IGNORED

ADAMCon 22, June 18-20 2010

newcoleco

Introduction :

ADAMCon is a group that still exists after 22 years (that's the 22 means). About 12 years ago, most members of this group decided to stop going to an annual convention concerning an outdated computer; but a small group wanted to keep going even if it's just for fun and see again some friends. I did share my passion for the ColecoVision with them during the last 5 years, and now I'm involved into the organisation of the Coleco Adam users group annual convention. I did get my copy of the ColecoVision programming document because of this group, and I did meet great people in person including coleconut and Dale Wick.

This summer, June 18-20, it's convention time again. Details are still in discussion. We try to contact at least one person to take a look at the convention and talk about his experience at Coleco Industries. Meanwhile, since this summer marks the 10th year of my first ColecoVision homebrew game released in cartridge format, I'm working on a special project... nothing done yet, but it should works as expected and be ready in time.

You're invited to participate or just say hello to the convention, it's as you wish. You can talk about and sale your games and products you're making, you can give a testimony about Coleco Industries, prototypes, how you was involved into the homebrew scene, etc. The idea is to have a great time around the Coleco passion and meet others in person.

Like a big familly, we try to eat at the same restaurants and take this time to relax, but you can do what you want.

Now for the details

WHERE : LAVAL (MONREAL), PROVINCE OF QUEBEC, CANADA.

STARTS : FRIDAY, JUNE 18, AM.

ENDS : SUNDAY, JUNE 20, LATE.

COST : THE ENTIRE CONVENTION INCLUDING BREAKFASTS, LUNCHS, AND OUTSIDE ACTIVITY : $400CND which is actually $375US.*

* if there is enough people registering for the convention, the convention t-shirts will be free of charge for everyone, one per person.

Planning : This planning may change depending on who's coming, but it gives a general idea of the convention. Starts friday June 18, at 9am, but usually it never starts before 10am. After the "welcome" words, the convention plan is revealed and a first presentation starts, after lunch, presentations continue. Saturday, it's convention time again and then outside activity to visit the city, and later there is a special chat session to talk with those who can't be there, and sometimes playing games for fun or as a competition. Sunday, it's a full day convention but usually ends soon to let a more serious discussion going on which concerns more the ADAMCon members than visitors and we decide where the next convention will be. For dinner, around 18h, it's the banquet time, and then we take pictures of the group and win prizes with a simple lotery. Monday morning, return to reality, some persons want to say goodbye before leaving and it's always an emotional moment.

If you're interrested to talk and participate, full time or partially, let me know as soon as possible.

$375? That's some serious money, but reasonable I guess for three days of good food and sleeping arrangements. It would be cool to be with a bunch of people who are into the Colecovision (and weird: I didn't even have that luxury when I bought mine new in 1982... Nobody I knew had one. Friends told me I should go with Atari, since they had the biggest library and the 5200, and besides that, computers were taking over anyway).

Also, doesn't everybody up there speak French? "Je ne comprende pas." (from memory of 9th grade class, probably not correct)

Wouldn't I need a translator to find the nearest arcade and stuff and get back to the airport on time?

$375? That's some serious money, but reasonable I guess for three days of good food and sleeping arrangements. It would be cool to be with a bunch of people who are into the Colecovision (and weird: I didn't even have that luxury when I bought mine new in 1982... Nobody I knew had one. Friends told me I should go with Atari, since they had the biggest library and the 5200, and besides that, computers were taking over anyway).

Also, doesn't everybody up there speak French? "Je ne comprende pas." (from memory of 9th grade class, probably not correct)

Wouldn't I need a translator to find the nearest arcade and stuff and get back to the airport on time?

Actually, you shouldn't worry. Over 50% of Montreal and Laval inhabitants are bilingual. You'll have no trouble finding someone who can direct you to the nearest airport, or anywhere else. For arcades, there's only one or two in Laval, IIRC, and I'm not even sure they're still open for business. You'll find mostly boring gun-based games and racing games anyway. The movie theaters (MegaPlex Pont-Viau and Colossus) do have a nice selection of arcade games, but again, it's mostly racing and gun stuff.

Nah, thats a misconception. You can get by very well totally in English in Montreal. But its kinda cool to practice your French anyway.

I will be there Sat and Sun for sure, maybe Friday. Many in the core group are very knowledgeable about the CV and the ADAM, pushing it to the limits.

But as Daniel says, half of it is the comraderie. And if you can only make it for one or two days, there is normally an opportunity to pay a prorated amount and not the full convention package price.

Try and make it...

post-3651-126583170681_thumb.jpg

* WORK IN PROGRESS POSTER *

I know, it's not really original. but, which other year it will be a good time to refer to the movie 2010 space odyssey - the year of the first contact? there is a 2010 videogame for the colecovision, and another for the coleco adam... I can't not talk about it.

"First contact" between ADAMCon and CCJVQ members, I'm a member of both groups and it's about time that the majority of my Coleco friends meet each others.

The 3 black spaces will be replaced by a ColecoVision cartridge, a Coleco controller and a ColecoVision game system... well, it's my concept.

It's good that you announce this year's ADAMCon in this part of the forum, but there's also another sub-forum, namely "Events" under the "Community" section of the AA forums, where this announcement should be made. :)

Sure. but I'm not ready to announce it "at large", I prefer to test it here and there first and see the reaction.

• 2 months later...

I'll be there for a day for sure!

This will be the first time I'm going to ADAMcon

I'll bring my ADAM prototype previously seen on Ebay

Hope someone will figure it out what this module is...

Maybe I can help you, do you have a picture or can you explain what the prototype looks like.

Back when I was running NIAD, I was lucky enough to come across a lot of unreleased software,

hardware, etc. for the system through NIAD owner (Lyle Marschand) and the help of a number of

members who had the great and unexected fortune to meet a former Coleco employee. In 1992 we

came across a couple of prototype hardware items as well as some software including:

- 3 1/4" 256K Internal Disk Drive (yes 3 1/4" and it replaced one of the data drives

- Internal 1200 Baud Modem with Telecomm. software

- 2 disk version of Jeopardy

and a modified Expansion Module #3 that contains a custom chip-set and was used for formatting

digital data packs. It was powered by a ColecoVision Power Supply.

You can read about these items in the last two issues of the NIAD Newsletter which are all in

PDF format at:

http://www.sacnews.net/adamcomputer/index.html

Jim

I'll be there for a day for sure!

This will be the first time I'm going to ADAMcon

I'll bring my ADAM prototype previously seen on Ebay

Hope someone will figure it out what this module is...

Maybe I can help you, do you have a picture or can you explain what the prototype looks like.

Back when I was running NIAD, I was lucky enough to come across a lot of unreleased software,

hardware, etc. for the system through NIAD owner (Lyle Marschand) and the help of a number of

members who had the great and unexected fortune to meet a former Coleco employee. In 1992 we

came across a couple of prototype hardware items as well as some software including:

- 3 1/4" 256K Internal Disk Drive (yes 3 1/4" and it replaced one of the data drives

- Internal 1200 Baud Modem with Telecomm. software

- 2 disk version of Jeopardy

and a modified Expansion Module #3 that contains a custom chip-set and was used for formatting

digital data packs. It was powered by a ColecoVision Power Supply.

You can read about these items in the last two issues of the NIAD Newsletter which are all in

PDF format at:

http://www.sacnews.net/adamcomputer/index.html

Jim

Check here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/161983-adam-prototype-module/page__fromsearch__1

• 2 months later...

My playlist of videos about the convention ADAMCon 22, 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/p/F31802D788BD42EA

The audio is super low when I try to play these videos. I have the video volume maxed and my laptop maxed. Is it me, or is it difficult to hear the audio?

Yeah, I had the same issue. I don't think we missed much from what I saw though.

The audio is super low when I try to play these videos. I have the video volume maxed and my laptop maxed. Is it me, or is it difficult to hear the audio?

In person, the sound quality was just fine, even too loud sometimes like the sound effect for the train in the SmartLOGO presentation.

You can download these videos on your computer and boost the audio track as you wish. Here, I'm just doing a montage of various presentations done during the convention, not making a tv-show. If you think you can do better, go to the next convention and record it in your way. And if there was a way to increase the volume for the audio track in MovieMaker maybe we'll not have this discussion about low volume issue.

As for the "not missing much" remark... Depending on your view about ColecoVision and Coleco ADAM, these videos may be more or less in your field of interest. If you expected a show with previews of new Coleco videogames, you'll be disappointed almost all the time. But, the convention is really good for programmers and fans looking for all kind of gadgets and informations regarding ColecoVision and Coleco ADAM computer.

More videos soon

Edited by newcoleco

In person, the sound quality was just fine, even too loud sometimes like the sound effect for the train in the SmartLOGO presentation.

You can download these videos on your computer and boost the audio track as you wish. Here, I'm just doing a montage of various presentations done during the convention, not making a tv-show. If you think you can do better, go to the next convention and record it in your way. And if there was a way to increase the volume for the audio track in MovieMaker maybe we'll not have this discussion about low volume issue.

As for the "not missing much" remark... Depending on your view about ColecoVision and Coleco ADAM, these videos may be more or less in your field of interest. If you expected a show with previews of new Coleco videogames, you'll be disappointed almost all the time. But, the convention is really good for programmers and fans looking for all kind of gadgets and informations regarding ColecoVision and Coleco ADAM computer.

More videos soon

Daniel,

Tremendoues work on the ADAMcon Videos! It is very much appreciated and I anxiously await each and every posting you put up on your YouTube page!

As far as any audio issue... I HAVE NOT experienced any issues like some others have, but then again I am viewing on my desktop and a Sony TV.

Once again, congratulations on the success of ADAMcon 22 and looking forward to meeting you any many others in Cleveland next year.

Jim

I've find out how to get the Playlist link instead of giving the link for a Flash movie player. I've added a few more videos, more to come.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=F31802D788BD42EA

Thanks for posting my BasicVision presentation. Or at least the first quarter of it. ;)

The whole thing lasted over an hour, so I'm not surprised Daniel "ran out of tape", so to speak. :D

Sorry if I offended you Daniel. I love all you do for the CV/Adam community.

And I am sorry for over-reacting; it's the kind of reflex I had to develop since I'm dealing with the wild Internet.

I'm still working on the montage of the other presentations.

I'm thinking of skiping my own presentation... I don't know if it's because I don't like seeing myself speaking engrish or if it's because I want to change the format to be more tutorial with again the robotic voices as a narator (like all my other videos on Youtube) What do you think?

Edited by newcoleco

And I am sorry for over-reacting; it's the kind of reflex I had to develop since I'm dealing with the wild Internet.

I'm still working on the montage of the other presentations.

I'm thinking of skiping my own presentation... I don't know if it's because I don't like seeing myself speaking engrish or if it's because I want to change the format to be more tutorial with again the robotic voices as a narator (like all my other videos on Youtube) What do you think?

Daniel, please don't sell yourself short! I'm sure I'm not the only one that would enjoy viewing the videos of your presentations at ADAMcon

Jim