IGNORED

Starpath Supercharger 'Large Box' Variation

Atari2600.com

I recently purchased this complete in box Starpath Supercharger based on a telephone description only. The seller described it as a boxed supercharger with five sealed games. Rather than the normal sized box this example has a box 12 x 7.5 x 5 inches.

The items arrived all together but loose in a shipping box. The Supercharger box states the pack-in Phaser Patrol game is enclosed so I put the packing tray, Phaser Patrol game, Supercharger and document envelope inside the box and set it aside.

A day later I noticed that the five sealed games were the perfect size to also fit inside the Supercharger box. It seems possible this package originally contained boxed Starpath games 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7, the supercharger and the Phaser Patrol game with documents. The box seems grossly large to contain just the small supercharger and Phaser Patrol game and docs envelope but the box only mentions Phaser Patrol.

The JerryG Guide (c.2001) is the only reference I've found which mentions this large box version of the Supercharger. It is described in the Guide as very rare and I would agree. We've never had an example like this in store inventory.

Can someone with a similar example confirm whether or not the box originally contained the five additional shrinkwrapped Starpath games?

Thanks,

JC

Atari2600.com

post-1477-126272416232_thumb.gif

• Like 3

I recently purchased this complete in box Starpath Supercharger based on a telephone description only. The seller described it as a boxed supercharger with five sealed games. Rather than the normal sized box this example has a box 12 x 7.5 x 5 inches.

The items arrived all together but loose in a shipping box. The Supercharger box states the pack-in Phaser Patrol game is enclosed so I put the packing tray, Phaser Patrol game, Supercharger and document envelope inside the box and set it aside.

A day later I noticed that the five sealed games were the perfect size to also fit inside the Supercharger box. It seems possible this package originally contained boxed Starpath games 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7, the supercharger and the Phaser Patrol game with documents. The box seems grossly large to contain just the small supercharger and Phaser Patrol game and docs envelope but the box only mentions Phaser Patrol.

The JerryG Guide (c.2001) is the only reference I've found which mentions this large box version of the Supercharger. It is described in the Guide as very rare and I would agree. We've never had an example like this in store inventory.

Can someone with a similar example confirm whether or not the box originally contained the five additional shrinkwrapped Starpath games?

Thanks,

JC

Atari2600.com

Would you believe that is the box I used to own as well. I tried to remember what kind of 'BIG' Starpath Supercharger box I bought way back in 1985 in a german store called 'Hertie'. My box included Phasor Patrol and Rabbit Transit (can't remember if RT was mentioned on the box as well). Unfortunately, at the time i had yet not started to keep 'packing', and the big box was tossed out. I do remember the Supercharger/2 game 'big' box was DM 9.99 and I bought 3 extra games for DM 4.99 each. I guess Hertie was selling out.

Great to finally see that box again, I already thought that time was playing tricks with my mind.

Edited by vcsdream

Perhaps this was a special deal for certain retailers. In other words, we're all familiar with how, in the past, Sears, Wards, K-Mart, etc. would have special relationships with companies... which resulted in varying marketing techniques, even though they were all essentially selling the same thing.

I wonder where exactly that package originated from. Not too foreign a concept that a company would have "bundled" those items and sold it exclusively through their outlets.

Venture and Zayre stores had such relationships with Atari companies. As did Child & Circus World...

That is awesome! :thumbsup:

I never had a Supercharger, but my friend did.

He only had 2 games, but I thought they looked kick ass and we played them and just imagined what would be coming down the pipe...unfortunately, as it turned out, the answer was "Not much"

Still I always wanted one. :cool:

That's the same oversized box I have for my PAL Supercharger too (though yours is in much, MUCH better condition!). I think I got mine from Colin Woodbridge when he sold his collection off. And yeah, I've rarely seen another one since.

That's the same oversized box I have for my PAL Supercharger too (though yours is in much, MUCH better condition!). I think I got mine from Colin Woodbridge when he sold his collection off. And yeah, I've rarely seen another one since.

I thought that it was the PAL box, but couldnt remember for sure. interesting that it has shown up in the US, but I'm pretty sure its not a US release. I've seen a few over the years, but only in Europe

Would a PAL format Supercharger scroll or flip the screen on an NTSC Atari 2600 system/TV? This Supercharger behaves normally on our NTSC equipment. The box bottom reads that it was Printed in USA. Not conclusive but could indicate it is a USA released product.

I purchased this from a small town in Pennsylvania. The seller was sort-of knowledgeable but not enough to recognize the unusual large box. Again, not conclusive but I didn't get the impression he would be the type of person to import it from Europe.

Did any of the PAL examples mentioned include pack-in games #3 through #7?

JC

I thought that it was the PAL box, but couldnt remember for sure. interesting that it has shown up in the US, but I'm pretty sure its not a US release. I've seen a few over the years, but only in Europe

Thanks,

JC

Atari2600.com

I have a sealed one of these and it doesn't feel heavy enough to contain 5 extra games. Plus, the ad makes no mention of it. ;)

supercharger.jpg

SC.jpg

Thanks,

JC

Atari2600.com

I have a sealed one of these and it doesn't feel heavy enough to contain 5 extra games. Plus, the ad makes no mention of it. ;)

PAL right?

Would a PAL format Supercharger scroll or flip the screen on an NTSC Atari 2600 system/TV? This Supercharger behaves normally on our NTSC equipment. The box bottom reads that it was Printed in USA. Not conclusive but could indicate it is a USA released product.

PAL supercharger units have a PAL sticker on them and roll on an NTSC TV. I have come across more NTSC supercharger units in Europe and Australia than PAL ones, so it being NTSC is not conclusive that it was ever released in the US. My understanding is that this variant was sold only in Europe and possibly Australia, though I have never seen one appear here.

Did any of the PAL examples mentioned include pack-in games #3 through #7?

JC

Marco will know for sure ;)