Photo

New Sega Console

23 replies to this topic

#1 Mendon ONLINE  

Mendon

River Patroller

• 4,835 posts

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2010 7:54 AM

CLICK HERE to read the story about a new Sega console being released this year. The console comes packed with 50 classic Sega games and two wireless controllers that have "motion control" built in.

Story doesn't say if the console will see a North America release but hopefully it does.

Mendon

Attached Thumbnails

• new-sega-console-hitting-summer-0.jpg

#2 roland p OFFLINE  

roland p

Stargunner

• 1,865 posts
  • $23

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2010 7:58 AM

It would be cool if you could download all the roms with it...

Edit- You can't. So it isn't cool :P

Edited by roland p, Tue Feb 2, 2010 8:09 AM.

#3 Chris Leach OFFLINE  

Chris Leach

River Patroller

• 4,489 posts
  • “Rotten wood cannot be carved”

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2010 7:58 AM

Why does it look like this i in someone's basement or garage? Do you already own it?s

#4 monzamess OFFLINE  

monzamess

Dragonstomper

• 513 posts

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2010 7:59 AM

Posted Image

#5 Rybags OFFLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 12,681 posts

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2010 8:00 AM

Sounds like crap to me.

No way is a 50 Pound piece of hardware going to "emulate the Wii".

In fact, even at ten times the price, it wouldn't be happening - Nintendo would sue the shirts off them.

If they'd just said it was a system that had some built in games and took Megadrive/SMS cartridges as well, then it would be a whole lot more believable.

ed - on the other hand, reading the article again, it seems to have been written by a noob, who is using a more generic interpretation of "emulate", ie the thing uses wireless remotes like the Wii does.

Edited by Rybags, Tue Feb 2, 2010 8:03 AM.

#6 MagitekAngel OFFLINE  

MagitekAngel

River Patroller

• 2,152 posts

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2010 8:01 AM

I'd have to reserve my judgments until I saw the new games in action. Truth be told, I think we'd all rather see a Dreamcast 2 or something, as opposed to a knockoff Wii with Genesis games preloaded.

#7 tisaperfectdayelise OFFLINE  

tisaperfectdayelise

Moonsweeper

• 421 posts

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2010 8:11 AM

I'd have to reserve my judgments until I saw the new games in action. Truth be told, I think we'd all rather see a Dreamcast 2 or something, as opposed to a knockoff Wii with Genesis games preloaded.

I agree with you completely. It looks like those knockoff Wiimotes were made from hacked Logitech universal remote controls...

#8 monzamess OFFLINE  

monzamess

Dragonstomper

• 513 posts

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2010 8:31 AM

A truly new console would be nice but at this point they could at least rehash Saturn and DC games instead of re-rehashing the 8- and 16-bit stuff. But I guess the technology for a system that sophisticated, with a bunch of built-in games, is just not at the "cheap toy" price point yet.

#9 Tr3vor OFFLINE  

Tr3vor

Stargunner

• 1,906 posts
  • AAARG!

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2010 8:43 AM

will nintendo allow this? doesnt nintendo have a no emu policy? SUE INCOMING

#10 carmel_andrews OFFLINE  

carmel_andrews

Quadrunner

• 13,297 posts

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2010 8:59 AM

if you read it CAREFULLY it says, 'licenced by sega', which probably means that sega will have nothing to do with marketing, manufacturing, selling or promoting the device, basically it's a 3rd party product sold with sega's blessing/approval etc

Perhaps some nice person/company can rejig the atari lynx or jaguar hardware and release that as a modern entertainment medium (and i don't mean in the stylee of the flashback series)

#11 Emehr OFFLINE  

Emehr

River Patroller

• 3,770 posts
  • Happiness is... a chomping Pac-Man!

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2010 9:56 AM

The thing looks like some bastard offspring of a Wii and Xbox360 mating. :thumbsdown:

#12 Wickeycolumbus OFFLINE  

Wickeycolumbus

River Patroller

• 4,732 posts

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2010 2:21 PM

Looks like it's a Zone (Chintendo Vii clone) running a Genesis emulator.

#13 nathanallan OFFLINE  

nathanallan

Quadrunner

• 5,582 posts

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2010 5:02 PM

right, it's a rebadged clone, running Sega software. They had these for sale at the dollar store for $40 over Christmas, something else with the name Zone in it. Covered extensively at sega-16. I'll get it if it's cheap, but not holding my breath.

#14 moycon OFFLINE  

moycon

Quadrunner

• 21,366 posts
  • moycon?? What the hell is that??

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2010 6:40 PM

I've seen systems like this for sale at CVS. (The ones I saw just had generic games that looked like they would fit right at home on a SNES or Genesis) the controls were wireless, but for the most part you just turned them sideways and used them like an old school controller.

I think it's safe to say it's nothing like a Wii.

You got me all excited Mendon. I was expecting Dreamcast 2!!

#15 Nall3k OFFLINE  

Nall3k

Moonsweeper

• 453 posts

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2010 8:54 PM

So does this mean Sega is following Atari's path with 'Flashback' consoles? I too was hoping for DC2!

#16 Cebus Capucinis OFFLINE  

Cebus Capucinis

Not-so-secretly Trolling

• 8,013 posts
  • Wiseass Extraordinaire

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2010 9:04 PM

They had these for sale at the dollar store for $40

What kind of dollar stores do you have down there where items cost more than a dollar??? :D

Agreed, though, it doesn't look like it's worth much -- just another cheap-o knock-off third party SEGA clone.

#17 nathanallan OFFLINE  

nathanallan

Quadrunner

• 5,582 posts

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2010 9:26 PM

So does this mean Sega is following Atari's path with 'Flashback' consoles? I too was hoping for DC2!

Right! Sega has worked with others to release better tv games than this-- Radica made a cool one once, they could have done another with MORE games, maybe in a set-top like they did, but make it look more like a Sega and not a Vii.

What kind of dollar stores do you have down there where items cost more than a dollar??? :D

Agreed, though, it doesn't look like it's worth much -- just another cheap-o knock-off third party SEGA clone.

;) I know it, what a rip off! If it's cheap, I'll get it and review it if nothing else, then set it in the bag it gets bought in and shelve it.

#18 Mendon ONLINE  

Mendon

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,835 posts

Posted Wed Feb 3, 2010 6:07 AM

You got me all excited Mendon. I was expecting Dreamcast 2!!

Sorry.... didn't mean to mislead you or anyone else. Perhaps I should have reworked the title of my post.

I really don't need another method of playing Genesis games as I have a Genesis console and many game carts plus several disk/UMD collections including Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. But because I'm a Sega junkie, I would purchase this console if it were available here.

I would much prefer having a Master System console rather than a Genesis one but I seriously doubt if Sega will ever license or manufacture a Master System, Saturn, or DC emulator console.

Mendon

#19 Hyper_Eye OFFLINE  

Hyper_Eye

River Patroller

• 2,722 posts
  • IDSPISPOPD

Posted Wed Feb 3, 2010 8:47 AM

I would rather get the Yobo FC3 Plus: http://www.ubergizmo...3_consoles.html

Posted Image

I already have an NES, SNES, and Genesis and they are all hooked up and working. I want one of these anyway. I enjoy these clones. I have a Yobo FC already that I regularly use to preserve my NES and I like it a lot even though it isn't perfect.

Here is a video showing some of the more troublesome cartridges working on this unit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z7J9RjhzIo

#20 Atarifever OFFLINE  

Atarifever

Quadrunner

• 5,024 posts
  • Killer of Robotrons

Posted Wed Feb 3, 2010 2:00 PM

There's one here that says (with the appropriate punctuation and emphasis) right beneath their sign:
Where everything is a dollar! Or More!!

They underlined and double exclaimed the fact that stuff could be more than a dollar. We already had stores for that, Dollar Barn. They're called "every other store in the world."

Edited by Atarifever, Wed Feb 3, 2010 2:00 PM.

#21 Video ONLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 7,062 posts

Posted Wed Feb 3, 2010 4:06 PM

I wouldn't mind an FC3, I'd get one if I could find one that didn't need paypall to get it. I got all the systems, but one convienant system that does all the games in the same footprint as any one of the others would be awesome (and I hear they got GREAT compatibility on that system, not that I have that much trouble as I stay away frmom most of the games that have issues)

There's one here that says (with the appropriate punctuation and emphasis) right beneath their sign:

They underlined and double exclaimed the fact that stuff could be more than a dollar. We already had stores for that, Dollar Barn. They're called "every other store in the world."

:lol: yeah, We got Family Dollar, and Dollar General, they are like you said, $1 and up, and like most stores, they do carry some cool stuff though sometimes, even games and such (mostly older stuff, but at least their trying)

Now we do have a Dollar Tree store, and everything is literally $1, or less there. I couldn't believe the kind of stuff they got in there, some of it HAS to be stolen, rejects, seconds... or something, cause they carry items that there is simply no way they sell for $1 or less.

#22 nathanallan OFFLINE  

nathanallan

Quadrunner

• 5,582 posts

Posted Wed Feb 3, 2010 10:03 PM

I wouldn't mind an FC3, I'd get one if I could find one that didn't need paypall to get it. I got all the systems, but one convienant system that does all the games in the same footprint as any one of the others would be awesome (and I hear they got GREAT compatibility on that system, not that I have that much trouble as I stay away frmom most of the games that have issues)

:lol: yeah, We got Family Dollar, and Dollar General, they are like you said, $1 and up, and like most stores, they do carry some cool stuff though sometimes, even games and such (mostly older stuff, but at least their trying)

Now we do have a Dollar Tree store, and everything is literally $1, or less there. I couldn't believe the kind of stuff they got in there, some of it HAS to be stolen, rejects, seconds... or something, cause they carry items that there is simply no way they sell for $1 or less.

I know what you mean, the ones here have 4-packs of D cells, USB cables of all kinds and other cables-- audio, video, pretty much anything but HDMI, even firewire cables for a buck! I love skipping that trip to compusa for a single cable. Dollar Tree!

#23 Austin ONLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 8,753 posts

Posted Wed Feb 3, 2010 10:37 PM

Come to think of it, I think this same company has a Zone sports-oriented console available as well. They have one at my local CVS. Honestly, the controllers felt pretty bad.. If it is the same company afterall making this Sega one, I would stay far, far away from the unit, unless it has some truly bad-ass games in it (unlikely though that it's anything we haven't seen in any previous compilation)..

#24 Shawn Sr. OFFLINE  

Shawn Sr.

Atardid

• 13,003 posts

Posted Wed Feb 3, 2010 10:41 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z7J9RjhzIo

That guy is a fucking retard. The game genie, Sonic & Knuckles,ect DO NOT work on the FC3. It's missing the address line from the cart port to the CPU to run the add on cart games. Notice he doesn't show actually playing with codes entered OR Sonic 3 attached to Sonic & Knuckles? Nope!

Anyhow the FC3 is a great little console but the SNES portion is not super reliable from my experience with multiple FC3 units. If you got one that works well it truely is a great space saver and an overall decent clone. You will want to mod a pair of 1st party SNES controllers for the best gaming experience as the FC3's controllers are fine for Genesis and NES use but are not mapped correctly compaired to real Nintendo SNES controllers.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users