IGNORED

Gravis Gamepad on a Modern PC

I was digging through my closet and found an original 1992 Gravis Gamepad. Sweet! This thing looks just like a SNES controller and I would love to use it for some emulating goodness.

Of course, here's the problem.....GAME PORT! Modern PCs only have PS2/USB, so monkey cannot hook it up. It's a 15-pin game port male end. Does anyone know of any sort of 15-pin to USB adapter out there? I tried searching but apparently my brain doesn't comprehend how to find it, and if I can't do that, that certainly means I can't cut open the wire and re-wire it.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it, just had to search DB15. Duh.

I have 2 of those controllers. One was my original PC gamepad from back around 92, and the second is a minty one I found in a thrift store a few years back. Gravis made good quality controllers and joysticks, and this one definitely does not feel cheap when you use it. Later, I think the quality of their stuff went downhill, as the gamepad that copies the form factor of the PSX controller feels much cheaper.

Chris

Radio Shack did, at one point, sell a gameport-to-USB adapter. A couple years back, I found a couple of these adapters in a less-trafficked location -- since they were discontinued and no longer in the system, the manager just let me have them. I don't know how well it would have worked with a digital gamepad, though, as its packaging stated it was intended for analog steering wheels and joysticks. (Would the adapter know the difference? I seriously doubt it.) I haven't tried it yet -- for the life of me, I can't remember where I put them amongst all my other computer gear. But it wouldn't hurt to look for some at your local Rat Shack and give it a try.

Edited by DrLove0378

The common adaptors simply work with a limited number of common layputs, like 2-axis 2-button joysticks, wheel/pedals, or 4-button gamepads, not more complex ones like later joysticks and gamepads. (I don't think even the "better" expensive adaptors are particularly versitile either) Plus there are passthough adaptors for use with late model gameport joysticks with built-in USB support via the midi pins.

I'd love to use my Gravix Xterminator via USB, but I can't ... (there were late models that supported USB, but those are had to come by) Damn I wish Gravis was still making joysticks. (I wouldn't mind using my old MS Sidewinder pad either) Thrustmaster, Logitech, and Microsoft have some decent pads, but nothing as amazingly versitile as the Xterminator. :( (logitech's extreme 3D pro joystick is pretty awesome though)

I think I know the Gravis pad he's talking about. They were pretty standard back then, no more than four buttons. Colored buttons, floating d-pad. They even had the screw hole where you could insert a mini joystick, ala the Master System pads. They had a great feel though, I always wanted one. Found one in a thrift shop a month or two ago actually, but passed on it for this same reason. It never even crossed my mind once to think that there may be converters for these things.

Anyways, here's a converter I found. Not in the US apparently, but still, they're out there:

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-to-15-Pin-Joystick-Gameport-Converter-Adaptor-Cable_W0QQitemZ270508471165QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Video_Game_Accessories?hash=item3efb8fb37d

Edited by Austin