IGNORED

What was your first Intellivision game?

Rev

Mine was either Popeye or Pitfall.We got both games at the same time.follwed by Donkey Kong and a bunch of imagic games including microsurgeon.

I guess mine would be Burgertime since it was packed in with my Intellivision II, but i did receive 1 or 2 other games that same Christmas morning. One of them was Star Strike and not sure about the other.

I never owned one back in the day, but I had two friends in the late 1980s who did. Friend #1 lived close by, and I think his copy of Boxing was the first game I ever played on the system -- I've always remembered the goofy-looking boxers, and the overlays with the "feint" button. If we played any other games, I don't remember them.

My other friend lived farther away, and I remember him having Tower of Doom, Utopia, Snafu, and Sea Battle.

When I bought my Intellivision last year, I got 51 games all at once as part of the lot, so... :)

I got an Atari and my best friend got an Intellivision for Christmas the same year (probably 1980 but maybe 1981). I grew up loving both systems. That same Christmas he received Las Vegas Poker and Blackjack (the pack-in) along with Major League Baseball, Skiing, Space Battle, and another game I can't remember.

My best friend had one when we were in 6th grade (I had a VCS). I think we played Star Strike first. He didn't think much of it as a game, and I agree with him now, but the graphics were awesome for the time! We went on to play Utopia and AD&D, both of which were revelations to me.

Of course, to him it was all somehow lacking because "everyone" had a VCS and he didn't. So we swapped systems for the summer, and we both got to see how the other half lived. I don't recall what he thought at the end of the summer, but I know I was really sorry to give the system up (although I loved my VCS and its games).

The first Intellivision game I had was the pack-in, I guess that would be blackjack and poker. That sounds like a nice safe family game. No political correctness arguments possible with that title! For sure.

I suppose my first 'real' games would be AutoRace, Sea Battle, Space Battle, Triple Action, and Snafu. Those titles epitomize the Intellivision gaming experience to me.

It was great! Get all your homework done the night before and then find out you have a snow day the next morning. So you get to sleep in a little. Get up and get mcdonalds bought in by gramma, go downstairs into the country themed basement with all sorts of wood things and quilty & fluffy blankets and cozy up to the glow of the phosphors. Since we'd be snowed in bigtime, the windows were covered and we needed lights on almost all day long. Your buddies get to come over later in the afternoon and they bring over some other intellvision games like armour battle. After some time we'd get out the 2600 and have a go at the likes of dodge'em, flag capture, missile command, outer space, combat, miniature golf, human cannonball. This would go on for hours and hours. Way past the chicken and macaronni dinner, and way into the night like around 1am or 2am. Since it was a friday snowday. After all the gaming we'd then get going on programming the apple II bbs and ae lines and pirate and trade wares; and endlessly fret about wondering why atari/inty had much better graphics and sound than the apple][ (which costed thousands of dollars more!) We'd done this the entire weekend while the parents came and went and everybody visited at all odd hours. But the thick shag carpeted basement was packed with games and stuff and we'd somehow managed to get a colecovision thrown in there too - zaxxon, ladybug, pepperII, donkey-kong seemed to be the hits. And to wrap up the entire 3 day weekend we somehow requisitioned an atari 800 from one of the bigger kids with star raiders, pacman, missile command, shamus, k-razy (series of games), basic programming, necromancer. This turned out to be one of the best gaming sleepover weekends in my entire life!! tons of systems bought in by everybody and boxes of games; grown-ups upstairs and out-of-the-way, endless supply of sodapop and chips and dip and whateverelse we could uncover. It was cool, we never thought about how the games came into existence, just that they did. Like by magic, we didn't know what a programmer was or any of that! Games seemed to come out of nowhere! A real mysterious entity full of magic made the games we thought. Or some sort of mysterious power from ethereal space made the stuff in the game cartridges, like magic! The games lived in these little boxes. Neato!

Edited by Keatah

Night Stalker. I got a new copy from my great-grandmother for Christmas in 1990 or 1991. She knew I liked video games and must have found it in a clearance bin somewhere, but I didn't own an Intellivision at the time, and indeed I hadn't even heard of the system before. I put it away until I finally expanded my collection to include an Intellivision system, around 2004 or 2005. My great-grandmother was long deceased by that time, but I was finally able to enjoy her gift. It has since been joined by about sixty other Intellivision games.

Night Stalker. I got a new copy from my great-grandmother for Christmas in 1990 or 1991. She knew I liked video games and must have found it in a clearance bin somewhere, but I didn't own an Intellivision at the time, and indeed I hadn't even heard of the system before. I put it away until I finally expanded my collection to include an Intellivision system, around 2004 or 2005. My great-grandmother was long deceased by that time, but I was finally able to enjoy her gift. It has since been joined by about sixty other Intellivision games.

That's a pretty cool story! I remember lots of Intellivision games that were clearanced at Toys R Us around that time. I bought a new Super Pro System there around that time and they asked me if I was sure I wanted to buy it since they couldn't remember the last time someone bought one. I think they tried to sell me a Sega Master System instead :) I also bought a couple of newer games (I think Hover Force and Super Pro Basketball) for $17.99 each. I clearly remember that they had a bunch of Stadium Mud Buggies (also $17.99) but that title didn't appeal to me at the time :(

• Like 1

Burger Time came with the system that I received for Christmas, 1983 (my first console). However, prior to getting the system, I purchased Ice Trek and Swords & Serpents and had both manuals almost memorized before actually getting to play them.

- Jim -

Night Stalker and it ruled my 8 year-old world. Guns 'n bats 'n bullets 'n spiderwebs 'n running from a robot in a maze! Did I mention the guns and the robot and how kick-ass it is when you shoot the robot (with a GUN, btw) and he explodes?!?!?! omg.

And this was back in the mid80s, a few weeks before the Night Stalker serial killer's ID hit the news. That gave the game that extra bit of juicy darkness.

My mom had Burgertime, sis had Frog Bog, and my dad had Poker & Blackjack, but Night Stalker? Night Stalker was mine.

Edited by Smatchmo

• 1 month later...

Baseball. I was at a friend's house who owned an Intellivision, and I thought he was the luckiest, richest bastard in the world and I hated him for it.

After playing Baseball on the Atari 2600, and then playing Baseball on Intellivision with the ability to grab any player in the outfield I chose, I thought video games had reached their peak.