IGNORED

New Version A/V Composite Mod for ColecoVision

Yurkie

Purchased one modded Colecovision unit and received it today. All I can say is amazing :) Very recomended seller and service!

I have several modded consoles that I will sell for $100 or complete sets with controllers and power supply for $175, you get the cord included with either the set or the console. First buyer of a complete set gets a free ColecoVision Box with Styrofoam insert. See my other thread for posted pictures.

Now thru Friday, I am offering the mod service for $48 that's $7 off. I will knock $7 off the price of a modded console or a complete set by $7 also.

• Like 1

Purchased one modded Colecovision unit and received it today. All I can say is amazing :) Very recomended seller and service!

I have several modded consoles that I will sell for $100 or complete sets with controllers and power supply for $175, you get the cord included with either the set or the console. First buyer of a complete set gets a free ColecoVision Box with Styrofoam insert. See my other thread for posted pictures.

Now thru Friday, I am offering the mod service for $48 that's $7 off. I will knock $7 off the price of a modded console or a complete set by $7 also.

Hello Yurkie. I am very interested in purchasing a Colecovision from you. I currently have two working Colecovisions that I would be willing to send you one or both units to reduce the cost, I see you will refund $80 for a working unit.

I am in Canada so both my Colecovisions have bilingual text on them. I DEFINATLY want an American english only Colecovision in return. I also really like the controller mods you do to the controllers with the ball knob and straight cord. I think I'm good for powersupply. How do I know the powersupply is good or bad?

So if I send you 1 ColecoVision and two controllers how nuch for a modded and refurbished unit? What kind of a price am I looking at?

What about if I send you 2 ColecoVisions and 4 controllers? What pice then?

I hope this is clear, I'm kind of lost myself, LOL

Edited by SHaMROCK 73

Console above Sold

I am not currently offering exchange credit. I am not able to edit my title, so I can't remove that from the thread.

Please check out my new posting for a complete ColecoVision set with refurbished controllers for $159 here.

• Like 1

If you could offer a HDMI, component video, or S-Video upgrade on a Colecovision or Adam computer I would be interested. All new modern TV's are using HDMI now.

The composite mod is sufficient in my opinion. Even the modern system the Nintendo Wii comes standard with composite.

• Like 1

If you could offer a HDMI, component video, or S-Video upgrade on a Colecovision or Adam computer I would be interested. All new modern TV's are using HDMI now.

Uhh yeah, you gotta get off the HDMI kick for everything. The other video standards aren't going to disappear overnight.

Uhh yeah, you gotta get off the HDMI kick for everything. The other video standards aren't going to disappear overnight.

HDMI would be ideal. For example my 24 inch 1920 X 1200 computer monitor I am using right now only has a DVI and HDMI connection. So that display can not be used to connect a Colecovision or Adam computer. I do realize that most new TV's still have composite video and component video. My 1983 Colecovision/Adam computer currently has a composite video output. All standalone Adams have composite video outputs.

S-Video and component video would offer a better picture quality compared to composite video. Most new HDTV's no longer offer a S-Video input and most only offer 1 component input. Most companies place 4 or more HDMI inputs on a HDTV that was made in 2009 and 2010.

Edited by HDTV1080P

HDMI would be ideal. For example my 24 inch 1920 X 1200 computer monitor I am using right now only has a DVI and HDMI connection. So that display can not be used to connect a Colecovision or Adam computer. I do realize that most new TV's still have composite video and component video. My 1983 Colecovision/Adam computer currently has a composite video output. All standalone Adams have composite video outputs.

S-Video and component video would offer a better picture quality compared to composite video. Most new HDTV's no longer offer a S-Video input and most only offer 1 component input. Most companies place 4 or more HDMI inputs on a HDTV that was made in 2009 and 2010. [/size][/font]

HDMI is not a practical (possible yes, but far from cost effective) upgrade for classic systems, or even items like the Colecovision 2 that Opcode is working on. You're trying to marry two different levels of technology, and it's not a likely to happen as a mod. When you talk of your 24" monitor and the Adam, you're talking a monitor that was explicitly designed for modern components to hook up to it to take advantage of their higher resolution.

Just to put this in a different perspective-- Millions more VHS VCRs were sold than were videogame consoles (collectively probably! lol), and I've STILL not seen a VHS VCR with HDMI output (not including combo decks- to me that is akin to saying "get a new PC with HDMI output and run an emulator to get it to your HMDI devices"), even knowing there's likely a much larger base of users potentially out there. Bottom line, apparently no believes such a unit would be profitable.

Your best bet, if HDMI is what you truly want or need is $100 away and can be found here I believe: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/composite-to-hdmi-scaler.html

I, for one, feel we are very fortunate to have guys like Yurkie and DoubleDown still hacking/modding these 'dead' systems for the community. It's a limited market and takes some expertise to even engineer the composite mods they've been doing! So for that, thanks for keeping the interest, Modders! :)

Edited by Murph74

I have a couple A/V modded consoles available for $100 or a Complete System with refurbished controller and power supply for $159. If you wish to buy a complete system you can have straightened original Coleco cords on the controllers for no additional charge.

• Like 1

I have a couple A/V modded consoles available for $100 or a Complete System with refurbished controller and power supply for $159. If you wish to buy a complete system you can have straightened original Coleco cords on the controllers for no additional charge.

Hey! I wanted straightened cords??? You said you couldn't do it, you didn't have cords. How do you do ORIGINAL?

Hey! I wanted straightened cords??? You said you couldn't do it, you didn't have cords. How do you do ORIGINAL?

Sorry I perfected the method after your unit and controllers where return shipped. IM sent also.

• Like 1

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, on many of these older systems, composite mods are just fine. For many older systems, going to S-Video or higher can cause color matching (among other) issues. As long as the RF and its inherent interference is bypassed, I consider it mission accomplished. And seriously, it should be quite some time before ANY still standard inputs are removed completely from modern TVs, even low quality connections like composite.

I listed a fantastic condition A/V modded ColecoVision Console in Marketplace with box and styrfoam. More pictures in Marketplace listing.

If you've been on the wall about getting a modded system from Yurkie, do yourself a favor and take the plunge already. I picked up one of these babies and recieved the unit yesterday and have been more than impressed (that's when I can get my six year old son off the thing)! My system was extremely clean, no knicks and only a small bobble in the front sticker. The single-input A/V Mod is top-notch and looks like it could have been manufactured that way by Coleco. If you have an option of the old 3-input mod or this single input mod, go with the single... it is so clean looking. Did I mentioned the video quality? Well, it a tremendous improvement over the old Channel 3/4 Switchbox and you can even hook up these modded systems the old way to compare for yourself.

I'll admit to being spoiled by the improved video that all the emulators provide, but as we all know, it's not the same as playing the real deal.

The mod'ed controller with the ball top (versus the old disk top) are incredible as well. Very clean and professionally done, so much so that people who never saw an unmodded CV would think that the controllers were manufactured this way. The better grip makes playing CV games that much easier, especially noticeable in the higher skill levels when you really can't afford any slip ups. Plus Yurkie disassembles the controller and cleans/fixes them from top to bottom.

I'll admit that the Super Action Controllers are still my favorite controller of all time followed by the Arcade Power Stick for the Sega Genesis, but these modded controllers are right up there with the others.

The only thing missing from my system was the orginal box and styrofoam and I see he has a system now with those included... oh well! I'll find one somewhere.

If this sounds like am advertisement for Yurkie, it isn't. I am just that impressed with his work. Plus it's been about 14 years since I played a game on the real system.

Jim

I listed a fantastic condition A/V modded ColecoVision Console in Marketplace with box and styrfoam. More pictures in Marketplace listing.

If you've been on the wall about getting a modded system from Yurkie, do yourself a favor and take the plunge already. I picked up one of these babies and recieved the unit yesterday and have been more than impressed (that's when I can get my six year old son off the thing)! My system was extremely clean, no knicks and only a small bobble in the front sticker. The single-input A/V Mod is top-notch and looks like it could have been manufactured that way by Coleco. If you have an option of the old 3-input mod or this single input mod, go with the single... it is so clean looking. Did I mentioned the video quality? Well, it a tremendous improvement over the old Channel 3/4 Switchbox and you can even hook up these modded systems the old way to compare for yourself.

I'll admit to being spoiled by the improved video that all the emulators provide, but as we all know, it's not the same as playing the real deal.

The mod'ed controller with the ball top (versus the old disk top) are incredible as well. Very clean and professionally done, so much so that people who never saw an unmodded CV would think that the controllers were manufactured this way. The better grip makes playing CV games that much easier, especially noticeable in the higher skill levels when you really can't afford any slip ups. Plus Yurkie disassembles the controller and cleans/fixes them from top to bottom.

I'll admit that the Super Action Controllers are still my favorite controller of all time followed by the Arcade Power Stick for the Sega Genesis, but these modded controllers are right up there with the others.

The only thing missing from my system was the orginal box and styrofoam and I see he has a system now with those included... oh well! I'll find one somewhere.

If this sounds like am advertisement for Yurkie, it isn't. I am just that impressed with his work. Plus it's been about 14 years since I played a game on the real system.

Jim

Yurk,

Can I return the system for the boxed one? ;-)

Jim

I am glad you are happy with the MOD. Starting back in 1983 the original standalone Adam computer came standard with a composite video and audio output. Of course to get audio one had to own a special cable for the ADAM.

All Colecovisions starting in 1982 only came with a standard CH3/CH4 RF output which was the worse quality connection. There was a company that was selling a kit for the Colecovision back in the 80's that allowed one to add a composite video output with an RCA audio output. I ended up getting my Colecovision upgraded back in the 80's with ok to good results.

I love the quality that my PC has with a DVI/HDMI output and a Colecovision emulator program. The Colecovision games and ADAM games can look really good on a 50 inch or 60 inch screen using a DVI or HDMI connection from a PC running a emulator program.

Since I already have a standalone Adam from 1983 with a composite output I would not need any composite video upgrade. What I am interested in is in the future maybe getting an old Colecovision or Adam upgraded to HDMI or component video output. Someone already offers a Component video output for the Colecovision. Once the component video upgrade is perfected to where the colors are correct then I will most likely try a component video upgrade if HDMI is not available.

I have used composite video since 1983 on the Adam and there is a big difference in video quality compared to RF. There is even an improvement in sound quality going from mono RF to mono RCA.

Jim,

One thing I do not like about the standalone Adam computer is that when one connects the Expansion Module #1 Atari 2600 adapter they loose complete sound or get very low sound when using the composite video with RCA audio. On the old Adam standalone's one has to use the RF output in order to get sound with the Atari 2600 adapter. This was a bug or incompatibility with the standalone Adam.

Jim with the composite video upgrade to the Colecovision are you able to get sound with a expansion module #1 Atari 2600 adapter attached?

More details about using the Atari 2600 adapter over composite video can be found at this link

http://www.atariage....ost__p__1363768

Edited by HDTV1080P

Yurk,

Can I return the system for the boxed one? icon_winking.gif

There are no serial numbers on the original Colecovision boxes. Maybe Yurk could sell you the original box and just ship the box to you parcel post. That seems like a cheaper way to get the original box.

Edited by HDTV1080P

The Sound works perfect with the Atari Module. Plus if you want to use the RF it works also.

Please.

Let me keep this thread about my single jack A/V composite mod, and customer comments.

• Like 1

The Sound works perfect with the Atari Module. Plus if you want to use the RF it works also.

Please.

Let me keep this thread about my single jack A/V composite mod, and customer comments.

I am glad to hear the Expansion module #1 ATARI 2600 adapter works fine with your composite video modification. In the past that was a issue with the ADAM computer and other peoples modifications of the Colecovision.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Please.

I am glad to hear the Expansion module #1 ATARI 2600 adapter works fine with your composite video modification. In the past that was a issue with the ADAM computer and other peoples modifications of the Colecovision.

If you tap on C88 for the audio output it's right in the middle between the audio output of the CV and the audio from the Expansion Module which makes it the perfect place to nab the audio. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

The ColecoVision on Post #9 is still available and as a special offer now through Friday March 12th at 11:59PM EST if you buy this system you get Q*bert Qubes as an added free bonus.

Here is a link for the Q*bert Qubes Cartridge

http://www.atariage....__fromsearch__1

The trade in credit is not valid with this special offer.

This console is an absolute beauty. I went over this and thoroughly cleaned everything. I cleaned the cartridge slot with De-oxit, dissembled and refurbished the power switch to like new condition. Tested it to make sure that there was absolutely no video, controller port or any other issues.

The controllers are completely refurbished. Dome contacts removed and inspected, contact points soldered and filed smooth for maximum contact. The fire buttons where desoldered and refurbished. Keypad contacts de-oxidized as well as the socket that it plugs into.The controllers have replacement ball knobs which makes gaming a lot more fun and a lot less stress on the hands.

Over and above all this it has my new A/V mod and the RF jack works also if you want to hook it up to a TV that doesn't have composite jacks.

I realized that $199 is not a small some of money, but as I am sure many people that collect for the ColecoVision have learned first hand, the ColecoVision is problematic and you could easily spend $45 for a set and have a non-working piece of garbage on your hands. Even if you get lucky and the console does work, it will more than likely be a filthy mess and it is almost a sure thing that one or both of the controllers will have issues. I wish I would have had the opportunity to buy this a little over a year ago, when I had to buy 4 off of ebay and then 1 off of craigslist, then thanks to a nice guy here on Atariage I managed to get one of them working. I have studied and learned everything I can about this awesome console from my childhood over the last year, and I hope that I can help people avoid all the hassle and expense that I had to go through.

Pending Sale for this Unit.

Sold to a gentleman in Canada.

I bought this unit off of Yurkie and I can attest to its sheer awesomeness!icon_mrgreen.gif Seriously, he did a great job restoring it and I would highly recommend buying from him or having him refurb one of your own less-than-stellar units.

He really cares about ensuring there will be classic gaming goodness for a while to come and I for one appreciate what he does.icon_thumbsup.gif (Plus he called me a gentleman which doesn't happen enough to me.icon_mrgreen.gif )

BUYER BE WARE!!!

I sent my own WORKING ColecoVision I tested it before I boxed it up. Yurkie was going to perform the A/V mod as well as switch refurb (I don't even think it needed it, but wanted to be safe and get it done) I was also getting the insides of my working ColecoVision put in a new shell because I'm from Canada and my ColecoVision was bilingual. Phus two controller refurm and ball knobs. Well it cost me $180.00 for all this and when I got it home it didn't work and the new shell was in poor condition. I contacted Yurkie and he offered to try again if I ship back he would cover return shipping. When he got my console back he said it worked fine there. He replaced the shell once again and sent it back. It cost me $20 in customs fees to get my console back and it still doesn't work with either of my power supplies. My other Colecovision works with both of the same power supplies. How can this be??? I'm out a working ColecoVision, $240.00, and my wife is super pissed.

BUYER BE WARE!!!

Edited by SHaMROCK 73