IGNORED

Harmony Cartridge Compatible with Flashback 2 Mod?

Havok69

So I'll be ordering a Harmony cartridge once I recover from my Christmas expenditures. I have a light sixer and a Flashback 2. Originally, I was not going to bother modding the FB2 to accept cartridges. However, now with the Harmony cart, I am reconsidering this. I'd have the advantage of AV outputs and modern hardware that will theoretically last much longer than my original 2600.

However, I know that some games do not work on the modded FB2; for instance Star Raiders.(or at least the pad doesn't work) Since this is the case, I was just wondering if the Harmony cartridge is compatible with a modded FB2.

Does anyone out there have a modded FB2 and the Harmony cart? If so, does the Harmony cart work with it? Since that is the only reason I would bother modifying the Flashback, I'd appreciate it if someone out there would be able to confirm this and potentially save me the hassle.

Thanks!

Edited by Havok69

Whoops - didn't realize there was a separate forum for Flashback. And looks like I found my answer: No.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/150596-harmony-to-be-released-at-portland-retrogaming-expo/page__p__1844117entry1844117

So, time to mod the original 2600 for AV instead!

Edited by Havok69

• 1 year later...

ok, i havent read the OTHER thread yet..

but i modded my FB2 with a cart port, and the menu on my harmony cart works. ide say about half the roms i have work, and the other half dont, no matter what bankswitch extension i rename to. i think i may have read about this (here on atariage) before i got my harmony...

ok, i havent read the OTHER thread yet..

but i modded my FB2 with a cart port, and the menu on my harmony cart works. ide say about half the roms i have work, and the other half dont, no matter what bankswitch extension i rename to. i think i may have read about this (here on atariage) before i got my harmony...

I have a Harmony cart and a modded FB2 and the success rate for working roms is much higher for me. Way more than half work, I'd say 99% work. Plus some roms (like H.E.R.O.) that are not supposed to work in a FB2 actually do work via the Harmony so I'm thrilled.

Unfortunately all is not rosey. Frantic will not work. (sad face)

• 1 year later...

Like 90% compatibility or like 30%. Sorry to bother everyone but I really would like to know before I dive in!

The FB2 does not handle certain instructions in a fully compatible way. You'd literally have to scan through each game and identify whether it has those unsupported instructions. A safe bet is a real 2600 suffice to say.

The problems with compatibility are strictly on the FB2 side.

That's because the FB2 chip was designed and tested to work with the FB2 games.

And in the end, some smartass made some "fixes" to what looked like bugs to him. He removed the HMOVE blanks, which are needed by many (e.g. Activision) games to hide objects. This was fixed in Flashback Rev C. Still it lacks support for all "illegal" opcodes, some are used by modern homebrews.

That's because the FB2 chip was designed and tested to work with the FB2 games.

And in the end, some smartass made some "fixes" to what looked like bugs to him. He removed the HMOVE blanks, which are needed by many (e.g. Activision) games to hide objects. This was fixed in Flashback Rev C. Still it lacks support for all "illegal" opcodes, some are used by modern homebrews.

So is the revision number on the board?

• 2 years later...

So is the revision number on the board?

This is an old post, and the question has been answered elsewhere, so I don't know if my replying is helpful.

But anyway, what people refer to as "Rev C" can be identified by playing Quadrun. If you hear the voice saying "Quadrun Quadrun Quadrun" on startup, then you have "Rev C". Otherwise it's older.

• 2 weeks later...