IGNORED

Season 1 Game 1 *Burger Time*

Well, I managed to move mine up a little bit more:

btime2.jpg

I really really hate that Level 7 board! If you're stuck in the situation depicted in this screenshot (this is level 14), and if you don't have any peppers, it seems to be totally impossible to reach that last bun on the right; the enemies stop you no matter which way you go and there's no place to run or lure them away to. If only there was a connecting ladder between that bottommost ledge and the ledge underneath the one the bun is sitting on, I could probably do it. So, the (obvious) lesson is: economize your peppers!

Speaking of peppers, one annoying quirk of Intellivision BurgerTime that I've noticed: if you try to pepper an enemy standing very close to you, the pepper sometimes appears behind him and misses, allowing him to kill you. It should not be possible to throw pepper through/past your enemies. This is probably because the enemies and pepper clouds are all moving objects and the Intellivision is using collision detection to determine a hit or a miss, but a little extra logic to stun enemies between you and the pepper cloud would have been helpful. But, despite that issue, I still think it's a great port of BurgerTime.

185400 ...almost completed level 14.

I had 4 life left with one bun to go ... but no peppers.

post-25394-126608415474_thumb.jpg

Uh oh i'm getting nervous now, you guys are breathing down my neck lol. I hope i don't have to step my game up. I believe i made it to level 20 when i died, so you guys are getting more points then me in fewer levels.

I got off to a terrible start by missing out on peppers and losing 2 men on the first round. However, I rebounded in levels 5 & 6 to up my score before dying on level 7. Surprisingly, I still beat my previous high score even though I didn't get as far through the game.

post-274-126619000012_thumb.jpg

Hmm, today I got off to a good start with not losing lives but couldn't hold my peppers. I think I had 8 lives and 4 (maybe 5) peppers when I got to Level 7. I passed it through brute force and went on to post a new personal high score of 105,350.

post-274-126626326234_thumb.jpg

What's the highest score until now?

Looks like mine is (at least so far)! Whooooo!!!

btime3.jpg

235,700 (played on the original hardware). This is level 20, by which point the enemy AI seems to get "smarter" and more unpredictable. The enemies start getting better at avoiding the more obvious traps, and it isn't so easy to "lure" them in a particular direction by dangling the chef's feet below the floor or by stepping onto ladders. They also begin walking faster than the chef if the level drags on too long. Because my old patterns had stopped working after level 14, I just concentrated on surviving and collecting peppers whenever I could; next time, I'll have to see if I can detect any predictable "rules" in the AI at these higher levels so I can develop new patterns.

• Like 1

What's the highest score until now?

Looks like mine is (at least so far)! Whooooo!!!

post-3819-126646785178_thumb.jpg

235,700 (played on the original hardware). This is level 20, by which point the enemy AI seems to get "smarter" and more unpredictable. The enemies start getting better at avoiding the more obvious traps, and it isn't so easy to "lure" them in a particular direction by dangling the chef's feet below the floor or by stepping onto ladders. They also begin walking faster than the chef if the level drags on too long. Because my old patterns had stopped working after level 14, I just concentrated on surviving and collecting peppers whenever I could; next time, I'll have to see if I can detect any predictable "rules" in the AI at these higher levels so I can develop new patterns.

Nice Job. I guess i need to give it another shot. I haven't played since i made that big score. And it looks like i have my work cut out for me.

• Like 1

I haven't played Burgertime very much at all -- at least on the Intellivision, I'd be surprised if it were more than five games or so -- but decided I ought to give it a shot before the HSC changes games. To my surprise, I got a halfway-respectable score of 44,250:

post-6067-126671140173_thumb.jpg

That Level 7 board is a real nightmare, though. No chance if you don't have a good fund of peppers.

Edited by thegoldenband