IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2010 (Season 3)

cvga

Times for Friday - Sunday:

Atari 2600:

Crazy Climber - 4 min.

Odyssey^2:

KC's Crazy Chase - 2 min.

Intellivision:

AD&D: Cloudy Mountain - 5 min.

Bowling - 25 min.

Centipede - 5 min.

Championship Tennis - 30 min.

Dragonfire - 3 min.

Frog Bog - 7 min.

Horse Racing - 45 min.

Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack - 20 min.

Night Stalker - 17 min.

River Raid - 2 min.

Stampede - 3 min.

Triple Action - 6 min.

World Championship Baseball - 7 min.

Zaxxon - 4 min.

NES:

Adventure Island II - 5 min.

Mike Tyson's Intergalactic Power Punch - 3 min.

SNES:

Art of Fighting - 34 min.

• Like 1

Here are my times for the PAST week (September 27th through October 3rd). I know I'm very late this time, but I didn't play any classic games for the past week, so there is no hurry to tally up the times correctly since they don't count anyway. Here goes...

Global Player Reloaded (Online)... 103 minutes in 2 sessions

Robot wants fish (Online)... 84 minutes

Robot wants ice cream (Online)... 81 minutes

Bubble Shooter (Online)... 56 minutes

Global Player (Online)... 44 minutes in 2 sessions

Pacman (Online)... 25 minutes

Mazda Burning Gears (PC)... 20 minutes

Hawaiian runner (Online)... 3 minutes

The Transporter (Online)... 2 minutes

I already told you about Global Player last week. There is also a sequel called Global Player Reloaded which adds some game elements like bridges, overpasses which change the box's colors and teleporters. It also adds level codes, letting you restart at the level you failed on. The time limit doesn't seem to be as hard as in Global Player, and your boxes move slower although they still come out at the same rate, so in the end there's more of them on screen at once which you have to watch... and it's more confusing with all the added game elements. Therefore you will likely make much more errors than in Global Player, but since the time limit is more forgiving, you might still solve all 10 levels of the game... which I did. After that I also solved Global Player with all its 10 levels.

"Robot wants fish" and "Robot wants ice cream" are two more parts of a series where I already played the first two parts of, called "Robot wants kitten" and "Robot wants puppy". Both of them are basically jump'n'run games in one giant level which isn't fully accessible from the start. You can reach certain places only after having collected powerups which give you the power to fly, shoot and do other things. The basic game structure is the same in both games - you control the robot and have to get to the final goal by basically collecting the powers to get there. But the maze and the enemies you face in it are nearly entirely different, as are the power-ups you get.

Bubble Shooter is one of many Puzzle Bobble clones which is actually badly programmed, in my opinion. The bubbles come down after you make a certain number of moves WITHOUT scoring, which decreases from 5 down to 1 with each line, but then goes back up to 5. When things come down, they don't get replaced by a solid wall on top like in the original, but by another row of bubbles. So you basically get an endless game in that it's pretty much impossible to clear the top row, because if you managed to clear most of the screen, you have to build your last combos by making moves without scoring, which in turn causes more bubbles to appear. When the bubbles move down one row, they change position relative to each other, so a chain you might have been building up is likely not to work anymore after that. Sometimes due to that move, some bubbles become free and drop down (or simply pop, as they do in this version).

Pacman is a flash version of Namco's arcade game, but it's missing the intermissions, and the extra life structure is different in that you get one extra life at 10,000 points, and then another one every 20,000 points thereafter (at 30,000, 50,000 and so on), which gives a bit of additional motivation over the original version which only gives you an extra life once (at 10,000 points) and never again. But it's flash, so the framerate is a bit low (I'd guess about 15 fps).

Mazda Burning Gears is a racing game in the capital of Vienna. I think I already told you about this... meanwhile two tracks are available in it, and a third one is planned to get added over the next weeks.

Hawaiian runner is a side-scrolling racing game in the style of Stunt Cycle (or Excitebike, but it's strictly 2D), and The Transporter is a racing game which, sadly, is set on a static drawn, perfectly straight road where only the obstacles move over it. Those two games were not very motivating for me to continue playing.

• Like 1

NES:

Batman: 2 hours (just got it yesterday, its great!)

It is a great game and one of my favorites on the system. This is one of the games I will crank the volume on because the music just rocks.

I assume you have Ninja Gaiden? If not be sure to pick that one up. Yet another game that's just a blast to play with awesome music.

• Like 1

This is what I have played in the last week:

Sega Saturn

Digital Pinball - 1 Hour

Worms - 2 Hours

Tetris Plus - 30 Minutes

Baku Baku - 30 Minutes

Sega Mega-CD

Wolfchild - 30 Minutes

Wonderdog - 10 Minutes

FIFA International Soccer - 20 Minutes

Atari Lynx

Lynx Poker - 15 Minutes

Sega Megadrive

Worms - 20 Minutes

WWF Wrestlemania - 20 Minutes

Atari Jaguar

Zool 2 - 1 Hour

Edited by The_Laird
  • Like 1

Here are my times for this past week (October 4th through 10th)...

The classic game (eligible for the Top 10, if they ever get added up again):

Phoenix (Arcade) 7 minutes

The non-classic games (non-eligible for the Top 10):

Spaze Birdz (PC) 239 minutes in 5 sessions

Youda Sushi Chef (Online) 42

Mazda Burning Gears (PC) 29

Google Image Labeler (Online) 22

Diner City (Online) 20

Firecommander (Online) 3

Fire Attack on house (Online) 2

Boki Boki! (Online) 2

I think I already told you about Space Birdz. This is still a game I'm enjoying, and I haven't grown tired of it yet. Since it's heavily inspired by Phoenix, I briefly went to play the arcade original of Phoenix, which indeed is similar, but didn't catch my attention for too long since it seems to be a lot harder in places... especially the master ship which throws a LOT of bombs at you once you get in the middle to attack it directly.

Youda Sushi Chef is a game where you are the cook in a Sushi restaurant and have to put together various forms of Sushi by clicking on the ingredients and then on the roll. Oh, and you also have to reorder ingredients, take away empty plates from customers and take care of deliveries and reservations.

Mazda Burning Gears is a racing game I already told you about. I replayed it because a second track has been added this Monday.

Google Image labeler is not really a game, but you get a score for labeling various pictures together with a partner you can't see. You get a score for the first label you and your partner have in common. The more pictures you manage to label in 2 minutes, the more points you get.

Diner City is a game where you can decorate the exterior of a restaurant, buy newspaper and ice cream stands to surround it, put benches outside it etc. It's actually a bit illogical.

Firecommander and Fire on house are both games by the same author where you have to fight a fire and put it out in the shortest time possible by strategically placing fire trucks and hoses and tieing together the trucks, hydrants and firemen with various hoses.

Boki Boki! is a puzzle game where you have to direct cute animals towards a goal by placing various objects in their path in order to redirect them.

• Like 2

Times for the week:

Arcade:

Dig Dug - 2 min.

Galaga - 3 min.

Intellivision:

Auto Racing - 5 min.

Boxing - 12 min.

Chess - 375 min.

Defender - 2 min.

Golf - 40 min.

Nova Blast - 8 min.

Pac-Man - 3 min.

Stampede - 4 min.

Swords and Serpents - 12 min.

Zaxxon - 10 min.

Tandy CoCo:

Dungeons of Daggorath - 60 min.

Sega Master System:

Toto World 3 - 50 min.

PlayStation:

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - 490 min.

Game Boy:

Tetris - 4 min.

Played a lot of Intellivision this week, but the Chess time may be deceptive, as most of it was spent doing other things while I waited for the Inty to choose its next move. I posted about our game here; the highest difficulty setting, Level 6, is next on my hit list.

Also sank a couple evenings into Abe's Oddysee. Absolutely beautiful game, but the save system is justly criticized -- not so much because there aren't enough save points, but because it's just not clear when you've "completed" one of the hidden areas. Finding out that you need to redo a particularly tricky puzzle is a very unpleasant surprise.

Speaking of unpleasant surprises, I discovered that my CoCo 3 has mysteriously croaked. :sad: I also have a CoCo 2, though that has its share of problems; testing that machine led to an hour-long session of Dungeons of Daggorath. I did quite well for a while, but got careless when fighting the Wizard's Image, and paid the price. What a magnificent game it is: so easy to get sucked in, and so nerve-wracking.

Finally, I beat the Korean unlicensed title Toto World 3, but via emulation with plenty of savestates. It's not a difficult game, though, so I'll give it a spin on my Everdrive to beat it legitimately. For an unlicensed game, it's not too shabby at all, though the music is a complete disaster -- something went very wrong in Levels 2 and 3, and the different layers/loops are completely out of sync.

BTW I don't have time to do it right now, but maybe someone could tabulate the weekly totals for the past 12-14 weeks? It won't solve the problem of tracking the global stats, but at least it's something, and will make it less discouraging for whomever picks up the task.

• Like 1

Here are my times for this week (October 11th through 17th)...

A bit less gaming than usual because I had some other things to do... the Internet radio station I'm a DJ at is closing in a few hours, but is to be replaced by another station which I helped building up.

The classic games (eligible for the Top 10):

Phoenix (Arcade): 25 minutes

Turtles (Arcade): 29 minutes

The non-classic games (non-eligible for the Top 10):

Space birdz (PC): 115 minutes in 3 sessions

Nanopath (Online): 17 minutes

Ebul (Online): 33 minutes

The main game I played was, again, Space Birdz. Other than that, I tried two online games. Nanopath is a game where you have to lay a path for a capsule to conquer mazes which get harder and harder, eventually adding fixed and moving obstacles and switches you have to roll over in order to releave various areas. And in later levels, there are also multiple capsule to take care of, and colliding is not allowed.

Ebul is a kind of jump'n'Run game starring a dragon. The problem is, the dragon only has rather limited jumping ability, and is unable to reach the things you have to collect in each level unless you change the backgroud. You do this by clicking on a block which then gets eyes and legs and can be controlled itself while the dragon waits. The blocks can jump much higher than the dragon and even double jump, and you have to send them to the place you want them to be in, and then press space to lock them in, at which point, the block gets fixed, and you control the dragon again, which may now jump or run on the newly-built block in order to reach those collectables. Later levels add flying blocks and evil blocks which eat the dragon on collision.

As for classic games, I tried Phoenix again, this time with a bit more success (I at least managed to beat the first mother ship). I found out that if you stay in place for some seconds with your ship, enemies will fire some shots at you, but if you leave your place before about two seconds elapse, they won't do that, but will only drop not-so-well targeted bombs. An interesting fact I didn't notice before is that Phoenix was originally created by Amstar Electronics, located in Phoenix, Arizona. So you can somehow see it as a hommage to their hometown.

Then I replayed Turtles, but not for too long. I quit that game after having reached the 6th floor in a 10-minute game.

This weekend I played the following:

Sega Saturn

True Pinball - 30 Minutes

Worms - 1 Hour

Digital Pinball - 1 Hour

Sega Mega-CD

FIFA Soccer - 10 Minutes

Novastorm - 10 minutes

Silpheed - 15 Minutes

Sega Megadrive

Dynamite Headdy - 20 Minutes

X-Men - 30 Minutes

• Like 1

Times for the week:

Odyssey^2:

Breakdown/Blockout - 10 min.

Chinese Logic - 15 min.

Clay Pigeon - 2 min.

Dynasty - 5 min.

Electronic Table Soccer - 9 min.

Labyrinth Game/Supermind - 15 min.

Matchmaker/Logix/Buzzword - 12 min.

Math-a-Magic/Echo - 8 min.

Monkeyshines - 3 min.

Morse - 25 min.

Mr. Roboto - 13 min.

Pachinko - 7 min.

Pocket Billiards - 6 min.

Power Lords - 4 min.

Q*bert - 5 min.

Showdown in 2300 A.D. - 5 min.

Smithereens - 16 min.

Super Cobra - 3 min.

The Mousing Cat - 4 min.

Tutankham - 5 min.

War of Nerves - 3 min.

Intellivision:

Chip Shot Super Pro Golf - 25 min.

Bump 'n' Jump - 7 min.

Arcade:

Galaga - 12 min.

Game Boy:

Tetris - 20 min.

Game Gear:

Chuck Rock - 3 min.

Sega Game Pack 4 in 1 - 75 min.

I also played some GameCube games (Metroid Prime, Super Monkey Ball 2) that wouldn't count towards the weekly total.

Spent some time with my Odyssey^2 multicart. Frankly a lot of the games are uninvolving, but Smitheerens is as good as ever, and Tutankham is a surprisingly good port. I'd like to check out Clay Pigeon some more, as that game has a great sense of humor. I also like Mr. Roboto and Breakdown/Blockout, but I don't think my girlfriend's so keen on either of them (she prefers Smithereens, where she beat me once again albeit only by a whisker).

BTW that Sega Game Pack 4 in 1 has a terrific little tennis game in it! It's bizarre that they never did anything else with such a good engine.

Edited by thegoldenband