IGNORED

Classic Macintosh Questions

Tempest

I decided to start a new topic because the old one was really another topic all together. I have a few Claasic Mac questions.

Question 1: Yesterday I finally got my CD drive (an Apple 150) working on my Mac Plus. However when I tried to use a CD with a lot of information on it (240MB or so) the Mac gave me an error: here isn't enough Finder memory to work with the disk "Games". I assume this is because Finder is trying to read the whole CD and doesn't have enough memory to do so (it worked with a smaller CD with only 2MB on it). I have two questions about this:

a. How do I increase the Finder memory (Aftermac suggested going into the System Folder and click on "Finder", then go to "File" and "Get Info", but I haven't had a chance to test this yet).

b. How much memory does Finder need to read a CD of this size? I only have 4MB of memory in the whole system. :)

Question 2: How do reformat the HD and install System 6.0.8 on it? I have the disk images for 6.0.8 that I downloaded from Apple, but I'm not sure what I need to do to turn those images into bootable disks (just copy the contents from each one to a real disk?). Assuming I get those disk images working, what do I need to do to format the HD and install the OS onto it?

Question 3: This is a question about .hqx, .sea., and .sit files. What do I need to open these? Will the classic version of Stuffit (on the Mac Plus) open these? The reason I ask is that it didn't seem to recognize the .hqx file, I had to open that using Stuffit Deluxe on my Powerbook laptop.

Question 4: This is about .img files. How do I turn one of these into a bootable disk image (I assume that's what this is)? Do I need a special program for it?

Question 5: My final question is about applications. Other than Stuffit and Disinfectant, what other apps would be useful to have? I'll be using this Mac as a game machine, so I don't need productivity apps.

Tempest

1a. I already commented on this, but what the heck. :) On classic Mac's you can adjust the amount of memory that you want each application to use, by going to Get Info. In System 6 you could also adjust the the amount that you want the Finder to use. Apple stopped allowing you to modify the Finder's memory in System 7, so you have to use a program like ResEdit to modify the Resource Fork.

1b. I would start by adding 100k to the Finder and see where that gets you. It is a pretty efficient program, so I would imagine it just needs a little room to breathe.

2. Use Disk Copy 4.2 (See #4.) to write the images to floppy. You should be able to boot from the Disk Tools disc and format the HD. Sometimes there is a compatibility problem with non-Apple drives, so there is a chance you will need something like FWB Hard Disk toolkit.

3. Stuffit Expander should be able to open .hqx files on System 6. Not sure if there is a version issue... I'll have to look into this. Stuffit Expander should be able to open most archive files you come across. You will need Compact Pro for .cpt files.

4. Disk Copy 4.2: http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/Disk_Copy/

5. Disk Copy, ResEdit, Norton Utilities 2.x, Stuffit Expander 4.0, SCSI Probe, Compact Pro 1.5

Games: ShufflePuck Cafe, Tetris, Risk, Mac-Man

Edited by aftermac

Question 3: This is a question about .hqx, .sea., and .sit files. What do I need to open these? Will the classic version of Stuffit (on the Mac Plus) open these? The reason I ask is that it didn't seem to recognize the .hqx file, I had to open that using Stuffit Deluxe on my Powerbook laptop.

Oh, and .sea files are Self-Extracting Archives, so all you have to do is run them. No additional software needed. :)

You can probably search around for some of the older games on abadonware sites. Dark Castle should be easy enough to fine. Crystal Quest is another, though later versions required color I think.

The MacPlus was our family's first after the Apple IIe. My dad got one as soon as it came out. I did a lot of HS homework assignments on it, and had it in college. The my wife used it for her first year in grad school before she moved up to an LC 475.

btw aftermac... Sunday... Go Pens!

Now its telling me to please unlock the disk (CD). Why would that be?

Tempest

Is it doing that immediately after inserting the CD? I'm struggling to think of a valid reason why it's asking you to unlock it. Maybe it thinks it needs to be initialized (formatted)? I'll keep thinking on this one. I might have to try and duplicate your setup. Not sure I have a CD 150, though. :ponder:

Which driver did you end up using? Perhaps the other one would yield better results. I'll see if I can dig up FWB CD-ROM toolkit, too.

Sounds like it's trying to write to the volume.

That's kind of what I'm thinking... maybe it's trying to write a desktop file to the disk?

Yeah I think it mentioned something about (dekstop file couldnt be created). Why this one and not the other one I made? I can get the Games one to read now (thanks to the increased Finder memory) but it says the same thing.

I'm using the one you mentioned.

Tempest

Arrgh! Now the internal disk drive has failed. It wont read or initialize disks. I wonder what could have happened to it? I did try to read an old disk that came with the Mac, but it failed and I ejected it without issue. Could that have damaged it somehow?

Tempest

Sounds like it's trying to write to the volume.

That's kind of what I'm thinking... maybe it's trying to write a desktop file to the disk?

Yeah I think it mentioned something about (dekstop file couldnt be created). Why this one and not the other one I made? I can get the Games one to read now (thanks to the increased Finder memory) but it says the same thing.

I'm using the one you mentioned.

Tempest

Install this in your System Folder:

http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/download/desktopmgr201.sit.hqx

This is the page I found it on: http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/system6.html

Arrgh! Now the internal disk drive has failed. It wont read or initialize disks. I wonder what could have happened to it? I did try to read an old disk that came with the Mac, but it failed and I ejected it without issue. Could that have damaged it somehow?

Tempest

I don't think that could have damaged it! :? That sucks if something happened to it.

Have you tried rebooting? Maybe the Finder is just confused.

Tempest

I don't think that could have damaged it! :? That sucks if something happened to it.

Have you tried rebooting? Maybe the Finder is just confused.

Ok it's not the drive. I hooked up an external drive (from my Apple IIGs, but I read they're compatible) and it's giving me the same error. I put Finder's memory back to what it was and no dice. What would cause this all of the sudden?

Tempest

There could be some sort of conflict with the CD ROM driver you're using. Do you have a known-working system disk (without the CD ROM driver) that you can boot from?

Or remove the driver from the System Folder (ie. move it to the desktop) and reboot. I would hate to think you lost your floppy controller.

There could be some sort of conflict with the CD ROM driver you're using. Do you have a known-working system disk (without the CD ROM driver) that you can boot from?

Or remove the driver from the System Folder (ie. move it to the desktop) and reboot. I would hate to think you lost your floppy controller.

No dice. I guess this is a good excuse to get myself an SE. Anyone got one for sale? :)

Tempest

No dice. I guess this is a good excuse to get myself an SE. Anyone got one for sale? :)

Tempest

No, but I might have a Mac Plus mobo you can try. :D

That sucks... I would leave it turned off for a while and come back to it. One issue with the Pluses is that there is no internal fan, so things tend to overheat if left on for hours on end.

You booted from a system disk and the disk drive was non-functional?

System disk seems to boot. Sorta. I only have the System Disk backup from my Mac 512K and it gets to the Welcome to Macintosh screen but then it freaks out and the screen flickers something awful. I'm not sure if it's because its an old system disk or what, but it does read it for a bit. I'm guessing this means that the disk driver is corrupted or something.

Tempest

System disk seems to boot. Sorta. I only have the System Disk backup from my Mac 512K and it gets to the Welcome to Macintosh screen but then it freaks out and the screen flickers something awful. I'm not sure if it's because its an old system disk or what, but it does read it for a bit. I'm guessing this means that the disk driver is corrupted or something.

Tempest

Sounds like you need a known good set of 6.0.8 disks.

Tempest

Sounds like you need a known good set of 6.0.8 disks.

Yeah I was trying to make some (I got the four disks from Apples site), but they're SEA files and my IIgs doesn't know what do do with them. Even if I could get them mounted, I don't think I can make a Mac bootable disk on a IIgs.

Tempest

Yeah I was trying to make some (I got the four disks from Apples site), but they're SEA files and my IIgs doesn't know what do do with them. Even if I could get them mounted, I don't think I can make a Mac bootable disk on a IIgs.

Tempest

I would doubt that the IIgs would be able to "bless" the System Folder on the disk.

Like I mentioned, try letting it cool down for a bit and give it another shot.

If the drive starts reading again, load that Desktop Mgr software into your system folder as I mentioned earlier, and see if you can mount CDs. Apparently, you need it.

If it comes down to it I have another mobo we can pop in there to see if that works. I can also make you a set of working 6.0.8 disks so you can test that theory.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. :)

Does Apple still provide System 6 disk images for download? I know if you poke around enough, you can get system 7.53.

Do you own another Mac that can run classic and have a USB floppy drive? You might be able to make a set of system 6 disks from the images if apple still provides them.

How does the screen flicker? Corrupted graphics or like a bad monitor?

Does Apple still provide System 6 disk images for download? I know if you poke around enough, you can get system 7.53.

Do you own another Mac that can run classic and have a USB floppy drive? You might be able to make a set of system 6 disks from the images if apple still provides them.

How does the screen flicker? Corrupted graphics or like a bad monitor?

Yes the System 6 disks are still on Apples site, that's where I got them. :)

Maybe. I don't have a USB Floppy, but I can get one. Will an IBM one work or does it need to be an Apple one? My G4 Cube is running Tiger but it has classic support. But I read somewhere that the Bless command under OS X doesn't make floppies bootable on an older Mac (no clue if this holds true for Classic Emulation mode as well). I've been meaning to stick System 9 on it, but I don't have disks for that either. :)

The Welcome to Macintosh dialogue box flickers, not the whole screen. It just flashes like it's redrawing itself really really fast over and over.

Tempest