IGNORED

Just for fun! Best A2600 Activision game for CV port!

Pixelboy

Best Activision game for CV conversion  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What Atari 2600 Activision game would be the most worthy of being converted to the ColecoVision?

• Chopper Command
    • Crackpots
    • Enduro
    • Frostbite
    • Ghostbusters
    • Megamania
    • Oink!
    • Plaque Attack
    • Pressure Cooker
    • Private Eye
    • Robot Tank
    • Seaquest
    • Space Shuttle
    • Spider Fighter
    • StarMaster

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Fun poll! I voted Enduro, which could also be interpreted as The Great American Cross-Country Road Race (its remake/sequel for 8-bit machines) because the platform could use a good racing game besides Turbo and Spy Hunter. Frostbite was my second contender, because its brand of gameplay is also under-represented, plus it's a very original and loved title. It's also never been ported elsewhere.

Here are the Activision titles, among the ones listed above, which to my knowledge have never received a second port (alt platform release):

Chopper Command, Crackpots, Frostbite, Oink!, Plaque Attack, Pressure Cooker, Private Eye, Robot Tank, Seaquest, Spider Fighter, StarMaster

As I mentioned above, I consider TGACCRR to be the same as Enduro. Chopper Command is basically an earthbound Defender; Robot Tank is a variation on Battlezone - a game which has been released far and wide; StarMaster is a variation on Star Raiders. The most unique titles might then be seen as: Crackpots, Frostbite, Oink!, Plaque Attack, Pressure Cooker, Private Eye, Seaquest, Spider Fighter

Is Spider Fighter sufficiently different to be perceived as "unique". Eh, maybe...

Those are just my two cents. I'm just some guy, and my opinions probably shine hard through all this.

Stampede!!! ... argh.. not in the list.. :( Lot of good activision game are not in your list.

So It is extremely hard to choose only one.

I had a big hesitation between Enduro and FrostBite.

I finally choosed FrostBite , because i spend so much time on it back in time via my Expansion Module #2 on my coleco. And i think it could be done very well on coleco with very cute graphics.

Enduro would be my second choice , and of course with steering wheel support!

Stampede!!! ... argh.. not in the list.. :( Lot of good activision game are not in your list.

I finally choosed FrostBite , because i spend so much time on it back in time via my Expansion Module #2 on my coleco. And i think it could be done very well on coleco with very cute graphics.

I would say Kaboom! Too bad there is not paddle controller support for the CV. I guess perhaps using the roller controller for it might be ok. Need more roller controller games anyway.

Yeah, I know, I left out several, and perhaps I should have included them. But I see games like Kaboom!, Dragster or Freeway as too simple, or I saw certain games like Stampede as unlikely to get votes, so that's why I didn't include them.

Yes, I know. I'm evil this way. :evil:

I assume you meant Expansion Module #1, of course. :) Indeed, most of those games could be made to look better on the CV, especially Frostbite, Pressure Cooker and StarMaster (IMHO, of course).

That'd be cool, although some people would say it would be redundant, with Turbo already available on the CV and all. :)

I saw certain games like Stampede as unlikely to get votes, so that's why I didn't include them.

Why? i see it as a very fun game.

I assume you meant Expansion Module #1, of course.

Yes, i said 2 , because it was the second i had! . the First being the Steering wheel! :)

In your list, i wouldn't put GhostBuster . Not the same generation IMHO.

I saw certain games like Stampede as unlikely to get votes, so that's why I didn't include them.

Why? i see it as a very fun game.

Well, there's nothing preventing others to say they like Stampede. So far we have one vote for that game. Would anyone else here have voted for it if it had been in the poll? :)

In your list, i wouldn't put GhostBuster . Not the same generation IMHO.

Well, Ghostbusters was created by David Crane (the main guy behind Activision) initially, and since it was released on the Atari 2600, I decided to include it.

Instead of voting, I prefer to talk because my answer is not as simple as voting.

In the list, I don't have a real favorite, except probably Pressure Cooker which I love the intro music, the fast gameplay, and the fact that it's not a space shooter. However I don't want this game for the ColecoVision because I'll think constantly that this game is small, it's a minigame, it doesn't need a 32K ROM to be played.

So, my reply to this poll is : if we can have Pressure Cooker for the ColecoVision that's cool, but if we can have some of these Activision games in a single cartridge for the ColecoVision, that's better, and if we use bankswitching, I want all the games in a single cartridge, not only a few of them.

I say Space Shuttle for the simple fact that it was just too complicated for me at 10 years old to flip all the switches on the console itself and still have fun. :) I think it would be a great potential game for the Super Action controllers, or even the stock controllers and the number pads!

I dig newcoleco's minigame collection idea. Activision's library almost fits into related themes. I decided to try my hand at categorizing some of them, with decidedly mixed results:

Action Wall

Crackpots, Kaboom, Oink!

Shooter

Plaque Attack, Spider Fighter, Megamania

Sea

Dolphin, Seaquest, Fishing Derby

Space

Laser Blast, Cosmic Commuter, Starmaster

Profession

Pressure Cooker, Frostbite, Private Eye

Sport

Boxing, Hockey, Tennis, Skiing

Racing

Grand Prix, Dragster, Enduro

Activities

Stampede, Freeway, [Fishing Derby]

Flying

Barnstorming, Sky Jinks, Imagic's Sky Patrol (yes, I'm cheating)

Edited by johnny_boy

I say Space Shuttle for the simple fact that it was just too complicated for me at 10 years old to flip all the switches on the console itself and still have fun. :) I think it would be a great potential game for the Super Action controllers, or even the stock controllers and the number pads!

I fully agree with the statement above, and that's why Space Shuttle is listed among the outsourced projects on my web site. :D

I dig newcoleco's minigame collection idea. Activision's library almost fits into related themes. I decided to try my hand at categorizing some of them, with decidedly mixed results:

Quite a nice round up. :) I'd like to give it a shot myself, if you don't mind, with a different angle that takes into account the 32K ColecoVision cart limit and also game variety (purely for marketing purposes):

Activision Favorites - Volume 1 - Early classics:

- Crackpots

- Dragster

- Freeway

Activision Favorites - Volume 2 - Head-to-Head Sports:

- Boxing

- Ice Hockey

- Tennis

Activision Favorites - Volume 3 - Shooting Gallery:

- Megamania

- Plaque Attack

- Seaquest

Activision Favorites - Volume 4 - Run-&-Jump Survival:

- Frostbite

- Pressure Cooker

Activision Favorites - Volume 5 - Animal Mania:

- Dolphin

- Oink!

- Spider Fighter

Activision Favorites - Volume 6 - Army Missions:

- Chopper Command

- Robot Tank

Activision Favorites - Volume 7 - Farm & Country Fun:

- Barnstorming

- Fishing Derby

- Stampede

I think certain games like Enduro, Private Eye, StarMaster and Space Shuttle could easely fill up 32K, especially if certain visual and gameplay improvements are introduced into the CV versions, so I can't really see those as part of any collection. Also, Telegames' Skiing is pretty similar to Activision's Skiing...

(Oops, turns out Volume 2 is the same as johnny_boy's "Sports" collection. Oh well, great minds think alike, I guess... :P )

Quite a nice round up. :) I'd like to give it a shot myself, if you don't mind, with a different angle that takes into account the 32K ColecoVision cart limit and also game variety (purely for marketing purposes):

I like your choices Pixelboy. I officially name you Director of Marketing at my young but promising ACME Gaming Co.

I like your choices Pixelboy. I officially name you Director of Marketing at my young but promising ACME Gaming Co.

I'd buy Volume 2 ,4,6 and 7. Where should i place the pre-order? When is the delivery date? :D

LOL! :D

Seriously, those games may be quite simple gameplay-wise, but each one of them hides deceptive programming challenges of various types (smooth screen scrolling, artificial intelligence, etc.) and it would take forever for a homebrew coder to do them all. It's a sad fact, to say the least...

I'd buy Volume 2 ,4,6 and 7. Where should i place the pre-order? When is the delivery date? :D

LOL! :D

Seriously, those games may be quite simple gameplay-wise, but each one of them hides deceptive programming challenges of various types (smooth screen scrolling, artificial intelligence, etc.) and it would take forever for a homebrew coder to do them all. It's a sad fact, to say the least...

Well, and if each programmer decide to do a particular volume that he thinks can handle, that will make the project easier to realise. I can try to do Volume 4, not now because I've too much things to do, but, like I've said, my favorite game in the list is probably Pressure Cooker.

Well, and if each programmer decide to do a particular volume that he thinks can handle, that will make the project easier to realise. I can try to do Volume 4, not now because I've too much things to do, but, like I've said, my favorite game in the list is probably Pressure Cooker.

Perhaps this will help... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I would go with Enduro first, then Ghostbusters. Enduro is so cool, the atmosphere as you race from morning to night is really great. In fact I was thinking about a way to create the smooth scrolling tracks the other day. Actually I was thinking about Pole Position, but Enduro would use it too.

Can i put a preorder on "Catch the Roadrunner!"? :lol:

-Darren-