IGNORED

Hidden Message in Blue Max Revealed 27 Years Later

see the full report here:

http://www.donhodges.com/bluemax.htm

---

The computer game Blue Max was released by Synapse software in 1983 for the Commodore 64 computer.

This game contains a hidden message which can be revealed by using a sector editor.

I discovered this message in my youth, one night probably in 1984 or '85, probably while trying to hack the game to display my cracker name [The Phantom]. I was unsuccessful, but I did find something I was not expecting ...

On Track 12, sectors 1 through 4 we find the following message:

WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY CODE? YOU REALLY MUST HAVE SOMETHING BETTER TO DO THAN RIP ME OFF. BY TRYING TO CRACK THIS CODE YOU'RE CHEATING ME OUT OF WHAT I SHOULD EARN FOR THE WORK I PUT INTO IT. I WORKED HARD TO MAKE THIS GAME AND REALLY RESENT THAT I HAVE TO GO TO THESE LENGTHS TO KEEP PIRATES OUT OF MY CODE. BUT AS LONG AS THERE ARE PEOPLE LIKE YOU TRYING TO CHEAT PEOPLE LIKE ME, I'LL BE SPENDING AS MUCH TIME WRITING THIS SENSELESS PROTECTION AS I DO WRITING GAMES. SO WHY DON'T YOU JUST GIVE UP RIGHT NOW AND TELL YOUR PIRATE FRIENDS THAT YOU COULDN'T CRACK BLUE MAX. SPEND YOUR TIME DOING SOMETHING USEFUL WITH YOUR TALENTS, INSTEAD OF MAKING ME WASTE MINE. AND DON'T BOTHER LOOKING FOR MORE MESSAGES, THIS IS THE LAST OF THEM.

PETER ADAMS

As far as I can tell, this unimportant factoid had been lost in the sands of time ... until now, 27 years later.

Interesting. He must of lost personal revenue because of pirates prior to him putting that in there.

He sure lost enough afterwards. blue max was one of the most popular games around IMO. And I didn't even have a legit copy of it until about 6 months ago (xe cart).

Heck, piracy was so prevalent back in the 8-bit computer days that it wasn't uncommon for an average user to have thousands, even tens of thousands, of dollars worth of pirated software. I remember as a kid, there was a local user group whose main purpose was swapping suitcase loads of pirated software, and they thought nothing of it. Piracy's certainly still around, but it's *nothing* near as commonplace as it was, even on platforms like Nintendo DS.

Edited by Reaperman

totally agree with the fact that piracy was such a "norm" back then - even more than now I think (obviously relative to the number of total users using computers these days..).. i remember all my friends dads being into warez on the 800 and c64..

fun stuff.. would love to hear more of your pirating exploits from back in the day on my forums..