel like you're too tightly tied to material possessions and you want to give up your materialistic ways.....

you could always give it all to me. ;) I'd be more than happy!

I guess it just depends on where your priorities are. To be honest there's hardly anything out there that isn't capable of being bought/acquired later on. I'd say if you're really into selling it all, sell the common/rare stuff but keep the items that you absolutely KNOW you won't be able to find again, like your magazines and whatnot.

Finding another 800XL or 5200 isn't that hard, and if you change your mind it won't set you back too much cash.

Perhaps you could consider not selling absolutely everything?

Is there a particular console -- or a few consoles -- which have games that you enjoy much more than the others?

I say this because of my own experience with selling everything off. Every time I've done that, I've regretted it. While 34 consoles may be an overabundance, that doesn't necessarily mean that having zero of them is the answer.

I used to have tons of systems and games. I sold them all off, bought some stuff that made me happy, and went on with my life, much happier than I'd been. But after a number of years, I wished I hadn't done that. I wished I'd kept a few of the consoles and games. So I had to go back and laboriously buy it all again. It's not so much the cost of the individual items, it's the hassle of finding items that are in good condition and that are available for a fair price. The time and effort you have to put in for that is just too much, in my opinion.

This time around, I've been sticking to the systems which have many, many unique games that I know I enjoy. That's been working for me for the last few years. Perhaps it wouldn't work for your situation, but I thought I'd throw it out there for your consideration.

Either way, good luck with your decision and may your future be happier!

On the other hand, the stuff you know you can find, also won't gain you much cash either. Ten years down the road, slightly less common stuff will probably go up, while common stuff will only really go up if the whole generation of systems starts being seen as "antique" or something. The hard to find stuff will get you more money now, but be damn near impossible to replace as time goes on. I won't say it will necessairly become more valueable as time rolls on, especially with the mass move to a completely digital, and disposable society, there may not be much interest at all in the future, unfortunately, that also means the stuff is just going to be that much more hard to come by.

Honestly, I'd just hold onto it, if the games are really making you depressed, I could see getting rid of it....however, it could be just as likely, that you're depressed because you remember how you loved art, and are no longer interested in that instead. Selling your games and buying more art supplies could show you which it really is, but unless you know for absolute certain, you could find yourself more depressed and just trying to get back what you lost.

The only one who can really answer that is you, but a couple of things to consider....

1) when you have free time, what do you want to do (games or art)?

2) when you play games (or do art) do you find your self wishing you were doing art (or playing games) instead?

If you find yourself playing games, but wishing youwere doing art, you may have a problem with the games, if you don't think about it, you're probably fine....if you have free time and find yourself doing neither, maybe something else is the problem?

I have been horribly depressed (though no one would know it). The depression has for sure had a lot to do with my morbid fascination to collect as much as I can in such a short period of time.

Speed collecting is never the way to go, 99% of people who collect as fast as they can end up selling everything(myself included) set a video game budget with rules and stick to it. I now only collect aftermarket homebrew games (for any system) and I have X amount of dollars I spend on it.

So I guess my question is, what is your opinion of the market?

The classic video game market is always stable but not a good investment for long term, thats obvious

Do you think the demand and price of vintage consoles and games will rise over the next 10+ years, or do you think it will weaken, and would now be a decent time to abandon ship?

Acording to Homer, we will all be millionaires in the future. Seriously though, if you are trying to make money, invest it in something other than video games

If not, how long do you think I should hold on to it?

What time of year is best for selling?

That is the million dollar question.....

Unless you are in serious finacial trouble, just sell your stuff slowly as the demand is needed. Wait for you to have the only Fathom on Ebay, etc.. If you sell your stuff just as fast as you bought it, I am pretty sure you will loose money. Just my 2 cents :)

Is there a particular console -- or a few consoles -- which have games that you enjoy much more than the others?

What I was thinking of doing, was keeping one of my CV's, one 2600, one Inv console and getting multicarts, and ordering the FC mobile II and FC 16 GO from Stonage, and buying multicarts for those from RetroZone. That would full satisfy my fix I believe.

The only one who can really answer that is you, but a couple of things to consider....

1) when you have free time, what do you want to do (games or art)?

2) when you play games (or do art) do you find your self wishing you were doing art (or playing games) instead?

Art is my life, for sure. My problem is, I used to have a lot of time to make it (I was primary care giver for my sister for a while when she was having heart problems and was single with two kids.) then I got consumed with my relationship, job, and home, and have not figured out how to get into the swing of organizing my time and working on art just here are and there, but instead find myself playing classic games or sitting on ebay in my spare time. I think if I didn't have as large of a collection, I might be able to dedicate more time and space to that important aspect of my life.

That is the million dollar question.....

Unless you are in serious finacial trouble, just sell your stuff slowly as the demand is needed. Wait for you to have the only Fathom on Ebay, etc.. If you sell your stuff just as fast as you bought it, I am pretty sure you will loose money. Just my 2 cents :)

I have thought about that, but then, I have been EXTREMELY lucky at finding rare things for super low prices, and a few key things in my collection I know I could get quadruple what I paid for it (ie I got fathom intv complete and re-sealed for $7). I have been speed collecting for the past year, but still about a quarter of my collection was already mine from childhood.

Thanks for the insight everyone!

I have been speed collecting for the past year, but still about a quarter of my collection was already mine from childhood.

Never sell the games from your childhood, I would pay ten times the value of my original atari 2600 collection just to have it back with all the familier scuffs, initials, etc.. You can't buy that kind of nostalgia...

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Ransom's suggestions/thoughts.

I've been going through a very similar phase as you (OP) have been. Needing more focus, having the desire to spend more quality time with the consoles/computers I like the most, and not worrying about any of it at all when I'm not actually playing or otherwise spending time with my collection. I think I'm more-or-less out of actual collecting. I'm happy with what I've collected, and getting more doesn't do anything for me anymore the way it used to, excepting certain items that further my current goals as outlined below, e.g. multicarts and disk drive replacements. Maybe a box or manual here and there to fill out those collections.

What I have started to do as I go through everything again is to immediately put into a pile the stuff that I just don't need anymore. Duplicates (okay, I keep some dupe computers/consoles as backups), and anything that is sort of random that I know I will not be expanding on like a loose Color Computer I, random old printers, and a 520ST setup. Why have it if I won't use it in the future. Just that step has cleared out a lot of stuff and made me a lot more space. That is a really easy step, it's not very painful, and it can help you feel better right away and prepare you for the next steps.

Next, I've identified the consoles/computers that I will mostly focus on, and I've been obtaining programmable multicarts etc to be "finished" with that console/computer. The rest of the consoles that I still enjoy playing, but don't really "collect" for, I have split into ones I'm happy with emulating and ones I'm not happy with emulating. Emulation OK (in my case, Genesis/NES/SNES) = sell it all off. Emulation Not-OK = I will hold my physical collection for now until the emulation becomes acceptable to me (for myself, this is currently N64/DreamCast). This clears out a lot more space as well.

The last step for me will be the hardest, and that will be deciding whether to keep my 2600 carts/boxes/manuals collection. I will probably keep those as I'm sure I would regret selling them. But after taking all the other steps, I think I will be comfortable with keeping all that. I never got much into collecting boxes for any other system, so the 2600 stuff takes up the most space for me.

I agree 100%, don't sell anything from your childhood. You cannot ever replace those, and most of us who don't have any of that left would trade our entire collections for whatever we had back then.

Good luck! Most importantly, keep it fun. If it's not fun, it's not worth doing. And on that note, to be blunt, video game collecting is a stupid investment. Not to say you can't buy low/sell high sometimes (or even as a dealer), but to intentionally buy and hold as an investment hoping for eventual profit... that makes no sense at all. Keep investments and hobbies separate unless your hobby actually is serious investing. You will lose your $ in the long run on video games, just like with any other pseudo-investment.

What I was thinking of doing, was keeping one of my CV's, one 2600, one Inv console and getting multicarts, and ordering the FC mobile II and FC 16 GO from Stonage, and buying multicarts for those from RetroZone. That would full satisfy my fix I believe.

Those sound like good consoles to keep. Not a lot of crossover between them.

I often don't post in a thread, because you've already posted what I was going to say. It's scary sometimes. :P

Good luck! Most importantly, keep it fun. If it's not fun, it's not worth doing. And on that note, to be blunt, video game collecting is a stupid investment. Not to say you can't buy low/sell high sometimes (or even as a dealer), but to intentionally buy and hold as an investment hoping for eventual profit... that makes no sense at all. Keep investments and hobbies separate unless your hobby actually is serious investing. You will lose your $ in the long run on video games, just like with any other pseudo-investment.

Excellent advice. In my other life as a theme park junkie, I run into folks who think their Disney timeshare is an investment. As with games, it's an investment in your future enjoyment and nothing more.

I often don't post in a thread, because you've already posted what I was going to say. It's scary sometimes. :P

Yeah, sometimes I think you're my south-of-the-border alter-ego ;)

All of the gentlemen in this thread have very fine suggestions and their advice is solid. It all impinges upon why you're doing it. If you're doing it because you enjoy it? Great! If you don't enjoy it anymore, then maybe it's at least time to stop obsessively collecting so swiftly and instead focus on spending some 'quality time' with the consoles that you already have.

I am guilty of this -- in the past month I've acquired every single little bit of A8 stuff I can get my hands on. In terms of "investment" or "ooh, that's so cool" value for a collection I've gotten really lucky, but I definitely have tons of stuff just sitting on shelves that doesn't get used. What's the point of having it sitting on a shelf if you don't actually PLAY it? Are you (not you personally but any individual collecting as a "you") setting up some sort of personal museum or something?

Intent is the key here, and I'd say that the safest course of action would be to hold off on the collecting bug for a while. Don't sell anything, just don't buy anything. Focus your time on something else but don't potentially destroy something that causes you joy. Set an absolute set-in-stone amount of money you can spend on "collecting" -- say $50 a month or less, and see what you can do with it. You won't be out too much money and a big part of that collecting bug is the challenge of finding something rare for a great deal.

I know when I have found the 2-3 items that are UBERSUPERAWESOMECOOLRARE it literally causes my adrenaline to rush. That seems really nerdy, but it's cool opening up a box to realize you're likely the only person on the planet that has something. If I didn't have that feeling, I certainly wouldn't buy anything anymore. But I wouldn't throw any of it away or sell it off to someone else.

Basically I say just hang on to what you have and don't sell anything until you're 110% sure that's the course of action you want to proceed with.

Are you (not you personally but any individual collecting as a "you") setting up some sort of personal museum or something?

You know, thats actually what its like! Its a vintage gaming museum really. I always walk in and look at the famicom stuff in the curio cabinet, then the shelf with all the boxed intv stuff, then the shelf of A8 systems, then the tall rack of Nintendo systems lol. "Here we have a Sega Genesis model 1 with the Sega CD attachment and the Master System Powerbase Converter, and there we have the Genesis model 2 with the 32X."

I know when I have found the 2-3 items that are UBERSUPERAWESOMECOOLRARE it literally causes my adrenaline to rush. That seems really nerdy, but it's cool opening up a box to realize you're likely the only person on the planet that has something. If I didn't have that feeling, I certainly wouldn't buy anything anymore. But I wouldn't throw any of it away or sell it off to someone else.

I totally understand the rush. Whenever I see something uber rare with a low going price, or something I have been looking for that is extremely uncommon, and then I end up finding it at the flea market right after looking at one on the internet..its a huge adrenaline rush (and sometimes bad if there is an ATM near by lol)

But anyway, I will probably take your advice, and halt on the collecting for a while, and hold on to my stuff a while longer until I figure out what I really want to keep, and what I can afford to flip and not worry about regretting it too much.

I do know that I definitely want to get an FC 16 Go though! Ive been complaining that there should be a portable SNES since the first FC-Mobile was released!

Thanks

Here's a little story of myself and my collecting, encountering a similar situation. I had been collecting for about ten years, and I sold the majority of it in 2006. There was one point when I had over 45 systems and over 500+ games. Having started collecting in middle school, thanks to emulation and a new awareness that I could re-acquire those old systems I was born with, it all started because I loved games (it's all I really did), and I just wanted to play them. However, as I got older, the collecting portion really seeped in as I learned more about it and it turned into more of something like a crack addiction. Working in game stores for four years straight later on fueled the hobby more and I ended up buying things not because I wanted to play them, but because they looked nice and I wanted to add something else to the collection. It got to a point in early 2005 where I was racking up so much crap that I couldn't even focus on what to play anymore. I tried toning down my collection, selling loose items and focusing solely on complete games that I actually wanted to play, or would play at some point. It helped for a little while, but the hobby still kept getting stagnant, the charm was long-gone by that point, and after doing a lot of thinking, something snapped inside my head and I had to get rid of it all. That was in the first few months of '06, and by April/May that year I had gotten rid of most of it via eBay. I (at the time) thought/realized that it all didn't matter anymore, I wasn't going anywhere with my life and videogames were just getting in the way of leading any kind of healthy (or exciting) lifestyle. I guess you can rack up as much crap as you want, but then you die, and I've come to see that as a sad existence. Taking anything too far, really, games or not, can get in the way of more important things, whatever that may be to you. I couldn't really take it anymore though. I was, like you, much more depressed than not, and I also had a sudden urge at the time to get into something more creative. Years prior I had spent hundreds and hundreds of hours doing web design and light graphic design, because I enjoyed it. I took a couple year break and I wanted to get back into doing something creative again. I thought I had a knack for doing something similar, or at least, if I could teach myself to do something like web and graphic design, then I could teach myself anything that uses similar processes. So, like I stated, sold the majority of the collection and bought some music hardware instead. The games money went straight into my PayPal account, and that money went right into someone else's pocket on eBay, which was a great way to go about it.. No money in my hands, meaning all the money goes where it needs to. With that I started learning how to dj with newly-acquired pro-equipment, and that led into learning how to create music and sequence on a PC. It was a great investment, because not only am I doing something interesting and new, the music hardware doesn't typically drop in value, whereas a gaming collection more often than not, does. While I'm not always motivated now, I'm not constantly depressed like I used to be, and I can hold onto my money longer than I used to be able to. My mindset has changed and I really can't picture going back to how I was when my life revolved around games. It took me a while to get used to the change, but now that things are in motion, I can't go back, unless I hit a mid-life crisis or something. ;)

Now, with that little story out of the way, let me toss you a few recommendations or situations you may encounter: For one, if you make a decent paycheck, contemplate the idea of putting your collection (or whatever you decide to keep after selling) in storage. This will clear up a considerable amount of space in your home for other things, your wife could find ways to use it/store things, and the out-of-sight, out-of-mind philosophy really does work--You will be able to focus more on creative things, and when you finally get the bug to go back to hook up a system from storage, it will make it a lot more exciting than it would if you saw it in your closet every day. And you *WILL* get the bug. It just doesn't go away. Another reason I suggest this is because while in my case I don't regret selling my games, I do regret getting rid of all of my systems. I mean, I don't *regret* it--try not to have any regrets--I just sometimes wish I hadn't. The systems, complete, are getting harder and harder to find these days. The games, not so much--they can be had easily, and if you really just want to play them, so many can be emulated, copied, or bought cheap. So, unless whatever you're trying to get costs $10,000, it's best to just hold on to the units if you can. You will get a lot of money just from selling the games alone. Remember though, you _will_ get the gaming bug again, and it will probably be stronger than before, partially for the fact that after being away from collecting for a bit of time, videogames will all of a suddenly be *fun* to play again.. Their charm will come back. Rather than buying the systems back like I've been doing, it's better in the long run to hold on to them.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

You gotta be able to drop the controller and head out at a moment's notice. If you can't put the controller down, then the game is in charge of you, not the other way 'round. A game collection is the same way. I have a rather small collection (about 700 games) but I don't spend every waking minute with it. Most of the time I have perhaps 30 minutes to an hour a day I can comfortably spend gaming, so I don't think about the collection much.

Sometimes, though, it's nice to sit back and relax, paging through an old Intellivision catalog or something, or reading the instructions to Sega Rally or something like that. Heck, at the time I've got five minutes, and that's long enough to peruse a book or catalog. Or I might put the whole evening into a game.

I've told myself that there are certain things I will not purchase at least until a later date for one reason or another. I've also got a strict policy on duplicates--I don't keep them, and I don't purchase them for any reason unless I want a better label or want it for link play. Even if I think it's a steal, if I already have it, I don't buy it again.

Thirded on keeping childhood items, though.

Opinion.......DON'T SELL YOUR COLLECTION,you WILL regret it.Sure one can't live in fear of regret,selling would be more of a sacrifice,but still with, REGRET.Its up to you whether or not you can live with the decision to sell,one of life's little difficulties is to part with stuff,I'm like that myself with possessions.Unhealthy?could be,then extreme cases can turn into HOARDING,which is potentially dangerous to mental and physical health,luckily,i'm not at the hoarding stage.Stuff that's old,broken and useless gets tossed,thank god i'm a neat person,that helps from getting into the trap also

Edited by Rik

I also suggest you take some time to think, before you start selling anything.... Also mentioned, you need to have set priorities.. what systems/games do you spend the most time with? If you were on a deserted island (that had electricity :) ) what system would you want most? Take your time....

My .02 ...

Who needs electricity when you've got solar power and a handful truckload of good portables?

I have set some boundaries for collecting myself. I don't buy duplicates, i only collect consoles that where available in my country and don't come from import, i don't log into ebay or other sites so i can't get tempted. I try to avoid game stores as much as possible, and try to go at least as possible into 2de hand stores .

Also i have set myself a max time i want to spend on gaming so i have time left to be with my wife and son.

I have set some boundaries for collecting myself. I don't buy duplicates, i only collect consoles that where available in my country and don't come from import, i don't log into ebay or other sites so i can't get tempted. I try to avoid game stores as much as possible, and try to go at least as possible into 2de hand stores .

Also i have set myself a max time i want to spend on gaming so i have time left to be with my wife and son.

How do you collect without imports, ebay or game stores? Half the time you can find games 50% cheaper on ebay than you can in 2nd hand shops.

I don't buy japan or us release, nor do i buy european releases that come in non-english languages. I do go to game stores, but not that often since thing kinda stick to my hand. Never bought from ebay, here in the Netherlands we have marktplaats, and i try to buy local since i had a few bad deals. And because ebay and marktplaats are stuffed with nice thing i want, i only visit them when i have some cash that i can spend.

Really, the decision is between you an God. I know I am risky with the ban on religious posts, but so be it because it is the absolute truth. Evidently, you collected video games from the time you were a child. At some time, perhaps recently, you became somewhat obsessed (for lack of a better word) and decided to collect as much as you could as fast as you could. I am guessing from your wording that it has become somewhat of an unhealthy "addiction" for you at this point in your life. Now, what has led you to this decision, to sell it all off? Do you find that all your time and thoughts are spent on video gaming and collecting? Is it strapping your budget? Then, yes, this is unhealthy. However, also realize that everyone needs hobbies and interests in life, or it would be really boring. Is this decision coming from you but maybe really coming from a significant other? You know, like maybe your wife has stated some dislike for your video gaming and asked you to spend less time with this hobby and more time with her and the kids? OK, then take that as a sign that some reallocation of your time is necessary in your family and relationships. Maybe, just maybe, you keep all or most of your current collection and vow to put a hold on buying anything else, at least for the foreseeable future. Of course this takes real self discipline on your part, and again, only you and God know where you stand in that department. Or, as you have alluded to, maybe you go forward and sell it all off due to lack of restraint. Only question I would ask with that is how certain are you that your buying and collecting behavior would suddenly change, just because you have suddenly sold it all off. Ultimately, your depression and need to make changes in your life run deeper than these games and systems, and may well require some real soul-searching and prayer on your part. Having said that, if that room half full of gaming stuff is becoming too great a temptation and perhaps even a burden in your daily life, then by all means do what you feel the Lord leading you to do. If I truly felt God telling me to sell all my gaming stuff in order to spend my time on more "profitable" pursuits like art or what not, then by no means would I hold onto it for one more day, regardless of perceived difficulty of reacquiring it at a later time. Your health, and your family's overall well-being are much more important than any video games or systems. No amount of money can buy peace of mind.

Best wishes to you, and I hope you get past your depression soon.

Really, the decision is between you an God. I know I am risky with the ban on religious posts, but so be it because it is the absolute truth. Evidently, you collected video games from the time you were a child. At some time, perhaps recently, you became somewhat obsessed (for lack of a better word) and decided to collect as much as you could as fast as you could. I am guessing from your wording that it has become somewhat of an unhealthy "addiction" for you at this point in your life. Now, what has led you to this decision, to sell it all off? Do you find that all your time and thoughts are spent on video gaming and collecting? Is it strapping your budget? Then, yes, this is unhealthy. However, also realize that everyone needs hobbies and interests in life, or it would be really boring. Is this decision coming from you but maybe really coming from a significant other? You know, like maybe your wife has stated some dislike for your video gaming and asked you to spend less time with this hobby and more time with her and the kids? OK, then take that as a sign that some reallocation of your time is necessary in your family and relationships. Maybe, just maybe, you keep all or most of your current collection and vow to put a hold on buying anything else, at least for the foreseeable future. Of course this takes real self discipline on your part, and again, only you and God know where you stand in that department. Or, as you have alluded to, maybe you go forward and sell it all off due to lack of restraint. Only question I would ask with that is how certain are you that your buying and collecting behavior would suddenly change, just because you have suddenly sold it all off. Ultimately, your depression and need to make changes in your life run deeper than these games and systems, and may well require some real soul-searching and prayer on your part. Having said that, if that room half full of gaming stuff is becoming too great a temptation and perhaps even a burden in your daily life, then by all means do what you feel the Lord leading you to do. If I truly felt God telling me to sell all my gaming stuff in order to spend my time on more "profitable" pursuits like art or what not, then by no means would I hold onto it for one more day, regardless of perceived difficulty of reacquiring it at a later time. Your health, and your family's overall well-being are much more important than any video games or systems. No amount of money can buy peace of mind.

Best wishes to you, and I hope you get past your depression soon.

Paragraphs needed!!

• Like 1

At one time, I had 2600, 5200, 7800, jaguar, lynx, nes, snes, sms, genesis, saturn, playstation, dreamcast, xbox, n64, gamecube, c64, vic-20, ti994/a, gamegear, gameboy, tg16, 3do, intellivision, colecovision, and odyssey 2. Not to mention spare consoles and the games themselves. After awhile, I got burned out on collecting and I decided to simplify my collection. So I kept the 2600, c64, sms, genesis, saturn, xbox, gamegear, n64, & gamecube. Also sold games from systems I kept that I'd probably never play. That brought in enough $ to further my other life interests and free up some much needed room. The only one I've missed is the 5200 but I haven't missed the expense. I don't really buy games anymore but spend time playing the ones I love.

• Like 1