IGNORED

Games that could easily be done on lynx = lots of fun

Arek

@ninjabba

Your demo looks promising. :)

Being a Final-Fantasy-nut your choice of the character sprite is appreciated. :P

It´s really a shame that few people can do both well; coding and drawing.

There are many games I would like to do, but I can´t code one bit, and for a programming n00b the Lynx must be especially hard to do something for, seeing it is best programmed in ASM.

So I do mock-ups and jump on board whenever a project seems cool and some pixel art is needed.

I happen to be a dedicated drawer myself with my roots in graffiti, but pixel-art is quite the opposite of huge walls and spray-cans. For now I'm just borrowing sprites to have it look nice and work on the coding (which can be done in C!), I'm working on some sprites as well, but the whole workload (both coding and drawing, not to forget an interesting story) is kind of crazy. I can see why Zaku was created in a span of 6 years... btw, I saved your mock-up and it showed 22 colors? Its a good palette tho and might borrow that :)

I have been thinking about making some games on the Lynx for many years. I can't code, but I can pixel draw, and my idea was to imagine a game scenario and rules, draw every single graphics elements (sprites, tiles, animations, cinematics scenes if needed etc.) and once finished, give them to a coder to complete the game, and hire another person concerning the sound departement if the coder would not be able to do it.

I use my Amiga 1200, 75% of the time to make drawings with "Brilliance" who is, I think, a real drawing software masterpiece. So I did some sprites/animation for projects that could be Lynx versions of : Yie Ar Kung Fu, Kung Fu Master (yeah, I like kung fu !), Ikari Warriors, and a Game of the Goose with Heroic Fantasy RPG elements (ala Rune Master) that could be played up to 4 players.

Here is 2 pic with vertical scanline to give a Lynx screen feeling.

I'm still working on it when I can, and a lot have been done on the graphics side.

post-6211-126644395725_thumb.png

post-6211-126644406852_thumb.png

It looks nice enough, but the resolution is too high. It must be 160 x 102, and 16 colors max.

But chances that you just complete all graphics for a game and find a coder to program it for you are pretty low;

I can´t imagine anyone wanting to do that kind of work with the creative restrictions of you having pre-defined all rules, story, graphics and just about everything. For that you would have to pay someone, and that won´t be cheap.

Also, many ideas you have might be hard to do; things that seem simple might not be easy to adapt at all. The Lynx is an old system with very little RAM.

The usual way is a constant dialogue and exchange of ideas between the makers. So better stay with some concept screens and leave the real work for a time when a coder agrees to cooperate; then design the game together.

Edited by 108 Stars

It looks nice enough, but the resolution is too high. It must be 160 x 102, and 16 colors max.

The original pics, those I drew are 160x102, I just doubled the size for the screenshots. And the number of colors didn't change from the original pics I draw, there are only 16 colors here or maybe 15, I saved one for objects/sprites transparancy if I remember well (color #0).

But chances that you just complete all graphics for a game and find a coder to program it for you are pretty low;

I can´t imagine anyone wanting to do that kind of work with the creative restrictions of you having pre-defined all rules, story, graphics and just about everything. For that you would have to pay someone, and that won´t be cheap.

Well, let's explain it a bit. I don't want to be the boss or the captain of the ship, I can draw, so I make some graphics and freely give them to encourage making a game and save time for a coder who would not have some time or would not/could not draw any graphics. It goes like this for Yie ar Kung Fu, Kung Fu Master and Ikari, for which I re-arranged the graphics to adapt them to the Lynx specs (resolution/colors). Those games are well known, and they often appear as an answer when asked what games one would want to see on the Lynx, well at least Y.ar K. and KFM... So it's my free and modest contribution as long as there are some demand for them.

The exeption is the Game of Goose. But I'm open to any ideas of course, there's no problem.

Also, many ideas you have might be hard to do; things that seem simple might not be easy to adapt at all. The Lynx is an old system with very little RAM.

I know what the Lynx is capable of, and I don't see any difficulties here.

The usual way is a constant dialogue and exchange of ideas between the makers. So better stay with some concept screens and leave the real work for a time when a coder agrees to cooperate; then design the game together.

As I said I'm totally open to any ideas coming from anyone, I just start with a concept and it can be improved with any suggestions, all of this is to give some help, and for the pleasure of making some games that people could have fun with.

I have been thinking about making some games on the Lynx for many years. I can't code, but I can pixel draw, and my idea was to imagine a game scenario and rules, draw every single graphics elements (sprites, tiles, animations, cinematics scenes if needed etc.) and once finished, give them to a coder to complete the game, and hire another person concerning the sound departement if the coder would not be able to do it.

I use my Amiga 1200, 75% of the time to make drawings with "Brilliance" who is, I think, a real drawing software masterpiece. So I did some sprites/animation for projects that could be Lynx versions of : Yie Ar Kung Fu, Kung Fu Master (yeah, I like kung fu !), Ikari Warriors, and a Game of the Goose with Heroic Fantasy RPG elements (ala Rune Master) that could be played up to 4 players.

Here is 2 pic with vertical scanline to give a Lynx screen feeling.

I'm still working on it when I can, and a lot have been done on the graphics side.

Could you show us some of the work you have done for Yie are kung fu, Kung fu and Ikari Warriors. Sounds really interesting!

I remember a while ago finding a Lynx rom of Street Fighter 2, with very little gameplay but it looked really nice. Could never find it again though, there was also one for Ghosts and Goblins. Does anybody know who made those?

@AGA

About the Lynx-specs, I was not talking so much about the games such as Yie-Ar Kung Fu. What I mean is specifically aimed towards the RPG idea from your screens. An RPG is one of the most complex games possible, and eventhough I am no coder myself, I know from my friends matashen and Fonzie (Pier Solar-coder) that it is not easy to get all the features you would dream of in an RPG done. So just be aware that some things might have to be dropped in the end. :)

However, keep collecting ideas, as I would really like to have more than one RPG on the Lynx. After all the genre offers so many variants...and your concept looks very Might and Magic-alike,

@sd32

The ROMs you mention were available on rygars website afair, as was the one-level-Zaku-demo.

I can´t seem to reach the site now though, maybe it moved or something.

I don´t think those demos are too exciting though; afair the sprites looked so good because they were taken 1:1 from the SNES/PCE/MD-version. The problem is that the Lynx has a very small screen resolution in comparison, so gameplay with characters that big would be pretty bad. For a good gameplay we will have to make visual compromises and make the sprites somewhat smaller. :/

@AGA

About the Lynx-specs, I was not talking so much about the games such as Yie-Ar Kung Fu. What I mean is specifically aimed towards the RPG idea from your screens. An RPG is one of the most complex games possible, and eventhough I am no coder myself, I know from my friends matashen and Fonzie (Pier Solar-coder) that it is not easy to get all the features you would dream of in an RPG done. So just be aware that some things might have to be dropped in the end. :)

However, keep collecting ideas, as I would really like to have more than one RPG on the Lynx. After all the genre offers so many variants...and your concept looks very Might and Magic-alike,

Actually this project, as I said in my first post, is nothing but a game of the goose ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_the_Goose ), you have probably played this game in your chilhood on a wooden board and 2 dice, as I did when I was a kid. So the game concept is ultra simple. In my project it's simply the same : 4 players have to go through 100 boxes to finish the game, and of course, the first player who reaches the last box (no 100) have won, it's basically a race between 4 players in fact. So the RPG elements are here to create an atmosphere and to add some fun too. But they are quite simple. Each player have Life, Attack, Defense and Gold. So if you meet a monster on a box (randomly), say a goblin (with it's own Life, Attack and Defense), you have to fight against it, and if you win you can take some gold. Sometimes you can go to a village (each 15 boxes or so) in which you can buy some equipment in 3 shops : weapons, armors, items (amulet, rune, magic object) to help you in your quest (reaching the last box no.100 where the dark wizard awaits you) by adding some +1,+2,+3 etc. to your attack or defense. So I don't think a game like this would be that much difficult to do. ;)

Well, maybe next summer I will try to learn C language, it could be quite a challenge to try to adapt this game by myself after all (even if it's not going to be finish until 2019 or so :lol: )

Could you show us some of the work you have done for Yie are kung fu, Kung fu and Ikari Warriors. Sounds really interesting!

I remember a while ago finding a Lynx rom of Street Fighter 2, with very little gameplay but it looked really nice. Could never find it again though, there was also one for Ghosts and Goblins. Does anybody know who made those?

Yeah, I tried Ghost'n Goblins on the Lynx emu, I would have loved to see a conversion of it.

Here is a screenshot of Yie ar Kung Fu, as you can see, I used MSX gfx to adapt them to the Lynx, from yakf 1 and 2. I like the cartoon style of the MSX version. ;)

And another (vertically scanlined) one of something that could be made into a Kung Fu Master clone/version.

As for Ikari work, I don't have the drawings here, at home, they are on my Amiga HD.

Hasta pronto ! ;)

post-6211-126653573923_thumb.png

post-6211-126653577533_thumb.png

Looks great!

I love drawing and animating on my Amiga also.

Brillance & DP4 are some of the best Art programs I have ever used.

Glad you like it too, people often use and refers to DPaint or PPaint on the Amiga. Personnally my favorite is Brilliance, a very brilliant drawing soft ! :lust:

Looks great!

I love drawing and animating on my Amiga also.

Brillance & DP4 are some of the best Art programs I have ever used.

Glad you like it too, people often use and refers to DPaint or PPaint on the Amiga. Personnally my favorite is Brilliance, a very brilliant drawing soft ! icon_lust.gif

I really wanna get a 6Meg+ Amiga with a hard drive so I can get back into my larger animations.

Right now my 1000 is not bad I have tons of add ons and junk for it but I need more than 4meg and 2 floppy drives to do what I want.

I hope to run across one soon.

Wow, Kung-Fu would be pretty awesome. I love that game.

I still dont know how well mode7 would actually work, but in my excitement decided to piece together a mock-up screenshot of "Lynx Kart"

The road is kinda warped because I wasnt able to imitate the look of a rotated bitmap like in real mode7...

And the color palette choices should be tweaked some, as I think I'm using too many colors at moment.

post-24769-126669818679_thumb.png

• 5 years later...

Hi,

going through games that could easily be done on lynx which can handle the computing power. Plus those games would be lots of fun!

1. Kung Fu

supermariokart and yoshi's island on the lynx would be great,since the lynx can do mode7,sprite scaling and polygons.