IGNORED

Flashback 2

Any other Flashback 2 owners out there? How do you feel about the system?I received one for Christmas and I think it has a pretty nice game selection. Aquaventure is one of my all-time favorite Atari games, and it's nice to see this prototype get a release. I would have liked to see Berzerk, Circus Atari, Pac-Man and Keystone Kapers, but oh well.

The difficulty switches, however, are not as nice as they could be. This is a common criticism of the system, and it's well-founded. It's very hard to determine if the button is in or out, and I'm not sure if in is "A" or "B" although this shouldn't be too hard to test. My other complaint is that the B/W switch is very small and doesn't feel very durable. This is only a problem for Secret Quest, which requires you to flip it to access the menu. It kinda deters me from playing that particular game on the console, which is a shame because it's quite fun. Finally, the system has no option on it to return to the menu, instead requiring a hard reset to change games. Not a huge deal, but a valid criticism.

Unfortunately, the system comes with terrible documentation. Some games, like Saboteur, remain a complete mystery to me. The manual provides no information on different game modes or what the difficulty switches do. This information can be researched online, but it is a pain in the ass.

Despite the obvious flaws, at least the game selection is solid. Adventure, Adventure 2 (better than any hack I've played!), Pitfall!, Missile Command, Aquaventure, Asteroids, Centipede, Millipede, Combat, Space War, River Raid, Battlezone, Yar's Revenge, Yar's Return, Atari Climber, Super Breakout, and Warlords easily justify the price tag. Some of the games are stinkers, but that's to be expected.

The joysticks are high-quality, and even feel nicer than original joysticks. Sega Genesis controllers also work just fine.

I've had a set of paddles for years, but no working system. They dont work for the FB2, but that could just be my set of controllers. The paddle "flickers" back and forth when I spin the wheel (if anyone knows how I can fix this problem, please enlighten me :)

In conclusion, it's nice know that at least these 42 games will last a long time. I still want a 2600, but the FB2 definitely helps fill a void in my life. I highly recommend the system to everyone, if nothing else but for the prototypes and unreleased gems it's packaged with.

Atari, I'm waiting for the Flashback 3 now!

Any other Flashback 2 owners out there? How do you feel about the system?I received one for Christmas and I think it has a pretty nice game selection. Aquaventure is one of my all-time favorite Atari games, and it's nice to see this prototype get a release. I would have liked to see Berzerk, Circus Atari, Pac-Man and Keystone Kapers, but oh well.

The difficulty switches, however, are not as nice as they could be. This is a common criticism of the system, and it's well-founded. It's very hard to determine if the button is in or out, and I'm not sure if in is "A" or "B" although this shouldn't be too hard to test. My other complaint is that the B/W switch is very small and doesn't feel very durable. This is only a problem for Secret Quest, which requires you to flip it to access the menu. It kinda deters me from playing that particular game on the console, which is a shame because it's quite fun. Finally, the system has no option on it to return to the menu, instead requiring a hard reset to change games. Not a huge deal, but a valid criticism.

Unfortunately, the system comes with terrible documentation. Some games, like Saboteur, remain a complete mystery to me. The manual provides no information on different game modes or what the difficulty switches do. This information can be researched online, but it is a pain in the ass.

Despite the obvious flaws, at least the game selection is solid. Adventure, Adventure 2 (better than any hack I've played!), Pitfall!, Missile Command, Aquaventure, Asteroids, Centipede, Millipede, Combat, Space War, River Raid, Battlezone, Yar's Revenge, Yar's Return, Atari Climber, Super Breakout, and Warlords easily justify the price tag. Some of the games are stinkers, but that's to be expected.

The joysticks are high-quality, and even feel nicer than original joysticks. Sega Genesis controllers also work just fine.

I've had a set of paddles for years, but no working system. They dont work for the FB2, but that could just be my set of controllers. The paddle "flickers" back and forth when I spin the wheel (if anyone knows how I can fix this problem, please enlighten me :)

In conclusion, it's nice know that at least these 42 games will last a long time. I still want a 2600, but the FB2 definitely helps fill a void in my life. I highly recommend the system to everyone, if nothing else but for the prototypes and unreleased gems it's packaged with.

Atari, I'm waiting for the Flashback 3 now!

The pots inside your paddles need cleaning. Just Google for "Atari Paddle repair," and you'll find several in-depth tutorials on taking them apart and cleaning them. This is an ultra common problem.

Google further for "Atari Flashback 2 manual," and you'll find the much more complete version of the instructions. The manufacturers wanted the included one to be short, simple, and inexpensive to produce.

All this info and tons more is right here on AtariAge. Have a look around and have fun!

That's awesome. Curt Vendel, if you're here, post in this topic, I'd love to ask a few questions about the FB2 and here any stories you might have about development, etc. regarding the FB2.

On a side note: I achieved an all-time high score in Pitfall! on my FB2 tonight! In the 80,000s. I know it's not really that great, but I haven't memorized the passages yet and most of my time was spent running from screen to screen without going underground. Soon (within the next few months) I should have my route planned out for my perfect game of Pitfall!, something I've wanted to do for a long time.

I have a flashback 2 and plan on modding it one day just for fun. Anyone know if an S-video conversion can be quickly and easily made for the FB2? Or even a stereo RCA mod?

S video I don't think so.

Stereo?

The thing only puts out mono, but if you want "stereo" just hook both wires to the same spots on the board.

I wish it was a bit more compatible with TVs & TV cards. I did some recording of gameplay on my Hauppage card, and on some games, one part of the graphics are visible & the other is not. Reset the console, and the visible/invisible parts switch. Night Driver, for instance has the invisible player car.

I wish it was a bit more compatible with TVs & TV cards. I did some recording of gameplay on my Hauppage card, and on some games, one part of the graphics are visible & the other is not. Reset the console, and the visible/invisible parts switch. Night Driver, for instance has the invisible player car.

Yea I also noticed some games were glitchy on an HDTV. I haven't tested them on a CRT yet, but I suspect they will work okay. I forget which games... none of the "major" titles.

The problem here is not the console: it is doing what it is supposed to, which is an alternating-frame flicker effect.

See, many games would, ever frame of image, alternate between one set of sprites, and another, to overcome limitations in the hardware. Well, it would seem your capture devices only record at 30 htz, instead of the normal 60, so the end result is it is only capturing every other frame.

Try to track down something like the gamebridge... with enough bypasses, I can record direct feeds off the original hardware without issue, at the full 60 htz.

The problem here is not the console: it is doing what it is supposed to, which is an alternating-frame flicker effect.

See, many games would, ever frame of image, alternate between one set of sprites, and another, to overcome limitations in the hardware. Well, it would seem your capture devices only record at 30 htz, instead of the normal 60, so the end result is it is only capturing every other frame.

Try to track down something like the gamebridge... with enough bypasses, I can record direct feeds off the original hardware without issue, at the full 60 htz.

Gotcha. I remember playing my FB2 on my non-HD CRT tv, and Yars Return was unplayable to do bizarre flicker & the picture going out of sync.

I tested Yar's Return on a regular CRT and there is still a small amount of flicker... what's going on with this and is there a way I can resolve this problem? How could Atari release a system with glitchy games in it only a few years ago? My TV runs at 60 Htz... this kinda sucks :(

I tested Yar's Return on a regular CRT and there is still a small amount of flicker... what's going on with this and is there a way I can resolve this problem? How could Atari release a system with glitchy games in it only a few years ago? My TV runs at 60 Htz... this kinda sucks :(

Read previous posts. Atari flickers. It's supposed to. The Atari 2600 is 1977 technology, and the game you're complaining about is only a few years newer than that. It didn't come out "only a few years ago," more like thirty.

Try hooking the FB into a VCR first, that may help.

It is impossible to get rid of the flicker. It's not your TV, it's the way the game is programmed ;)

Ask away, I'm usually lurking/posting each day.

Curt

That's awesome. Curt Vendel, if you're here, post in this topic, I'd love to ask a few questions about the FB2 and here any stories you might have about development, etc. regarding the FB2.

On a side note: I achieved an all-time high score in Pitfall! on my FB2 tonight! In the 80,000s. I know it's not really that great, but I haven't memorized the passages yet and most of my time was spent running from screen to screen without going underground. Soon (within the next few months) I should have my route planned out for my perfect game of Pitfall!, something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Ask away, I'm usually lurking/posting each day.

Curt

I've been playing significant amounts of Flashback 2. When can I buy a Flashback 3?