Lynxman, on Wed Feb 3, 2010 7:40 AM, said:
I would like to start a Lynx coding contest. The idea is to have people create a brand new game, demo or application.
Here are the rules:
- Start: Now
- End: July 31th 2010.
- Winners will be announced by the end of August, 2010.
- This contest is open to everyone, regardless of past Lynx coding history.
- The use of my FlashCard is not mandatory for developing, but certainly use it if it helps.
- Though I would prefer all entries to be brand new and never-before-seen, if it is something previously released, the submitted version must be improved in some significant way(s).
- The game/application/demo must be able to run on real hardware.
- I will not accept any music/sprites, etc ripped out of existing games/applications/demos. They must be original.
- I will be the judge, so all decisions about the winner(s) will be solely up to me. (for german lawyers: der Rechtsweg ist ausgeschloßen!) All decisions are final. However, I reserve the right to ask others for their opinion(s).
- the winner(s) agree to give me the right to make up to 50 Carts with the winning game/application/demo, if I so choose. I reserve the right to give these carts away for free, or If I sell these carts, monetary compensation will be discussed with the winner(s) prior to any sales.
Once this run is completed, the ownership rights to the game/application/demo reverts back to the creator(s).
1st prize: the FlashCard alpha prototype Number 2 - this FlashCard was used by Matshen during the development of Lynxopoly. This Card has the same specifications as the Board 1 FlashCards. It uses the same Firmware. The main difference is the physical size of the card. It is more than twice as long than the other FlashCards. Please see pictures.
2nd - 10th prize(s): Depending on the quality of the entries, there may prizes awarded up to 10th place. These prizes include: Yastuna 1 & 2, Rygar's competition cart, Lynxopoly etc. Decisions as to which prizes each winner receives will be made by me, on a case-by-case basis.
NOTE – I reserve the right to not declare any winner(s). If the quality of the entries is deemed too low, if no entries are considered original enough, etc, no prizes will be awarded.
To join this contest, please send me a PM with a basic description of your intended entry.
I would like to know ahead of time what you plan to create, to avoid any possible duplication of effort(s). I don't want all entrants making the same game. :-)
There will be a list of the entrants posted in this thread, and i will post updates inside this thread as the contest progresses.
The ultimate goal is to promote development on our beloved Lynx system. This way, we all are winners in the end!
Good luck everyone!
Lynxman, hope you get lots of entries
just a suggestion though
As someone here seemed to intimate, some programmers aren't good in the sprite designing or gfx department and conversely some pixel artistes aren't good in the programming or coding department (irrespective/regardless of programming language)
So the suggestion is, that you have 2 competitions, one for the best game engine/game logic etc and one for the best gfx/sprite designs etc, it might foster co-operation betw. programmers and pixel artistes and that will benefit you since you get more and better quality entries
In regards to 'original' gfx/sprite designs etc i think you have to be a bit more flexible, since if you think about it, you can trace practically any games gfx or sprite design to something that appeared previously, so i guess you won't entertain a BBSB/miner 2049'r inspired game or a marble madness inspired game or a turrican inspired game or an elite etc etc inspired game (since these games would essentually be borrowing designs or concepts from the very games that inspired their creation etc (or to be a bit cynical here, you won't entertain a pacman clone, an SI or SR clone or a DK/DK Jnr clone etc)