Photo

Timex-Sinclair 1000/ZX-81 vs. 3M Post-It Note

72 replies to this topic

Poll: Timex-Sinclair 1000/ZX-81 vs. 3M Post-It Note (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is better? Timex-Sinclair/ZX-81 or 3M Post-It Note?

1. The TS-1000/ZX-81 is superior in every way, poopyhead. (6 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. To anyone but a total doo-doo for brains, the Post-It is the better platform. (14 votes [70.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Mirage OFFLINE  

Mirage

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,656 posts
  • Have a problem? Hire the Envious Snakes!

Posted Wed Jan 6, 2010 6:43 PM

Yes.

After seeing what other have done with the TS1K (Some kick ass games are shown on YouTube I was really quite surprised, I may have to pick up a TS1K again just for shits and grins) and what others have done with the M3 (Barely legible, often misspelled notation like "This is your sammich") I'll still stick with the TS1K

Hey, that's your right! In a moment of seriousness, I really do like the TS1000... well, I mean, for what it is. It can be fun, and like anything else, it's always cool to see how far people can push the technology. I swear I even read sometime that someone made the TS1000 create some sort of sound. I have a CIB one, but haven't had it out in awhile. I'd vaguely like to get one of the kit ones, but there would be no point, since it would be a shame to build it up now.

Really good point there on what little homebrewers have accomplished on the Post-It. Hmmmm... that was a good enough point to almost make me reconsider my vote!

#52 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• 9,817 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Wed Jan 6, 2010 7:04 PM

After looking at the arguments I've cast my vote in favour of the Post-It notes.

#53 moycon OFFLINE  

moycon

Quadrunner

• 22,017 posts
  • moycon?? What the hell is that??

Posted Wed Jan 6, 2010 7:12 PM

Really good point there on what little homebrewers have accomplished on the Post-It.

Oh wait....

http://www.neatorama...-post-it-notes/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1OvgEXgSQo

#54 Mirage OFFLINE  

Mirage

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,656 posts

Posted Wed Jan 6, 2010 7:16 PM

Very cool. Unfortunately, I ruled out that homebrew project in my rule regarding only original and two-years from release... yellow only.

#55 doctor_x OFFLINE  

doctor_x

Moonsweeper

• 441 posts

Posted Wed Jan 6, 2010 10:18 PM

when i look at a new platform, im always thinking "communications" - i.e.: does it have a modem? and if it does have a modem, has someone written a BBS for it.

now, i may be wrong - and im sure someone, somewhere out there in timex land wrote one, but I do not believe there was a publicly released BBS software for the timex...

with that said, i guess i would have to vote "post it note" simply because i could do messaging and "file transfer" easier with a post it note than I could the timex...

in retrospect, i think its a travesty that a bbs software wasnt written for the timex - someone wrote a bbs for the tandy model 100 for the love of all thats good and holy!!!!

#56 moycon OFFLINE  

moycon

Quadrunner

• 22,017 posts

Posted Wed Jan 6, 2010 11:24 PM

does it have a modem? and if it does have a modem, has someone written a BBS for it.

A printer and an auto-dial modem were available for $100 each.

http://www.computerm...mexSinclair.htm

Not sure about the second part though.

#57 BigO OFFLINE  

BigO

River Patroller

• 4,381 posts

Posted Thu Jan 7, 2010 8:23 AM

Yes.

After seeing what other have done with the TS1K (Some kick ass games are shown on YouTube I was really quite surprised, I may have to pick up a TS1K again just for shits and grins) and what others have done with the M3 (Barely legible, often misspelled notation like "This is your sammich") I'll still stick with the TS1K

http://www.highfashi...it-origami.html?

#58 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 8,171 posts

Posted Thu Jan 7, 2010 9:25 AM

I've seen the Post It Donkey Kong before... too slow of a frame rate to be playable. :D

#59 Vic George 2K3 OFFLINE  

Vic George 2K3

Quadrunner

• 5,598 posts
  • I was corn this way.

Posted Thu Jan 7, 2010 3:54 PM

The Post-It isn't a machine, it's pieces of paper with adhesive.

Thanks for the astute observation. Glad the rest of you know how to have fun!

Want some real fun, try making a real computer out of Post-It notes.

#60 Mirage OFFLINE  

Mirage

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,656 posts

Posted Thu Jan 7, 2010 3:59 PM

The Post-It isn't a machine, it's pieces of paper with adhesive.

Thanks for the astute observation. Glad the rest of you know how to have fun!

Want some real fun, try making a real computer out of Post-It notes.

I honestly don't know what you mean, but that's okay. This is just a little fun, don't take it too seriously, please. But, if someone wants to try out your idea, I'd sure be interested.

#61 carmel_andrews OFFLINE  

carmel_andrews

Quadrunner

• 13,297 posts

Posted Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:33 PM

Sorry to take the pee but I think a post it note is a lightweight computer

#62 liveinabin OFFLINE  

liveinabin

Pencil wrangler

• 6,480 posts

Posted Fri Jan 8, 2010 2:34 AM

The ZX81. My first machine. I also got (and repaired) one this Christmas.
Now, it's importance to the US is pretty nil, but this little machine was a huge deal in the UK.
See, it allowed you to own a computer for 69 (less than half of what anyone else was charging). That's really important and kickstarted the entire British gaming boom.
Many of the great UK games writers started out with the 81 and, for that reason alone, it does demand a little respect.
Sure, it had no color, no sound, some hardware issues, but that wasn't important then. It was a computer and that was enough.

#63 Mirage OFFLINE  

Mirage

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,656 posts

Posted Fri Jan 8, 2010 5:48 AM

The ZX81. My first machine. I also got (and repaired) one this Christmas.
Now, it's importance to the US is pretty nil, but this little machine was a huge deal in the UK.
See, it allowed you to own a computer for £69 (less than half of what anyone else was charging). That's really important and kickstarted the entire British gaming boom.
Many of the great UK games writers started out with the 81 and, for that reason alone, it does demand a little respect.
Sure, it had no color, no sound, some hardware issues, but that wasn't important then. It was a computer and that was enough.

I'm sure its importance was higher to the UK, but I actually knew quite a few people BITD who had one here in the US. One friend I had actually used his quite extensively. It was super cheap at the time compared to anything else out, until all the prices on the other machines started dropping drastically. As I said previously, I actually like the little machine for what it is. No disrespect was intended. Some people will (and clearly have) understand what this thread was really about, and some will not, but I just wanted to make the note (again) that no disrespect toward the Sinclair machine is intended. My first machine was a Vic-20, which I think was (and is) a great machine, but some give it no respect, or even want to give it a try. And that doesn't bother me, because it doesn't take away from my enjoyment of it at all. One of my (many, probably too subtle, and probably not well-executed) points here is that people get SO offended and irate with each other in all these "vs" threads... the threads could be very interesting, but 95% of the time turn into petty bickering and bludgeoning with fanboyism... it's absurd and ruins a good thing every time. Well-reasoned replies like your own are a good thing, but the "I cannot believe you cannot see the truth when I'm telling it to you" responses are not. Compare my Vic-20 to a Lite-Brite, I don't care, won't offend me... it's a computer obsolete for 25+ years for crying out loud!

And honestly, on that note, I'd prefer to just let this thread die altogether. I hope we can let that happen. The moments where it was (or could have been) funny are now past anyway. Sorry to anyone offended, that certainly was not the point. The TS-1000/ZX-81 certainly has a place in history as an important step in bringing the price of computers down for both hobbyists and users, and it's fun to see how far people can push it (and any old machine) to this day.

Thanks for playing along. :)

#64 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 20,910 posts

Posted Fri Jan 8, 2010 10:40 AM

post-it notes are multitasking. tens of users can use a pack all at one time. And they support sneakernet ootb!

#65 BigO OFFLINE  

BigO

River Patroller

• 4,381 posts

Posted Fri Jan 8, 2010 11:33 AM

"I just wanted to make the note (again) that no respect toward the Sinclair machine is intended."

Heh.

#66 moycon OFFLINE  

moycon

Quadrunner

• 22,017 posts

Posted Fri Jan 8, 2010 12:48 PM

My first machine was a Vic-20, which I think was (and is) a great machine, but some give it no respect,

Mine (After the free TS1k) was the C64, I had two friends who had the VIC-20 years before I got the C64 and we loved it!!
Actually the one friends didn't own it, his grandmother did!! She lived like 2 blocks from him though and we would go over to her house almost every day.
She had SO many games (I think her son was a software pirate) We'd play VIC-20 for hours. Soon after the C64 came out, she got one of those and had about 6 disk boxes full of games. I don't know what she did with the VIC-20 but I was kind of sad I couldn't play some of those old VIC games anymore.
Maybe a persons fondness for something depends on if they grew up using it.

#67 Mirage OFFLINE  

Mirage

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,656 posts

Posted Fri Jan 8, 2010 3:13 PM

"I just wanted to make the note (again) that no respect toward the Sinclair machine is intended."

Heh.

Doh! That's what I get for trying to type that much on my way out the door to work. It was not a Freudian slip, I swear!

#68 Mirage OFFLINE  

Mirage

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,656 posts

Posted Fri Jan 8, 2010 3:14 PM

Maybe a persons fondness for something depends on if they grew up using it.

I'm sure this is largely the case, as for anything else. Some will discover it later and like it, but huge chunk of anything like this, is of course nostalgia. I loved typing in games/programs into the Vic-20. I didn't do that nearly so much on the C64 I had later.

#69 The_Laird OFFLINE  

The_Laird

Bratticus Maximus

• 3,571 posts
  • Atari Sega Nerd

Posted Sat Jan 9, 2010 12:44 PM

I do wonder why Timex didn't follow on and release the Spectrum in the US too.

#70 almightytodd OFFLINE  

almightytodd

Dragonstomper

• 807 posts
  • Infrequent Poster

Posted Sat Jan 9, 2010 1:17 PM

...But what about Macintosh Post-it notes?

#71 Mirage OFFLINE  

Mirage

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,656 posts

Posted Sat Jan 9, 2010 8:13 PM

I do wonder why Timex didn't follow on and release the Spectrum in the US too.

I wish they had. I've always wanted to mess with a Spectrum, but haven't ever had the chance (aside from emulation).

...But what about Macintosh Post-it notes?

Hilarious! Perfect!

#72 channelmaniac OFFLINE  

channelmaniac

Chopper Commander

• 236 posts
  • Mr Neo Fix-It

Posted Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:04 PM

I've never gotten a paper cut from a TS1000

#73 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 8,171 posts

Posted Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:09 PM

Data entry is much less frustrating with Post-It Notes.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users