Photo

Voice Box by The Alien Group

34 replies to this topic

#26 AtariGeezer OFFLINE  

AtariGeezer

River Patroller

• 2,825 posts

Posted Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:20 PM

Excellent!  Is that the same speech chip used (planned I guess) for the 1450 line?

Yeppers...

#27 Bill Lange OFFLINE  

Bill Lange

Dragonstomper

• 906 posts

Posted Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:24 PM

I finally got my voicebox working.  

I tried hooking it up to an Atari 800XL, which didn't work.  The software would lockup when the box attempted speech.  I then tried a couple of different TRANSLATOR disks to make the 800XL act like a 800.  That didn't work either.

The keyboard wasn't working on my Atari 800, so I ordered a new mother board from Best Electronics.  Once I installed the new motherboard and my Atari 800 was working as it should, I hooked up the Voicebox through a 1050.

With BASIC installed, I ran one of the Voicebox BASIC programs from the disk.  This time everything worked.  The speech came out through my Commodore 1702 monitor.

I don't know if the Voicebox only works on the 400/800 because of the OS, but I do know that pin 12 on the SIO jack has +12v on the Atari 400/800, but not later models.   That might be the difference.  

Bill

#28 tiimko OFFLINE  

tiimko

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:57 PM

Sorry for the Commodore reference - but there is little to no trace of the sequencer software written for the C64 for the Voice Box (software was by Alien Group) - was simply called "Voice Box Music System" or alternatively "When I'm 64" .. it allowed the sequencing of the three SID channels as well as obviously the speech output from the hardware - does anyone by chance have a copy of this? DESPERATE :| 

#29 Kyle22 ONLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 3,583 posts
  • Call my BBS! telnet://broadway1.lorexddns.net

Posted Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:26 PM

You may have better luck in the Classic Computing forum, or some other place dedicated to Commies :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Commie64.png

#30 tiimko OFFLINE  

tiimko

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:17 PM

Already tried unfortunately - hence why I am posting in an Atari forum that happens to have common software hence the relevance :)

#31 JohnW OFFLINE  

JohnW

Space Invader

• 46 posts

Posted Fri Mar 2, 2018 9:34 PM

I know this thread is old but I was wondering if anyone has an ATR file for the Voicebox demo games that came with it? Looking for the AceyDucey and Green Goblins games that are on it.

Thanks

#32 Bill Lange OFFLINE  

Bill Lange

Dragonstomper

• 906 posts

Posted Fri Mar 2, 2018 10:08 PM

I have the VB #1 disks and those games probably came with VB #2.

#33 JohnW OFFLINE  

JohnW

Space Invader

• 46 posts

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:16 PM

Well I guess my version of Acey Duecy is lost to the sands of time. The non Voicebox version of Green Goblins is available though as a dump.

#34 JohnW OFFLINE  

JohnW

Space Invader

• 46 posts

Posted Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:50 AM

Well thanks to Nir Dary on Facebook we now have the second disk for Voicebox.  It has three demo games of mine that can be played without the Voicebox.

https://www.dropbox....-Games.atr?dl=0

39089212770_6ba6790056_z.jpg

#35 Savetz OFFLINE  

Savetz

Dragonstomper

• 999 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:18 AM

Here's my interview with Mike Matthews, founder of The Alien Group/Electro Harmonix: http://ataripodcast....group-voice-box

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users