Photo

Harmony Cartridge Compatible with Flashback 2 Mod?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Havok69 OFFLINE  

Havok69

Dragonstomper

• 903 posts

Posted Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:53 PM

So I'll be ordering a Harmony cartridge once I recover from my Christmas expenditures. I have a light sixer and a Flashback 2. Originally, I was not going to bother modding the FB2 to accept cartridges. However, now with the Harmony cart, I am reconsidering this. I'd have the advantage of AV outputs and modern hardware that will theoretically last much longer than my original 2600.

However, I know that some games do not work on the modded FB2; for instance Star Raiders.(or at least the pad doesn't work) Since this is the case, I was just wondering if the Harmony cartridge is compatible with a modded FB2.

Does anyone out there have a modded FB2 and the Harmony cart? If so, does the Harmony cart work with it? Since that is the only reason I would bother modifying the Flashback, I'd appreciate it if someone out there would be able to confirm this and potentially save me the hassle.

Thanks!

Edited by Havok69, Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:06 PM.

#2 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash

• 18,588 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:00 PM

Harmony's hardware and software is tailored to the original Atari hardware, and the Flashback is known to be not 100% compatible.

So before anyone successfully tested it, I would heavily doubt it will work.

#3 Herbarius OFFLINE  

Herbarius

Dragonstomper

• 757 posts

Posted Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:03 PM

It could be the Harmony Cart just works like normal, but those games which usually don't work with a modded FB2 won't work if put on the Harmony Cart, either...

But, like Thomas Jentzsch said, before someone tested it, you can't tell.

#4 RevEng ONLINE  

RevEng

River Patroller

• 3,151 posts
  • bit player

Posted Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:13 PM

batari has already stated that the Harmony menu software will not work in an FB2, due to the FB2 missing an "undocumented" opcode.

He also mentioned that it theoretically could be "fixed" in a future rev, but its not a priority at the moment.

#5 Havok69 OFFLINE  

Havok69

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 903 posts

Posted Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:14 PM

Whoops - didn't realize there was a separate forum for Flashback. And looks like I found my answer: No.

http://www.atariage....7

So, time to mod the original 2600 for AV instead!

Edited by Havok69, Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:16 PM.

#6 player 0ne OFFLINE  

player 0ne

Chopper Commander

• 160 posts
  • apprentice repair tech

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:47 PM

ok, i havent read the OTHER thread yet..
but i modded my FB2 with a cart port, and the menu on my harmony cart works. ide say about half the roms i have work, and the other half dont, no matter what bankswitch extension i rename to. i think i may have read about this (here on atariage) before i got my harmony...

#7 ComputerSpaceFan OFFLINE  

ComputerSpaceFan

Stargunner

• 1,605 posts

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:04 PM

ok, i havent read the OTHER thread yet..
but i modded my FB2 with a cart port, and the menu on my harmony cart works. ide say about half the roms i have work, and the other half dont, no matter what bankswitch extension i rename to. i think i may have read about this (here on atariage) before i got my harmony...

I have a Harmony cart and a modded FB2 and the success rate for working roms is much higher for me. Way more than half work, I'd say 99% work. Plus some roms (like H.E.R.O.) that are not supposed to work in a FB2 actually do work via the Harmony so I'm thrilled.

Unfortunately all is not rosey. Frantic will not work. (sad face)

#8 keilbaca OFFLINE  

keilbaca

Fight like a robot!

• 7,483 posts
  • Berzerk (Atari 2600) champ

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:08 PM

It all depends on the model of the FB2. I have a Rev. A, and I didn't cart mod it because it was one of the first versions that didn't work with voice, with Quadrun.

You might have a revision A. :)

#9 player 0ne OFFLINE  

player 0ne

Chopper Commander

• 160 posts
  • apprentice repair tech

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:22 PM

did we all get our rom files from the same place? here on the atariage forum? Im gonna hafta separate the roms that work and make a collection of them, unless someone else did?

#10 bombidragon OFFLINE  

bombidragon

Chopper Commander

• 132 posts

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:06 AM

Has anyone figured this out yet? I am really wondering if this will work. If anything I can just put a cartridge slot on mine.

#11 batari OFFLINE  

batari

)66]U('=I;B$*

• 6,454 posts
  • begin 644 contest

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:14 PM

Yes, Harmony does work with a modded FB2, but not all games will play (due to the FB2 hardware itself, not the Harmony.)

#12 bombidragon OFFLINE  

bombidragon

Chopper Commander

• 132 posts

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:28 PM

Like 90% compatibility or like 30%. Sorry to bother everyone but I really would like to know before I dive in!

#13 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

• 18,588 posts

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:02 AM

AFAIK about 99% for old games and below 50% for modern homebrews.

#14 bombidragon OFFLINE  

bombidragon

Chopper Commander

• 132 posts

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:54 AM

Hmm Maybe this might happen. I heard there are multiple revisions and some are better than others, Any info?

#15 theloon OFFLINE  

theloon

Quadrunner

• 6,946 posts

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:59 AM

Like 90% compatibility or like 30%. Sorry to bother everyone but I really would like to know before I dive in!

The FB2 does not handle certain instructions in a fully compatible way. You'd literally have to scan through each game and identify whether it has those unsupported instructions. A safe bet is a real 2600 suffice to say.

#16 bombidragon OFFLINE  

bombidragon

Chopper Commander

• 132 posts

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:15 AM

Has anyone documented compatitbility? I really want to know before I drop all of the money

#17 theloon OFFLINE  

theloon

Quadrunner

• 6,946 posts

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:18 AM

Has anyone documented compatitbility? I really want to know before I drop all of the money

yep.

#18 bombidragon OFFLINE  

bombidragon

Chopper Commander

• 132 posts

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:23 AM

I looked at this list. Does compatibility go up with the Harmony Cart?

#19 Omegamatrix OFFLINE  

Omegamatrix

Quadrunner

• 5,460 posts

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:42 PM

I looked at this list. Does compatibility go up with the Harmony Cart?

Nope, as the harmony has nothing to do with compatibility for the FB2. The problems with compatibility are strictly on the FB2 side.

#20 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

• 18,588 posts

Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:36 AM

The problems with compatibility are strictly on the FB2 side.

That's because the FB2 chip was designed and tested to work with the FB2 games.

And in the end, some smartass made some "fixes" to what looked like bugs to him. He removed the HMOVE blanks, which are needed by many (e.g. Activision) games to hide objects. This was fixed in Flashback Rev C. Still it lacks support for all "illegal" opcodes, some are used by modern homebrews.

#21 bombidragon OFFLINE  

bombidragon

Chopper Commander

• 132 posts

Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:53 AM

That's because the FB2 chip was designed and tested to work with the FB2 games.

And in the end, some smartass made some "fixes" to what looked like bugs to him. He removed the HMOVE blanks, which are needed by many (e.g. Activision) games to hide objects. This was fixed in Flashback Rev C. Still it lacks support for all "illegal" opcodes, some are used by modern homebrews.

So is the revision number on the board?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users