IGNORED

Fuzzy picture

My Intellivision II has a problem. It has to do with the picture. It has static on it. Not too much, but enough that it bothers me enough to post a thread in this forum to find out how to fix it. Is there anything I can do short of opening it up and fiddling with it (I don't want to break it, it's the only one I've seen in years.) I tried fiddling around with the wires, but to no avail.

post-9475-126369686924_thumb.jpg

My Intellivision II has a problem. It has to do with the picture. It has static on it. Not too much, but enough that it bothers me enough to post a thread in this forum to find out how to fix it. Is there anything I can do short of opening it up and fiddling with it (I don't want to break it, it's the only one I've seen in years.) I tried fiddling around with the wires, but to no avail.

Have you tried a different RF cable? Also, if you can get one of those little adapter plugs that you plug the RF cable into, that plugs into the coax input on the TV, that may help. Those RF switchboxes seem like they never lasted very long, even back in the '80s...

I don't have an RF switchbox. It came with one of those female-to-male conversion thingies I also have for my 2600. (As you can see, I don't know much about the technical terms.)

I just had the same issue with my intellivision. I believe I had a three reasons for this. 1) A new RF cable helped a bit. 2) Using the RF plug for my TurboGrafx 16 or NES seemed to fix it right up. 3) On a couple games I found giving them a good cleaning and trying again helped a lot. It's possible I didn't have them seated correctly the first time though. So to sum up, if you're using the old RF switch box, try a different cable. If not, play around with different connections. In my case I tried the RF switches that came with my TurboGrafx and NES, both worked well. Last but not least, sometimes a good cart cleaning will do the trick.

Just for a lark, I tried changing it to channel 4. It gives out a better picture. Why would this be?

Is there usually programming on channel 3 or 4 where you live? Usually, you set the RF to whichever channel has less outside signal coming in. Maybe in your area, there's less "noise" on channel 4 (or perhaps the channel switch on your RF converter is set to "4").