IGNORED

My Lynx-pixel-experiments

108 Stars

Hiya.

After people seemed a bit interested on stuff like this in the games that could be done on Lynx-thread I decided to open my own, where I will just ask for feedback.

The first thing is a screen with sprites for how a Lynx-beat´em up could look like. And before you tell me that´s a fighting game, not a bemu: No. I am a European, and in Europe this genre has always been called beat´em up. :)

I don´t post the background which is also in the works yet...but I want to know your opinion on a thing.

You see the fighter on the right; I chose a bit of a cartoonish style, but not totally off.

The thing is: Many Lynx games have sprites with black outlines. So I did it with black outlines as well, but I am not sure if I should keep them. They are not usually used in bemus...but the Lynx screen is a bit shitty and it only has 16 colors, so maybe it would be bad for visibility to leave them away.

Ignore the sprite on the left and just tell me which of the two blond ones looks better. :)

And mind you, these are early WIP and in no way final.

post-21561-126649586673_thumb.png

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 1

Ignore the sprite on the left and just tell me which of the two blond ones looks better. :)

And mind you, these are early WIP and in no way final.

Man, that's a tough call. I would have to say the one on the left, since having the outline also seems to bring out more detail. The guy's chest muscles, for instance, are a bit more defined/noticable.

It might also depend on the background, but I don't think you could go wrong with having outlines.

Good artwork. I hope something comes of this, since I love beat-em-ups. Double Dragon, both the Lynx and the ST versions, and Fighting Force from the PS1 are some of my favorites.

Cheers,

Smeg

Here is what it might look like on a little mock up I did with a dark background.icon_mrgreen.gif

And the outline will make the character standout better on a lighter backgrond.

You have to whatch out for background and characters blending to much without a outline on the lynx screen.

I still like the outline better, you can see where the arms and hands are when over the body.icon_shades.gif

post-6530-126654338645_thumb.png

Edited by nonner242

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Sorry, I planned to update this earlier, but my Windows broke, and being the PC-expert I am I saw no other way than to format the partition and reinstall.

Sadly, doing that I lost my pixel-experiments , including the almost dinished background I had done.

This teaches me to never store my stuff on the same partition as Windows again.

I will finish it, but before that I must redo some work for an unannounced project by matashen, work wich was also lost.

I hope to post updates here soon. :)

Hey guys!

Sorry, I planned to update this earlier, but my Windows broke, and being the PC-expert I am I saw no other way than to format the partition and reinstall.

Sadly, doing that I lost my pixel-experiments , including the almost dinished background I had done.

This teaches me to never store my stuff on the same partition as Windows again.

I will finish it, but before that I must redo some work for an unannounced project by matashen, work wich was also lost.

I hope to post updates here soon. :)

AARGHH - Oh NO!

• 6 months later...

After a long time, here is anther Lynx-mock-up. This one is a game that was released on many platforms, but sadly not the Lynx. This here gives an impression of what a port for the Lynx could look like.

namethisgame.png

I had to squeeze all the lifes, timer etc together very much to make up for the limited vertical resolution of the Lynx; in other versions of the game all this data takes up quite a bit of the screen.

name this game.bmp

Edited by 108 Stars

• 5 months later...

I noticed the Lynx is missing a wrestling game....so I thought I'd see how one could look on the Lynx. :)

wrestlynx.png

wrestlynx.bmp

Also to have them all stored here I'll post my isometric RPG mock-up. Wanted to post my JRPG mock up too, but I can't find it right now :)

lynxisorpgstudie.png

Lynx-Iso_rpg_studie.bmp

Lastly 3 old concept pics for Atariri, an idea I had a year or two ago about a game placing you in charge of Atari, that would let you copete with the competition using various mini games. Proved to be too complex of a concept though. The pics of Sam would have used the high color trick in my ideas. Pic 3 shows one of the mini games, having Sam try to get the Jaguar into shops in a little jump'n run.

atariri1m.pngatariri2.pngatariri3.png

Atariri_1.bmpAtariri_2.bmpAtariri_3.bmp

Basically uploading this old stuff because I find myself losing material on my HDDs all the time...

Edited by 108 Stars