Photo

Please Use eBay BBCode Tags when Posting eBay Auctions, Sellers, Stores

12 replies to this topic

#1 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• 30,073 posts

Posted Fri Jan 8, 2010 5:49 PM

When posting links to eBay, please use the three dedicated BBCode tags described below. When you do this, you help generate some revenue for AtariAge when people click the links you are posting.

Here are the three types of links:

Link to Individual eBay Item: ebay

Please use the ebay tag when posting a link to an individual item on eBay. You want to enclose the item number between the two tags, as below:

[ebay]250559036051[/ebay]
This generates a link as such:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 250559036051

eBay Seller Search: ebayseller

This link displays all the items a particular seller has for sale. This is useful if you have many items listed on eBay and want people to browse through your listings. Use as follows:

[ebayseller]AtariAge[/ebayseller]
The above BBCode generates the following link:

eBay Seller: AtariAge

eBay Store Link: ebaystore

If you have an eBay Store and want to link to it, please use the ebaystore BBCode, as follows:

[ebaystore]arcadecollecting[/ebaystore]
The link will appear as follows:

eBay Store: arcadecollecting

Finally, if you have a link to your eBay auctions (or to specific items) in your Signature, you can use these BBCode tags there as well.

Thanks!

#2 djpubba OFFLINE  

djpubba

Stargunner

• 1,081 posts

Posted Fri Jan 8, 2010 6:13 PM

Woohoo! Mah store got a free AA plug! :) :)

#3 phaxda OFFLINE  

phaxda

River Patroller

• 2,393 posts
  • just a geek with some old black plastic

Posted Fri Jan 8, 2010 6:17 PM

Done in sig--is something similar planned for GameGavel?

#4 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• Topic Starter
  • 30,073 posts

Posted Fri Jan 8, 2010 6:21 PM

Done in sig--is something similar planned for GameGavel?

I'd be glad to create similar tags for GameGavel, although what inspired me to do this is eBay's affiliate program. I should have done this a long time ago! :ponder:

..Al

#5 orangest OFFLINE  

orangest

Stargunner

• 1,051 posts

Posted Fri Jan 8, 2010 6:39 PM

Link to Individual eBay Item: ebay

Please use the ebay tag when posting a link to an individual item on eBay. You want to enclose the item number between the two tags, as below:

[ebay]250559036051[/ebay]
This generates a link as such:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 250559036051

I noticed that when I cut & pasted the URL for the Lochjaw auction in the Interesting Auctions thread, it converted it to the ebay tag automatically. So thank you for that bit of functionality. :)

#6 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• Topic Starter
  • 30,073 posts

Posted Fri Jan 8, 2010 6:40 PM

I noticed that when I cut & pasted the URL for the Lochjaw auction in the Interesting Auctions thread, it converted it to the ebay tag automatically. So thank you for that bit of functionality. :)

No, I actually went through the first page of threads in "Auction Central" and manually edited all the links. I wish they'd convert automatically!! I may be able to do that in time, at least for auctions that have the actual item number listed in them.

Btw, I noticed you have a link to your items on eBay. You could change it to this:

[ebayseller]orangest[/ebayseller]
Although that will show up as "eBay Seller: orangest" instead of just "ebay" as you have in your signature now. Wonder if I can fix that..

..Al

#7 orangest OFFLINE  

orangest

Stargunner

• 1,051 posts

Posted Fri Jan 8, 2010 6:46 PM

Well then, thank you very much for the manual tweaking! And it really doesn't matter if it says "ebay seller" for the time being if the click-throughs will help.

#8 udisi OFFLINE  

udisi

Chopper Commander

• 159 posts

Posted Sat Jan 9, 2010 2:37 PM

G;ad you found the affiliate info. ebay may be a necessary evil, but hell they can give some kickbacks too then.

#9 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• Topic Starter
  • 30,073 posts

Posted Sat Jan 9, 2010 3:01 PM

G;ad you found the affiliate info. ebay may be a necessary evil, but hell they can give some kickbacks too then.

Agreed on both counts. This is a pretty much invisible means of getting something back for all the traffic sent to eBay from here. Wish there was an automated method of converting eBay links into the proper BBCode links, but that's a project for another day (and even then I'm not sure how reliably it could be done). I'm sure many people will get into the habit of using the BBCode links, and others I can change manually as they appear.

..Al

#10 thanatos OFFLINE  

thanatos

Dragonstomper

• 999 posts

Posted Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:06 PM

I don't know if it's this format or not, or something odd in my browser, but for the past 2 days all I get when clicking on any ebay links here is a 403-Forbidden from rover.ebay.com.

#11 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• Topic Starter
  • 30,073 posts

Posted Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:33 PM

I don't know if it's this format or not, or something odd in my browser, but for the past 2 days all I get when clicking on any ebay links here is a 403-Forbidden from rover.ebay.com.

That's interesting, I wonder if they have some IP addresses from your ISP blocked for some reason. I'll have to do some digging.

..Al

#12 thanatos OFFLINE  

thanatos

Dragonstomper

• 999 posts

Posted Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:39 PM

That's interesting, I wonder if they have some IP addresses from your ISP blocked for some reason. I'll have to do some digging.

..Al

Nevermind... My ad-blocking firewall was being too efficient. :)

#13 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• Topic Starter
  • 30,073 posts

Posted Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:41 PM

Nevermind... My ad-blocking firewall was being too efficient. :)

Ahh, good, I'm glad that's all it was! :D

..Al

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users