IGNORED

World Championship Baseball

cvga

I played a ton of Intellivision's Major League Baseball as a kid. I had an Atari but my best friend had an Intellivision and we played this game nearly every day one summer. Unfortunately it's a two player game so there's not much of an opportunity to play it any more. I do have World Championship Baseball but I hadn't really played it much until earlier this week. It allows one player versus the computer so I played a couple of games. I beat the computer easily on a medium level so I played on the hardest level at the fastest speed. Although this isn't the exact same game as MLB, it's close enough that a ton of old memories came back as I was playing. The computer and I engaged in a defensive struggle and I prevailed by a score of 2-1 after getting the go ahead run in the bottom of the 8th. Afterward, I set up another game and let the computer play against itself (another option). I thought my game was a defensive struggle but it was nothing compared to this. After nine innings, the score was still tied at 0-0. I went upstairs for awhile and when I came back down to the game room, the game was in the 18th inning and still tied 0-0. I watched for a couple of innings and went back upstairs and forgot that I left the game playing. When I remembered and went back down, I saw that the Red team (visitors) had prevailed by a score of 1-0 in a 25 inning game!!

Has anyone else played this game (or even MLB that matter)? I still think this is one of the best baseball games available for any system!

Yeah I played both quite a bit. I played the original to death, sometimes using one hand on each controller to play by myself. It must have been a kid thing because I doubt I could do that now.

When World Championship came out I was excited and bought the game right away. I played it constantly for days. I didn't like that I couldn't change the team colors, but I used to do a Brewers vs. Cardinals match up and replay the 1982 World Series. Of course I was always the Brewers and I can't remember ever actually losing a 7 game series.

I always wanted to try out the one player football as well. I never got that game but I have added it to my list. I have the original NFL Football with the big play calling sheets. I used to play it one player with a control in each hand, but the quarters were way too long and I couldn't really play good defense against myself.

Intellivision did have a great collection of sports games for the time. Well, except for Boxing. I really never got into that one.