IGNORED

Adjusting Volume on 7800

tkarner

No, there isn't, though I suppose you could change the resistor that the volume goes through to a different value to drop it.

Probably just easier to just turn the volume on the TV down.

Is your 7800 modded or anything? I don't recall ever having a problem with the volume on any of my 7800s.

Mitch

I was hoping there was a pot in there somewhere. No, it's not modded. I was using another 7800 but the picture went bad on that one so I'm using this one now. I deal with the volume as you said, just turning down the TV volume. But that doesn't solve the distortion problem caused by the gain being too high in the first place. If changing the resistor isn't too much trouble I can do that. Can someone point me in the right direction with a diagram?

I've noticed with certain games, things seem to be louder and more distorted. DK comes to mind. Maybe it's just certain games you play all the time?

The intro music and sound effects in 7800 Donkey Kong may kill some canines and may cause deafness in mice :!: :D :cool:

I agree. The Nintendo Titles for the 7800 were some of the most Horrifying Music tracks and SFX I've ever heard. The 7800 Really needed a better Sound chip. The 2600 sound that it has was the one major let down of the system for me.

Edited by kjmann

Here's the audio portion of the motherboard schematic:

post-5182-12662965825_thumb.png

Both TIA channels are tied together (AUD1 and AUD0 on the left side of the diagram)

They go through an 18K ohm resistor at R6.

The external audio from cartridges (POKEY) goes through a 6.8K ohm resistor at R5.

If either of those sources is too loud, you could check those resistors with a multimeter.

Unfortunately the resistors cover up the board markings, so it's not easy to tell where these resistors are located.

The TIA resistor (R6) could be found by checking for continuity with TIA pins 12 and 13 (which are the sound output pins).

Based on the last photo in this post

Looks like R6 is immediately to the left of the red coil, and R5 is to the left of that.

• 2 years later...

Reviving this thread for a question.

I did a composite mod, which works well..

Audio is good, and in games like BallBlazer and Commando, I can hear POKEY sounds fine..

But I tried a few homebrews (Beef Drop comes to mind) and the pokey volume seems lower. Probably intentional as I think music should generally be softer than game sounds, but when I turn up the volume so I can hear the Beef Drop music, the game sounds are MUCH louder.. ;-)

I was thinking maybe if I dropped the volume on the TIA sounds a bit, it might help...

I can do some soldering (I did the composite mod), but my understanding of what I'm doing is not that great. ;-)

What rating resistor would be likely to drop the TIA volume a bit? (Obviously, as "a bit" is relative, I'm not looking for super precise answers, just likely SWAGs)

Also, I just got a new solder rework station for Christmas and every thing I see (such as this) seems to need soldering.. ;-)

Thanx,

desiv

The mod might be limiting pokey volume too much. in my 8bit domain board pokey was really faint (among its other issues). I lowered a resistor value which helped some but I really need to lower it some more. Beef drop does use TIA for some of the sound effects. It might be that ballblazer or commando doesn't. I think ballblazer only uses pokey for sound but not sure on commando.

Using a CC2, so not sure about cart changes...

It's the 7800 mod that pops up for sale on e-bay.

Now that I try it again, Commando is also similar. When I turn up the volume so I can hear the music, the game sounds are just a bit too loud for my tastes...

BallBlazer is also similar, so I guess I didn't really notice it before, but I'm sure it's just related to my video mod.

I noticed it because of Beef Drop because that awesome pepper sound is very different from the music.. ;-)

I'm guessing I'm looking for a pretty small decrease in the TIA sounds here..

(I suppose I could look at boosting the Pokey sounds, but was thinking decreasing TIA would be easier..)

desiv

In my composite mod, I clipped the top connections(towards the back of the console) of both R5 and R6 from the board, leaving the bottom posts still attached to the board (the ends facing the joystick ports), and soldered the clipped ends of the resistors together, and this constitutes my audio signal. This gives perfectly mixed audio between TIA and POKEY.

• Like 1

The mod I used had me remove C10 and wire up the pokey to there:

http://www.vintagegamingandmore.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IMG_0514.jpg

The TIA audio came from the feed to the (now non-existant) RF modulator.

I'm wondering about maybe a potentiometer or variable resistor maybe to drop the TIA???

No idea about ratings tho...

Thanx,

desiv

Yup, that's the exact same mod I did. I've been in touch with the guy who runs that site, and from what I gather, you and I are having unusual problems in this regard. He suggested trying a 20k pot (where do I get one???) and seeing if that helps. Wonder if some kind of preamp would help too....??

Yup, that's the exact same mod I did. I've been in touch with the guy who runs that site, and from what I gather, you and I are having unusual problems in this regard.

Well, I doubt that, but.. ;-)

He suggested trying a 20k pot (where do I get one???) and seeing if that helps. Wonder if some kind of preamp would help too....??

I'm guessing an electronics shop. I could go e-bay if I was sure. Something like this:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3805234347031?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=380523434703&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

(Not endorsing that. I just searched for 20k pot on e-bay..)

But I'd rather try something out to make sure it will work...

Nice thing about a pot/VR is that, once I find the "proper" value, I could measure the resistance and people could just use a resistor in the future.

But, as I don't have a pot/VR handy, I'm not sure I want to invest yet.. ;-)

I have some resistors around, so I could just try a few and see what they do..

If the mod we chose has that issue, I'm not sure about going another mod route, as that means putting things back in and I'm not sure I saved everything I pulled out.. ;-)

desiv

Edited by desiv

Thanks, Mitch...now, I don't know much about electronics -- for example, I have no idea how to interpret a schematic, I actually need English instructions! -- so I need to ask seemingly ignorant questions...

- One end of each of the blue resistors in your picture is connected to the bottom leg of the two resistors to the left of that tall red thingy. Which resister is which, and which way should they be facing?

- Just to be clear, the now-free ends of the new resistors need to be soldered together, and then have a wire soldered to the united resistor legs???

which way should they be facing?

Ah!! That one I know!!

Doesn't matter with resistors.. They can face either way.

Well, that's the extent of my electronic expertise.. ;-)

Our mod is a bit different than the one mitch listed...

Be interesting to see if the "fix" can be back ported.. Looking at the different pickup spots, I'm not sure..

desiv

Edited by desiv