IGNORED

Lynx coding contest

Lynxman

I been working on a project but got stranded in some details, and been trying to solve this without succeeding. The core problem is a memory issue as I'm trying to implement minimax for my game, and another problem is that of graduation/work at the same time... anyway, I'll need until the end of July to finish at least a decent demo (whatever that'll going to be).

Curious after the results!

I been working on a project but got stranded in some details, and been trying to solve this without succeeding. The core problem is a memory issue as I'm trying to implement minimax for my game,

Well, tell us maybe we can help.

I been working on a project but got stranded in some details, and been trying to solve this without succeeding. The core problem is a memory issue as I'm trying to implement minimax for my game,

Well, tell us maybe we can help.

Thanks for offering! However, I should have stated my issue a bit different: since I started working on it, I had to re-implement quite some parts of my code to deal with memory issues. Now its the 3rd time I'm redoing this and I have found a very useful BASIC-implementation which seems to use a good representation to fit into memory. But since its the 3rd time, and I have some other stuff to finish before the end of July + a new job. So at this moment its mostly a time issue :P but maybe you can inform me a good way to debug? I been using text-output from tgi in cc65 but its not the fancied way.

but maybe you can inform me a good way to debug? I been using text-output from tgi in cc65 but its not the fancied way.

use the debug version of handy emulator together with the "unuseful" opcodes which produce debug output (opcodes which would do nothing on a real 6502), look into the handy documentaion.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm sorry to inform I won't be making the deadline which is one day from now.. I'm in the middle of another project (also a game) which demands all my time at the moment (study related, and need to finish it in order to start graduating). I hope there are quite some contestants who can submit something cool :) I'll try and finish my game after I wrap up this current project. Good luck to all the coders!

Hello all,

i am surprised!

The Content end 2 days ago.

And i got nothing. :(

Lynxman

That's very sad. Here you created an easy, convenient way to get programs on the Lynx, you hold a contest with some very cool prizes from your personal collection, and nothing.

I hope a few people just lost track of the deadline.

Either way Lynxman, thank you for hosting this contest. You tried to get us some new Lynx games, and it is appreciated. :)

Cheers,

Smeg

Is it maybe an idea to extend the date? I have to admit, for me to finish my project I need until September I think.. I got involved in way too many projects at the same time that I'm forced to put my personal stuff in the freezer for the moment (quite sad). I would really like to see a few demos/games released at the same time. Are there many people who emailed you for the contest? I know I did :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hum... I must say I find this really disappointing.

Lynxman offered some really nice prices at his own cost, yet nobody participated expect Ninjabba who was just late.

Did any others ever contact Lynxman and said they would participate? Will there be an extension for the date? Or was there little to no feedback to begin with so it makes little sense to extend the date?

If that´s the case it is really sad... it seems like the Lynx-scene mostly depends on matashen atm...

I wanted to enter in the contest.

I even started to prototype a part of my idea (no graph, only basis of gameplay), but I had overload of work, and mainly programming stuff. Usually, when my job is mainly programming, I'm not in the mood to code for my own pleasure at home (I do it when i have lot of bureaucratic stuff at work :D), so I did not take/find time to work on the game :(

Then came vacations and bad health...

But I keep the idea in my mind, I will come back to it when I will feel the need to code the Lynx again...

Same here, I really, really wanted to do a little game for this competition, but I have had a heavy programming workload at work all summer and almost no vacation. :sad:

Maybe Lynxman will give us more time to finish the ideas, is 6 months enough or need all time until summer 2011?

other ideas to keep the planed projects alive?

regards

Matthias

How about a game coding contest where you are given a sprite sheet that contains an animated main character, 2 or 3 animated enemies, some background tiles e.g. platforms, ladders, doors, weapons, shots, explosions (enough for a variety of games) and you make a game using only the artwork supplied. If all the mini games had a goal they could be joined together to form levels of a more complex game. Unfortunately I can't supply a suitable sprite/tile sheet for the contest.

How about a game coding contest where you are given a sprite sheet that contains an animated main character, 2 or 3 animated enemies, some background tiles e.g. platforms, ladders, doors, weapons, shots, explosions (enough for a variety of games) and you make a game using only the artwork supplied. If all the mini games had a goal they could be joined together to form levels of a more complex game. Unfortunately I can't supply a suitable sprite/tile sheet for the contest.

We had this idea over at the Jagware forums a few months back - it really is a good idea! :)

We had this idea over at the Jagware forums a few months back - it really is a good idea! :)

If all participants agree to set aside some common RAM locations then in-game variables like lives, energy, level number, time remaining etc. could be passed between games to make everything gel together seamlessly.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Last week, there was a speed coding contest at the AC2012

http://www.yaronet.c...?sl=72&s=146544

I made a little game (nyan cat http://devlynx.ti-fr.com/AC2012/nyan.lnx) : you are nyan cat, and you have to take stars when they explode, for each star you get, you win a color on the rainbow...

Edited by vince
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

I know this is a somewhat dead thread, but I think once LX.Net updates his tutorial and Karri/Wookie get the code a little more under control, all positive thoughts no complaints!, I think it would be possible to do this, I think the problem last time was for the average programmer, which I would qualify being as, we just weren't able to figure it out on our own.

I know I have a couple of game ideas, as do a couple of other members, so I think there is a real possibility that we could pull this off!

-Grant

I still think that a common sprite sheet (as I mentioned previously in post 39) would be a good idea. That way programmers can just code their game and not have to worry about needing a pixel artist. Plus its interesting to see what game styles people make with the sprites that are made available.

I still think that a common sprite sheet (as I mentioned previously in post 39) would be a good idea. That way programmers can just code their game and not have to worry about needing a pixel artist. Plus its interesting to see what game styles people make with the sprites that are made available.

I think that is a really good idea, then its a focus on gameplay and concept, not who is the fastest at making artwork, its more of a focus on what people do with the supplied artwork.

*EDIT* I wonder if we could enlist the help of PAC-MAN-RED to do all the sprites for the contest.

Edited by disjaukifa

I think a common anything would be good for newbies. I'm all for integrated development environments with included ready-to-compile examples. I wonder if something like NESICIDE could be subverted towards Lynx development?

http://www.nesicide.com/?s=about

Also, did somebody say sprites?

post-13304-0-42970000-1349808452_thumb.jpg

Edited by theloon