IGNORED

Max iPad

DaytonaUSA

Well talk about a let down. The new iPad was released today and is nothing but a large iPod Touch with a data plan. No calls.

Another let down was the OS. The icons are on the bottom and in the background, just like the iPhone. However, this doesn't really work for a Tablet. Naturally your hands are on the sides as you hold the device. The docks/icons would be better listed on the sides.

It seems awkward. It's huge, has a large meaningless 1 inch black boarder around the screen, and worst of all, seems very bad to type on due to the fact you need to rest it on something like your lap for it to be effective. It would be easier to type on a netbook to be honest. The accessories that you can buy for it screams that this is an issue as everyone acts as a stand. One even is a freakin keyboard...wow.

Lastly, games look decent, but most of the games will just be iPhone games double the pixels. This is a very poor excuse. Not to mention, with the 1 inch boarder around the screen, getting your thumbs to the virtual dpads on most games is going to be a huge headache. That and who wants to tilt a huge 10 inch screen around in the air to play a FPS on the iPad? It makes your arms tired enough to do the thing on the iPhone, and this thing is 1.5 pounds! Screw that!

Once again, anyone here knows I love Apple. I buy all their crap, but not this. This is absolutely horrible and it's taking what made the iPhone so successful and throwing it out the window.

No subscribtions for content like rumored. No camera for video conferencing. No multiple apps which the much more underpowered Droid can do already. No flash support. It's Apple's DS LL. It's their Max iPad. :|

Oh and PS: It's expensive as all hell once it's fully working with 3G access and a decent amount of memory.

tab12_600x400.jpg

Hopefully it'll force game developers to rethink game design. Haven't we seen enough first person shooters? The genre does not adapt well to touchscreen controls and it is just played out. I just about groaned when I saw that a FPS was displayed at the unveiling. It's time for some new blood in the world of games.

Yeah, big Apple fan, but I'm not impressed with this.

No camera???

No 16:9???

No HD???

No microphone???

No multitasking???

Sticking with AT&T?????????????????

The thing is unlocked!

No horizontal dock???

$130 for a $2 3G chip???

My excitement for this was over the top. After about 15 minutes in, I was literally ticked off and almost insulted. Why? Because nearly every other "leaked" version of this thing, and all it's "leaked" features were better than the real thing.

Was it this way when the iPhone first came out? No, the total opposite... it blew everyone away.

Now, to be fair, after the demonstration was over, I looked at it rationally for what it was and seriously asked myself if it could find some use in my home. Honestly, there's no place for it. My netbook is my "sitting in front of the television" computer. It has a screen that folds up and faces me, not flat on my lap. Gaming, as mentioned earlier, would only work for table games like air hocket or Risk. Driving, adventure, platform, FPS, all would tire your arms out very quickly. Music.. nope, I mainly listen to music in my car and work. This wouldn't fit anywhere on my dash like my iPhone, just the passenger seat. If I brought this to work, they'd view it as a laptop type device, and ban it from work, where as they can't with my iPhone as it's my cell phone. Maybe a more powerful computer to handle my music, photos, videos? Nope. The size of the device is more of a 4:3 than 16:9. Movies look horrible on it as there is so much black filler around the movie screen. And honestly, everything else can be better handled by my iMac.

All I asked for going into this was a custom OS that would work. Something that worked with your hands on the side. That and multitasking, as I like to do that on my iMac to a HUGE extent. Something that honestly aggrivates me about my iPhone. I got neither. It's not like these things weren't well vocalized by Apple fans as needs. They just decided to flat out ignore us. I never thought I'd ever say this, but if it wasn't for the fact I'm dozens of Apps in, I'd love it if Droid made a tablet instead.

PS: this is what the iPad should have been.

@Christophero Sly: it has a microphone, at least according to engadget and it's unlocked so other carriers can possibly come into play in the future.

Don't care about the camera. I'm a little bummed about the no multitasking thing, though. And an SD card slot would be nice. As far as it being just a big iPod Touch. That's fine with me! I was on the fence with the iPod Touch. I wanted internet but didn't want to be constrained to wifi hotspots and I also didn't want to have a phone contract to get wireless internet. Their pay-as-you-go model is right up my alley.

I refused to buy the iPhone even when they dropped the price to $99 when I discovered you required a $40 a month data plan on top of your phone plan.

For our two phones that would be what over $100-$150 a month!??

I see people who drive piece of shit cars, live in little apartments, have admin jobs, live month to month and carry around a frickin iPhone.

I don't get it. So they can check Facebook while taking a crap? So they can play a dumbed down Sim game while on the bus? So they can flip through pictures or virtual albums to play an mp3? That's what this one girl showed me was great about the iPhone. The best part was her husband (who I know doesn't make very much money) paid for it because she was out of work! Must be a status symbol.

I pass on it all, but especially a big iPhone that doesn't make calls.

I really dislike Apple products and this is no exception. No reason to buy this whatsoever. Though I did enjoy Jobs comments about netbooks,They dosuck and suck more due to running M$ products. Might make a nice big ebook reader.

Many many many people are running OSX on their netbooks. ;)

I find them too small.

So it does less than a typical laptop yet costs more. Apple fans will love it.

I don't get it.

*That* guy has arrived. De-evolution into a Mac vs. PC thread in 3...2...

Ummm sure. Since this product is neither a Mac or PC and I did not mention either of those in my post, you made a huge leap. If anything, it looks and functions like a giant Ipod. Maybe this thread will devolve into the hated Ipod vs SanDisk Sansa debate.

It is too expensive for an e-reader. I think the Kindle is too expensive at $250 and this product costs twice that. The Kindle screen does seem more like looking at a printed page than a regular LCD display. A book like display seems to be the hook of the Kindle.

It is too large to be grab and go like a smartphone, so it will not be a product you carry with you any more than a typical laptop. So if you use this at home what would you use it for? Would i watch movies and TV shows on it? No, I have large HDTV's that are better for that. Would I use this for my daily news, Atari Age, etc? My laptop on my coffee table in front of my couch, or my computers in my den work fine for that now.

Gaming with this? Why? I have not held it yet of course, but it seems too big to hold for long periods of time similiar to a PSP or DS. Besides, if I am home why would I rather play games on this rather than my Wii, Xbox360, or PS3?