Photo

Elite 3D graphics

89 replies to this topic

#76 Sdw OFFLINE  

Sdw

Star Raider

• 71 posts

Posted Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:28 PM

Wow, this is some seriously impressive stuff!

Is there any binaries of the fixed versions (PAL) released? I get the bankswitch-bug-bars that Glenn mentioned when I run them on my 2600Jr with a Harmony.

#77 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash

• Topic Starter
  • 18,577 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:24 AM

Wow, this is some seriously impressive stuff!

Is there any binaries of the fixed versions (PAL) released? I get the bankswitch-bug-bars that Glenn mentioned when I run them on my 2600Jr with a Harmony.

Thanks. I will check for the bars when I get home from vacation.

#78 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

• Topic Starter
  • 18,577 posts

Posted Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:59 AM

Attached a demo version which I had sitting on my harddisk for quite some time without releasing it. It automatically (left difficulty switch = A) or selectable (left difficulty switch = B, SELECT) showcases nine ships and displays a (fixed!) status display. I hope you like it.

Make sure you have phospor effects enabled when using an emulator.

BTW: I couldn't repeat those Jr. problems with my own Jr. If they still occure, please tell me (screenshot preferred).

Attached Thumbnails

• Elite Demo v1.0 (NTSC).bin.png

Attached Files

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch, Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:06 AM.

#79 Cortat G OFFLINE  

Cortat G

Dragonstomper

• 696 posts
  • Minor lacerations detected.

Posted Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:52 PM

Amazing!

#80 cd-w OFFLINE  

cd-w

Stargunner

• 1,246 posts
  • Juno First!

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:37 AM

Very nice work - it would be great to see this made into the full game, but I suspect that isn't possible without some ARM assistance.

Chris

#81 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

• Topic Starter
  • 18,577 posts

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:29 AM

Very nice work - it would be great to see this made into the full game, but I suspect that isn't possible without some ARM assistance.

Yes, I suppose the ARM could help with the kernel, the transformations, the line drawing etc.

But I am not interested into coding that, I like to optimize the existing platform. The maximum I could personally accept would be the DPC functionality, since it was available back then. Not sure if that could be of any help outside the kernel.

#82 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

• Topic Starter
  • 18,577 posts

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:56 AM

Hm, I wonder if a "real" 3D Asteroids would work. Like a FPS, just with Asteroids and UFOs attacking from all directions. :ponder:

Does such a game exist?

#83 roland p ONLINE  

roland p

Stargunner

• 1,779 posts
  • RLA

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:15 AM

Hm, I wonder if a "real" 3D Asteroids would work. Like a FPS, just with Asteroids and UFOs attacking from all directions. :ponder:

Does such a game exist?

Maybe alianator comes close? : http://www.lemonamig...ils.php?id=1609 That's a sort of 3d-defender.

Btw. the demo you posted looks really good. How many divisions/multiplies does the code? It looks damn fast for a vcs...

Edited by roland p, Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:18 AM.

#84 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

• Topic Starter
  • 18,577 posts

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:41 AM

Hm, I wonder if a "real" 3D Asteroids would work. Like a FPS, just with Asteroids and UFOs attacking from all directions. :ponder: Does such a game exist?

Maybe alianator comes close? : http://www.lemonamig...ils.php?id=1609 That's a sort of 3d-defender.

Thanks, I will check it.

Btw. the demo you posted looks really good. How many divisions/multiplies does the code? It looks damn fast for a vcs...

Quite a lot. :)

All multiplications (IIRC there are no divisions) are done using square-tables, so they are pretty fast. How detailed do you want to have it? I have to transform all points and have to check the visibility of each polygon.

Note: For the polygon visibility I once switched to using a predefined normal vector, but I found out that this wouldn't work in a real 3D world. So I would have to create the normal vector from 3 transformed points of the polygon. Which means a few optimizing steps wouldn't work there anymore.

Also the math precision is currently very limited, so here it would become more complex too. And the step which transitions a whole object in space is missing too.

Finally all lines are assumed to be completely visible now. So no clipping and only backface culling

So for a real 3D game, this part would for sure become significantly slower and I would have to find some time somewhere else e.g. less complicated bankswitching (I need two double buffers of 1k each, but here I have to use one 1K buffer and four 256b buffers), co-processor etc.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch, Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:48 AM.

#85 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

• Topic Starter
  • 18,577 posts

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:49 PM

I just checked the code. There are 12 multiplications/point plus 3 multiplications/polygon.

#86 Sdw OFFLINE  

Sdw

Star Raider

• 71 posts

Posted Thu Feb 9, 2012 5:08 PM

Latest version ran perfectly on my PAL jr.
Great seeing it actually running on real HW, the alternating line-display actually suits vector graphics very well!

#87 Philsan OFFLINE  

Philsan

River Patroller

• 2,700 posts
  • New Orleans Saints Super Bowl XLIV Champions

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:06 AM

Thomas, now you have more time for this project...

#88 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

• Topic Starter
  • 18,577 posts

Posted Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:41 AM

Thomas, now you have more time for this project...

Maybe, but first I have to support another, long overdue project.

#89 LS_Dracon OFFLINE  

LS_Dracon

Dragonstomper

• 524 posts

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014 5:11 PM

Sorry the bump, I was playing with these demos, and wondering to know, with techniques for update 9 or more sprite rows at 30hz and melody technology (DPC+, lot of RAM) we can see these beautiful ships in large screen resolution running at 60 fps?

(Rhetorical question)

#90 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

• Topic Starter
  • 18,577 posts

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014 6:09 PM

I don't think 60Hz are possible. But of course the use of an ARM CPU would offer a lot of extra potential (see Space Rocks and Stay Frosty 2).

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users