IGNORED

Harmony Menu Character Set

A.J. Franzman

I've been working with batari to write the SD card driver. The driver supports FAT12/16/32 file-systems with long filenames (but only the root directory). The filenames are loaded 10-at-a-time into SRAM, and the first 24 characters are displayed in the menu. There is a limited character set, so all symbols and special characters are shown as dots.

Upon trying out my new Harmony cart, I notice that the character set differs from that description. From the quote above and early videos, I assumed it would be 63 or 64 characters or thereabouts (26 uppercase + 26 lowercase + 10 numerals + dot + ???), but on mine I see several "symbols and special characters" that do not appear as dots, including at least: space, minus, parenthesis, brackets, tilde. Can you please list the complete character set available in the 1.04 BIOS, so we know what we have to work with when setting up the binaries?

P.S. I already know the filesystem driver now supports nested folders, and not only the root directory as in the quote.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Is this character:

.. (double dot)
the one obtained by ALT+0168 on the keypad in Windows?

We use this special character for abbreviating and navigating backwards, but AFAIK not for displaying file names.

So I don't think it is mapped to the code, though cd-w should know better, since he does provide the menu with all data.

BTW, I think you're probably already aware but I'll point it out for others' benefit, that two of the characters you listed above, ( : ) {colon} and ( / ) {slash}, are not permitted within filenames, at least under Windows.

IIRC (don't have a cart with me now) the / is used for displaying the path, maybe the : was or is used for special stuff too.

BTW, I think you're probably already aware but I'll point it out for others' benefit, that two of the characters you listed above, ( : ) {colon} and ( / ) {slash}, are not permitted within filenames, at least under Windows.
IIRC (don't have a cart with me now) the / is used for displaying the path, maybe the : was or is used for special stuff too.

You're right, the cart does display the slash in the path name when navigating to sub-folders. But my main reason for asking was to find out what characters I could put into filenames (to cut down the outrageous length of some of Rom Hunter's filenames by replacing some common terms with abbreviations and special characters). So / and : don't help me. Have you found out yet whether the "double dot" is available for users? Are there any other characters you might have missed in your list, such as capitals with umlauts?

You're right, the cart does display the slash in the path name when navigating to sub-folders. But my main reason for asking was to find out what characters I could put into filenames (to cut down the outrageous length of some of Rom Hunter's filenames by replacing some common terms with abbreviations and special characters). So / and : don't help me. Have you found out yet whether the "double dot" is available for users? Are there any other characters you might have missed in your list, such as capitals with umlauts?

I used the ISO-8859-1 character codes for the menu system. Only the characters that Thomas stated above have direct mappings, but many of the others map to visually similar characters. Character codes 171 and 187 (the double left and right arrows) map to the double dot symbol.

Chris