IGNORED

Mattel Aquarius

Rev

My link Courtesy of AA's very own - the topdog

Here is Intellivision's virtually unknown cousin,the aquarius.check out this great site.hopefully i will soon be a owner of one of these! :love:

here is a pic from his website,click link for lots more info!

mattel-aquarius-system.jpg

Edited by revolutionika

A lifelong school friend of mine had one right when they came out (he also had the INTV) and I eventually ended up with it in the mid to late 80's. It has the expander deal with the two controllers and a bunch of games. Wish I would have kept that little thing! I no longer have an INTV either - just the INTV Lives CD for Mac/PC (played it once - lol). Wouldn't mind another setup - but the right deal would have to come along - like a mint system w/ nearly all the games. lol Running out of energy AND room collecting this stuff. Sure is gonna suck if 2012 brings about the end of the world. Would be doing something a lot different with my money AND my time, than chasing down these old video game ghosts. lmao!

Great site btw and thanks for posting!

Edited by save2600

• 2 weeks later...

I just received a holy grail piece of Mattel Aquarius hardware today. A CIB Aquarius 4-Color Printer. I will be adding a detailed review to my site soon.

Not many of these were made for the Aquarius. They were not really a printer, rather a 4 color pen plotter. The pens were stored under the unit. Pretty cool technology for such a limited computer.

post-24636-126689766391_thumb.jpg

post-24636-126689767421_thumb.jpg

post-24636-126689768371_thumb.jpg

post-24636-126689769702_thumb.jpg

post-24636-126689784886_thumb.jpg

Edited by the-topdog

Those pens look awfully familiar. I bet that this printer is built around the same Alps mini-plotter assembly that the Atari 1020 (among several others) used. If so, you can get new pens and paper from B&C ComputerVisions. I actually like the looks of that printer better than the 1020; the clips for the pens on the bottom of the unit was a nice touch.

Those pens look awfully familiar. I bet that this printer is built around the same Alps mini-plotter assembly that the Atari 1020 (among several others) used. If so, you can get new pens and paper from B&C ComputerVisions. I actually like the looks of that printer better than the 1020; the clips for the pens on the bottom of the unit was a nice touch.

Yup! The pens and paper are interchangeable with the Alps mini-plotter. Good eye!

I picked up a Radofin branded Aquarius at a thrift for $3 a few years back. In the late 80s there was a company giving them away (I saw the flyer -- it touted it as an 'advanced' microcomputer) if you sat in on a timeshare or some kind of land promotion seminar here in the Dallas area so there might be a bunch around here. It's basically just a clunky little z-80 computer that doesn't share anything in common with the intellivision that was terribly obsolete when it was introduced.

If anyone wants to win a FREE Mattel Aquarius, it is one of the prizes in my weekly comments contest http://www.atariage....ost__p__1951315

Yay! I just submitted my first comment - 2600 Tutankham. I think it's great, this little contest of yours (have my eye on a couple of goodies). Nice site btw. Nice and clean looking. Not all junked up and littered with flashy garbage or ads.

The Aquarius, the machine with so little that was able to do so much, just look at BurgerTime or AD&D Tarmin on the Aquarius if you doubt it :)

I agree totally, the port of Burgertime for the Aquarius is one of the more playable ones of the era. But the Aquarius' untimely demise was not unexpected especially since the engineers on the project dubbed it the computer of the 70's in 1983.

• 3 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to pick up another factory sealed Mattel Aquarius modem cartridge lately for a steal (I'd feel guilty about how little I paid for it if I didn't want it so dang much). :D My other Aquarius modem is factory sealed as well so I never got a chance to play with it.

I saw this YouTube video of a guy hooking his Aquarius up to the Internet and have been dying to try it.

So I'll have a video soon of me opening a factory sealed Aquarius modem so I can finally play with one while still having a sealed specimen in my collection.

Has anyone here had any experience with hooking their Aquarius up to the Internet? If so, do you have any tips or suggestions? I'll be flying blind here so to speak.

post-24636-126868448694_thumb.jpg

Edited by the-topdog

I actually own an Aquarius but don't see them at all in the wild. My friend let me have it, for whatever he paid for it at a flea market. I think he was downsizing many of his systems. I got the expander with it too along with a complete AD&D, loose Astrosmash, and boxed Snafu, missing the instructions but having the overlays. I'm not sure exactly where I put it. Definitely out of reach or I may have posted pics.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

There may be some extremely cool news about the Mattel Aquarius in the next few days from a fellow AtariAger... stay tuned...

Are there any moderators around that can give the Aquarius it's own board and move this thread into it?

Edited by the-topdog

There may be some extremely cool news about the Mattel Aquarius in the next few days from a fellow AtariAger... stay tuned...

Are there any moderators around that can give the Aquarius it's own board and move this thread into it?

You will have to ask Albert about that.He maybe make the Aquarius a sub forum of the Intellivision forum.kinf of like colecovision/adam.

Couldnt hurt to ask.......or beg :D

And i am intrigued by the announcement.hurry up!

Did you put something extra in my box????? :lust:

There is a yahoo group for the Aquarius that has regular activity.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/mattelaquarius/

BTW, I have an Aquarius I'd like to sell if anyone is interested. It's one of the kits with the computer, RAM expansion, expander, and 1 game. The outer box had wear and marks but the inner boxes were in good condition when I last checked it.