IGNORED

The Great Halloween Contest!

StanJr

That's right! Its time yet again for ol' Stan to reach into his surplus cart box and pull out another great giveaway! This time, in light of the recent Unholiday, we are going Halloween on this one. The Treat for this Trick is Activision's GHOSTBUSTERS! How do you win this tasty treat? Simple, some Halloween-esque trivia must be correctly answered.

So what's the trick? You get two questions per day, until Halloween. In order to score, you MUST have BOTH questions correct for each day. The FIRST person to post BOTH correct answers for the day wins that day. You may NOT go back and provide answers for previous day's questions once new questions have been posted. All you have to do to secure your prize is win two days, but in the event of 3 different daily winners there shall be a final run-off event. (details on that should it arise)

Questions shall be posted each day between 5pm and 1159pm EST each day (except for today: Tuesday) I will announce each day's winner along with the new pair of questions. This contest is open to EVERYONE (who needs a Ghostbuster's cart), one entry per day per person, so you better be sure. In the event that there are NO winners, I keep the cart myself and mock you until next year. :P

If there are any questions about the rules or regulations, PM me. Do NOT expect any help or hints.

Here are the 2 questions for Tuesday October 29:

What is the original name for the Celtic Holiday from which Halloween is derived?

In 1921 a certain town in Minnesota celebrated the FIRST yearly city-wide Halloween celebration. What is the name of that town?

Good luck to everyone and I'll be back tomorrow eve with the questions for Wednesday. :) :) :) :) :)

Samhain, .

heh they have a creature named this in the online game Everquest

Its in the Plane of FEAR, and its a Scarecrow with a Pumpkin head and the Eyes and mouth shootout orange light and it laughs when it attacks

And everything in FEAR is UNDEAD :)

i think i might have a pic of it, yup i do but its not the best

post-541-1035879977_thumb.jpg

Ok, new questions for you people.

Of course oesii took the first day easily. The questions were no brainers and if you had to Google them, shame on you! :P :P

Now,

1. Of the 40+ Presidents of the United States, only a handful were born in the month of October, and ONLY 1 of them born near Halloween. List the presidents born in October, and identify which President was born almost on Halloween.

2. In 1938 Orson Welles set the United States in a panic the night before Halloween with his brilliantly irresponsible "War of the Worlds" broadcast. The broadcast interrupted the musical stylings of a certain musician of the day who was performing live in New York City. Name the musician and where he was playing that night.

So now at least if you Google THOSE you'll have to do some work! :P

DO NOT expect to get off so easy tomorrow night. :x

Jimmy Carter: Oct 1, 1924

Rutherford Hayes: Oct 4, 1822

Chester Arthur: Oct 5, 1830

Teddy Roosevelt: Oct 27, 1858

Dwight Eisenhower: Oct 14, 1890

near Halloween: John Adams: Oct 30, 1735

War of the Worlds musician: Ramon Raquello and his orchestra

live from the Meridian Room at the Park Plaza in New York City

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You people are too smart for your own good. Technically, Linkovitch, while he had the right answers failed to post the list of all the presidents born in October.

HOWEVER, since oesii is such a smarty pants, :P , I reserve the right, as contest miester, to extend the contest to a third and final round of questions. I am throwing out the points for today's question (sorry oesii, but your first day's win is still valid don't sweat it). SCANDAL! oesii you can clinch your victory with a win tomorrow, anyone else who wins will push oesii into a rigorous tie-breaker on Halloween.

Tomorrow I will post the final set of questions. boy has this contest been a mess or what? I promise the next one will be much cleaner!

Final Questions:

On October 30th 1962, the infamous Rat Pack performed at a famous night club in Chicago. They blew the roof off the dump. It was an amazing show.

1. What is the name of the Chicago Night Club?

2. Which members of the Rat Pack performed that night?

Good Luck.

Son of a bitch.

oesii. You are the shiz-nit. Not only did you sweep ALL of the trivia, but you are freakin' quick draw McGraw on it too.

Damn.

Unless your address has changed in the last month, expect your Ghostbusters cart sometime next week!

Man. Amazing. Rock on.

Stan

More contests to come, better ones, hopefully.... :P

Thanks Stan, Ghostbusters has been on my want list for awhile, I used to play the 8-bit version for hours at a time when I was a kid. But now everyone tells me it's no good but I don't believe them ;)

Your contest just needs a step up from simple googling, like maybe a jumble puzzle or a scavenger hunt one clue leading to another. I'm the google expert at work and I'm a researcher/evaluator by trade so I'm asked every day to find relevant stuff quickly.

Having a wireless laptop on my airport network also lets me check the forums during a commercials/gaming breaks, so those 2 things explain the speed :)

thanks again.

Yeah, that Google thing is a bitch, damn internet, but even I Googled that last question and couldn't find the answer.

The only reason I know the answer is because I was there! :P :P :P :P

Anywho, you did the work and you nailed ALL of the questions with rapid speed. Your prize is in the mail.

Cheers!

Stan

The only reason I know the answer is because I was there! :P  :P  :P  :P  

In a past life? That is spooky and Halloweeny :skull:

It's all about typing the right keywords and then going through the results with your own relevancy filters, this last one was interesting, I didn't see any direct mentions about the show but some theater company has a website about their recreation of this particular show:

http://onestientertainment.com/pages/chica...n_and_sammy.htm

Must have been awesome.

Nah, I'm just really old.

Anyway, it WAS a HELL of a show. Dean was AMAZING. Frank was his usual pain in the neck self, and Sammy did a rendition of "What kind of Fool am I" that would make you weep. Plus there was the hysterical "Sam's Song" duet with Sammy and Dean. Best of all was this joke as told by Frank (I think): "I like the one where the teacher asks, 'Hey Tommy, you got a fairy godmother.' And Tommy said, 'No, but we got an uncle we keep a close eye on.'" Classic.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D